Sign in with
Your question

Problems setting up AD

Last response: in Business Computing
January 8, 2013 11:49:30 PM

I am trying to set up the AD DS in my test environment (VM of WS2012 Standart).

I set up the AD DS as a forest, but now when i start up the AD Admin center, it tells me that it cannot find an available server :/ .

I have checked if i am running the service (i am), checked if it is listening to the one 9xxx port (it is), and if its not blocked in the firewall (its not).

I am confused now at what i have done wrong. Do you have any suggestions?

More about : problems setting

January 9, 2013 12:39:49 AM

Do you have DNS working, and can you ping the DC by name. Is your machine added to the domain?
January 9, 2013 6:57:51 AM

How would i go about doing that locally? I only have the 1 server, and i am just trying to learn all of this stuff.

What i have done is just the basics:
1) install AD DS
2) promote the local server to DC
3) Set up a new forest as test.local

Related resources
January 9, 2013 11:39:15 AM

Your server needs a static IP. Your DNS IPs should point back to your server, not to your router or public DNS addresses.

If your server IP is 192.168.1.100, your DNS server should be 192.138.1.100 or the loopback, 127.0.0.1. Gateway should point to your router.

Within DNS you want to configure your Forwarders to point to your public DNS IP addresses.
January 9, 2013 2:18:43 PM

riser said:
Your server needs a static IP. Your DNS IPs should point back to your server, not to your router or public DNS addresses.

If your server IP is 192.168.1.100, your DNS server should be 192.138.1.100 or the loopback, 127.0.0.1. Gateway should point to your router.

Within DNS you want to configure your Forwarders to point to your public DNS IP addresses.

Alright, i suspect that the problem was to do with some reinstalation of something, because i re installed the server (the whole thing) and now it all works, annoying stuff.

Thanks for the help all tho!
!