wut is windows xp hotfix sp2??

ok, i think i know what a xp hotfix is-it's like a security patch or
something that you need if you have sp1 and they get deleted when you install
sp2 right? well, i don't think i've installed sp2 on my system, but on my
add/remove programs list, along with all these hotfix's, i see this 'windows
xp hotfix (sp2) see q329115 for more info' well what is this? does that mean
i have sp2 installed??

No, that is an update that is replaced by SP-2.
When you install SP-2, that entry will go away.

Right click My Computer
Click Properties

What is the last line under "System"?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

In news:40F8A25B-2B0A-4FDE-B517-97E4B7A3A1DD@microsoft.com,
keisuke <keisuke@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> ok, i think i know what a xp hotfix is-it's like a security
> patch or
> something that you need if you have sp1 and they get deleted
> when you
> install sp2 right?

No exactly. They are patches, often security-oriented. But they
have nothing to with what service pack level you are at. There
were pre-SP1 hotfixes, post-SP1 hotfixes, and post-SP2 hotfixes.

However, normally when you install a service pack, it
incorporates and replaces (and therefore deletes) all the
previous hotfixes.

> well, i don't think i've installed sp2 on my
> system, but on my add/remove programs list, along with all
> these
> hotfix's, i see this 'windows xp hotfix (sp2) see q329115 for
> more
> info' well what is this? does that mean i have sp2 installed??

No. The "SP2" means only that these were candidates to be
included in SP2 and will be deleted when it is installed.

Microsoft's terminology is terrible here, and you are far from
the only person to have been confused by this.

Please reply to the newsgroup

keisuke wrote:

>i think i know what a xp hotfix is-it's like a security patch or
>something that you need if you have sp1 and they get deleted when you install
>sp2 right? well, i don't think i've installed sp2 on my system, but on my
>add/remove programs list, along with all these hotfix's, i see this 'windows
>xp hotfix (sp2) see q329115

That is an earlier fix that was a candidate for inclusion in SP2 (and in
due course was). Look it up at
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;329115

and similarly any other hotfix numbers