Rocket Sorc build?

Last response: in Video Games
May 3, 2005 2:55:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Hi,

Over in a.g.diablo2 we're discussing Sorc build alternatives, and one of
the builds under discussion was a nova-based sorc.

Overhere I read a bit about a build called the 'RocketSorc' but I never
got a clear idea of how this build exactly functions, and why it's so
powerful.

Anyone care to explain for us less experienced players?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick.

More about : rocket sorc build

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:55:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in

> Over in a.g.diablo2 we're discussing Sorc build alternatives, and one of
> the builds under discussion was a nova-based sorc.
>
> Overhere I read a bit about a build called the 'RocketSorc' but I never
> got a clear idea of how this build exactly functions, and why it's so
> powerful.
>
> Anyone care to explain for us less experienced players?

Never heard of it, but by guessing I would say that it's an inferno
sorceress. That's the only one that would look like a rocket. However,
judging by the skill damage, I would guess that I'm wrong. :)

Hoggie
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:55:23 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over in a.g.diablo2 we're discussing Sorc build alternatives, and one
of
> the builds under discussion was a nova-based sorc.
>
> Overhere I read a bit about a build called the 'RocketSorc' but I
never
> got a clear idea of how this build exactly functions, and why it's so

> powerful.
>
> Anyone care to explain for us less experienced players?

Methinks this is mine to answer, having mor eor less developed the
breed.

Max Fbolt and Fball
Max Nova
Pump up the two masteries, fire first as it benefits more.
a few points in Energy Shield

Base VIT
Enough STR to wear frosties
Base DEX
ENERGY ENERGY ENERGY

Get a rabbi (prayer merc, for the uninitiated) with an Insight stick.

As for equipment, I will list the best of the best and let people work
out how to get there with what they have

Rings: 2 SOJs
Ammy : Mara's
Gloves: FrostBurns
Belt: Arachnid's
Boots: Choice, depending on charms.
Armor: Vipermagi
Weapon: Oculus, or, if you havethe runes for it, HoTa, with a CTA on
the switch for the BO
Shield: Sprit, or Lidless wall with a P-Diamond

With this setup, you should have a TON of mana. With the rabbi pumping
up both your health and hour mana (with his insight stick), and with
either the CTA or a nice barb around, this build is nearly
indestructible, and as fast as a greased pig.

Mickey
May 3, 2005 4:13:02 PM

Seppo Tolonen wrote::

> Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote in
>
>>Over in a.g.diablo2 we're discussing Sorc build alternatives, and one of
>>the builds under discussion was a nova-based sorc.
>>
>>Overhere I read a bit about a build called the 'RocketSorc' but I never
>>got a clear idea of how this build exactly functions, and why it's so
>>powerful.
>>
>>Anyone care to explain for us less experienced players?
>
> Never heard of it, but by guessing I would say that it's an inferno
> sorceress. That's the only one that would look like a rocket. However,
> judging by the skill damage, I would guess that I'm wrong. :)

I'm fairly sure that a combination of fire ball and nova is meant, but
I'm not sure about the details. A google search didn't reveal anything
useful so far.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <1115135439.331582.105310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> [Request for RocketSorc build info]
>
> >Methinks this is mine to answer, having mor eor less developed the
> >breed.
> >
> >Max Fbolt and Fball
> >Max Nova
> >Pump up the two masteries, fire first as it benefits more.
> >a few points in Energy Shield
> >
> >Base VIT
> >Enough STR to wear frosties
> >Base DEX
> >ENERGY ENERGY ENERGY
> >
> >Get a rabbi (prayer merc, for the uninitiated) with an Insight
stick.

> I don't really understand this; if you have a low level ES, and low
level
> telekinesis, it will only absorb a small part of the damage you
receive;
> the rest is passed on, and will have to be dealt with by your other
gear
> (DR, resists, magic/elemental aborb, that kind of stuff).

You wont have a low level, with this build. You will get +3 from your
weapon, +2 from your hat and shield, +2 from your rings, +2 from your
ammy, +1 from your belt. This is +10 too all skills, and we haven't
begun to discuss charms :)

> I don't see that magic mdr/dr gear on your sorc below, so how do you
deal
> with that?

By being VERY fast. At the rate this sorc can move, and given that her
ES is absorbing well over 60% of all damage, and the fact that she will
have maxed resists, not much can really hurt her.

> Also, what are this builds strengths/weaknesses: where does it excel,

> where will it 'suffer'?

She really excells in the throne room, especially in NM mode. This is
the best build around for power leveling other chars. I was able to
take anyone from level 24 to level 72 in about 2.5 hours. She doesn't
do so well playing solo, she is far better playing in a large party.

> And how do you do battle? Teleport in the middle of a pack, and start

> Nova-ing,

Assuming they aren't LI, I SF them down to the max (25% life in NM, 50%
in hell) and then teleport into the middle and blast nova.

> or do you keep near the edge, and nova from there? Which spell
> is her primary attack? FB or Nova?

Nova in normal and NM, FB more often in hell mode.

Mickey

> >As for equipment, I will list the best of the best and let people
work
> >out how to get there with what they have
> >
> >Rings: 2 SOJs
> >Ammy : Mara's
> >Gloves: FrostBurns
> >Belt: Arachnid's
> >Boots: Choice, depending on charms.
> >Armor: Vipermagi
> >Weapon: Oculus, or, if you havethe runes for it, HoTa, with a CTA on
> >the switch for the BO
> >Shield: Sprit, or Lidless wall with a P-Diamond
>
> This more or less like the standard unique sorc setup.
>
> >With this setup, you should have a TON of mana. With the rabbi
pumping
> >up both your health and hour mana (with his insight stick), and with
> >either the CTA or a nice barb around, this build is nearly
> >indestructible, and as fast as a greased pig.
>
> OK, so it seems the Prayer aura on the merc, synergized by the
Insight
> stick's Meditation aura, is what keeps the Sorc's health up.
>
> How much life/mana does this merc setup regenerate then? I've used a
> Prayer merc before, but wasn't really that impressed by the life
> regeneration of one...?
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 1:54:16 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <1115215618.684974.258110@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
>
> >> I don't really understand this; if you have a low level ES, and
low
> >level
> >> telekinesis, it will only absorb a small part of the damage you
> >receive;
> >> the rest is passed on, and will have to be dealt with by your
other
> >gear
> >> (DR, resists, magic/elemental aborb, that kind of stuff).
> >
> >You wont have a low level, with this build. You will get +3 from
your
> >weapon, +2 from your hat and shield, +2 from your rings, +2 from
your
> >ammy, +1 from your belt. This is +10 too all skills, and we haven't
> >begun to discuss charms :)
>
> OK, so it's not level 1, but it's not lvl 20+ either, which is where
the
> amount of damage that leaks through ES is so small, that MDR/DR by
points
> mods begin to affect/counter it...

Anything over 60% is good enough with a Rabbi around.

> I'll probably try to put 1 point in ES on my current CL/FO sorc, to
see
> what results I book (she has about +10 or so skills).
>
> >> I don't see that magic mdr/dr gear on your sorc below, so how do
you
> >deal
> >> with that?
> >
> >By being VERY fast. At the rate this sorc can move, and given that
her
> >ES is absorbing well over 60% of all damage, and the fact that she
will
> >have maxed resists, not much can really hurt her.
>
> By looking at the equipment you specified, I see a lot of stuff that
has
> little to no resists. So where do the resists come from? Charms?

50% (max) Vipermagi (with UM)35% to 3 resist Sprit,
20% Oculus until you can use the Hoto.
25% (max) on 2 resist from boots such as Natalya's, or even more from a
nice rare pair
30% (max) from Mara's

You can also park an UM in the Shako, and extract it later if you want
to go MFing.

> >> Also, what are this builds strengths/weaknesses: where does it
excel,
> >> where will it 'suffer'?
> >
> >She really excells in the throne room, especially in NM mode. This
is
> >the best build around for power leveling other chars. I was able to
> >take anyone from level 24 to level 72 in about 2.5 hours. She
doesn't
> >do so well playing solo, she is far better playing in a large party.
>
> Ah, that last fact is what I wanted to know, because I rather like
playing
> chars that _can_ play solo...

Oh, she can, just not as well in hell mode. In NM mode, I can blow away
the throne room solo in an 8 player game in a matter of seconds.

> >> And how do you do battle? Teleport in the middle of a pack, and
start
> >> Nova-ing,
> >
> >Assuming they aren't LI, I SF them down to the max (25% life in NM,
50%
> >in hell) and then teleport into the middle and blast nova.
>
> Roger that.
>
> >> or do you keep near the edge, and nova from there? Which spell
> >> is her primary attack? FB or Nova?
> >
> >Nova in normal and NM, FB more often in hell mode.
>
> Hmmkey.
>
> >Mickey
>
> I see you've stopped here, but care to comment on my Rabbi-related
> questions below? I'll leave them in below:
>
> >> OK, so it seems the Prayer aura on the merc, synergized by the
> >Insight
> >> stick's Meditation aura, is what keeps the Sorc's health up.
> >>
> >> How much life/mana does this merc setup regenerate then? I've used
> >> Prayer merc before, but wasn't really that impressed by the life
> >> regeneration of one...?
>
> I'm interested in the above, because I guess the synergy part only
starts
> work once the merc's Prayer is synergized by the Meditation aura from
the
> Insight stick, and vice-versa. I also suppose mana is regenerated
more
> quickly on a Prayer/Insight combo, than on a HF/Insight combo?

Not sure on the numbers, but I know that until I get deep into hell
mode, neither of my balls (yes yes, I know this is a softball for a
joke) moves much. They do synergize each other, so the regen rate is
quite high.

Mickey
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:10:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1115135439.331582.105310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

[Request for RocketSorc build info]

>Methinks this is mine to answer, having mor eor less developed the
>breed.
>
>Max Fbolt and Fball
>Max Nova
>Pump up the two masteries, fire first as it benefits more.
>a few points in Energy Shield
>
>Base VIT
>Enough STR to wear frosties
>Base DEX
>ENERGY ENERGY ENERGY
>
>Get a rabbi (prayer merc, for the uninitiated) with an Insight stick.

I don't really understand this; if you have a low level ES, and low level
telekinesis, it will only absorb a small part of the damage you receive;
the rest is passed on, and will have to be dealt with by your other gear
(DR, resists, magic/elemental aborb, that kind of stuff).

I don't see that magic mdr/dr gear on your sorc below, so how do you deal
with that?

Also, what are this builds strengths/weaknesses: where does it excel,
where will it 'suffer'?

And how do you do battle? Teleport in the middle of a pack, and start
Nova-ing, or do you keep near the edge, and nova from there? Which spell
is her primary attack? FB or Nova?

>As for equipment, I will list the best of the best and let people work
>out how to get there with what they have
>
>Rings: 2 SOJs
>Ammy : Mara's
>Gloves: FrostBurns
>Belt: Arachnid's
>Boots: Choice, depending on charms.
>Armor: Vipermagi
>Weapon: Oculus, or, if you havethe runes for it, HoTa, with a CTA on
>the switch for the BO
>Shield: Sprit, or Lidless wall with a P-Diamond

This more or less like the standard unique sorc setup.

>With this setup, you should have a TON of mana. With the rabbi pumping
>up both your health and hour mana (with his insight stick), and with
>either the CTA or a nice barb around, this build is nearly
>indestructible, and as fast as a greased pig.

OK, so it seems the Prayer aura on the merc, synergized by the Insight
stick's Meditation aura, is what keeps the Sorc's health up.

How much life/mana does this merc setup regenerate then? I've used a
Prayer merc before, but wasn't really that impressed by the life
regeneration of one...?

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 5:23:46 PM

Sonni Skammelsen wrote:
> Mickey wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > Oh, she can, just not as well in hell mode. In NM mode, I can blow
away
> > the throne room solo in an 8 player game in a matter of seconds.
> >

> Well, that doesn't really say much, a naked fully skilled sorc can
clear
> throne in matter of seconds in nm, heck even a barb using a little
necro
> stick could do that.

Not in 2 minutes :)

> > [snip]
> > Not sure on the numbers, but I know that until I get deep into hell
> > mode, neither of my balls (yes yes, I know this is a softball for a
> > joke) moves much. They do synergize each other, so the regen rate
is
> > quite high.
> >

> Thats where is starts to count.
> The only sorc i've seen build close to this was pre insight and her
> career ended in hell before making it to guardian.

Mine is level 97 :o )

Mickey
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:41:34 PM

> [...]

>Nova in normal and NM, FB more often in hell mode.

Hmmkey.

>Mickey

I see you've stopped here, but care to comment on my Rabbi-related
questions below? I'll leave them in below:

>> OK, so it seems the Prayer aura on the merc, synergized by the
>Insight
>> stick's Meditation aura, is what keeps the Sorc's health up.
>>
>> How much life/mana does this merc setup regenerate then? I've used a
>> Prayer merc before, but wasn't really that impressed by the life
>> regeneration of one...?

I'm interested in the above, because I guess the synergy part only starts
work once the merc's Prayer is synergized by the Meditation aura from the
Insight stick, and vice-versa. I also suppose mana is regenerated more
quickly on a Prayer/Insight combo, than on a HF/Insight combo?

May 4, 2005 10:42:24 PM

On Wed, 04 May 2005 16:41:34 +0200, Patrick Vervoorn
> [...]

>>Nova in normal and NM, FB more often in hell mode.
>
>Hmmkey.
>
>>Mickey
>
>I see you've stopped here, but care to comment on my Rabbi-related
>questions below? I'll leave them in below:
>
>>> OK, so it seems the Prayer aura on the merc, synergized by the
>>Insight
>>> stick's Meditation aura, is what keeps the Sorc's health up.
>>>
>>> How much life/mana does this merc setup regenerate then? I've used a
>>> Prayer merc before, but wasn't really that impressed by the life
>>> regeneration of one...?
>
>I'm interested in the above, because I guess the synergy part only starts
>work once the merc's Prayer is synergized by the Meditation aura from the
>Insight stick, and vice-versa. I also suppose mana is regenerated more
>quickly on a Prayer/Insight combo, than on a HF/Insight combo?

As you stated correctly, the Meditation aura gets a synergy from the
Prayer the merc can do. In fact, the healing rate is almost doubled
for an insight-wielding Rabbi. I dont have the exact numbers here atm,
but that should be no problem, just take a quick look at the
pally-skill chart on the AS. What you get with this combo is virtual
immunity. I have two chars with that setup, a Standard-Tals-Sorc and a
Trapsin, and i havent touched a potion for quite a while. Count with
~90-100 life regen per 2 seconds (the prayer pulse frequency).

Not too shabby, eh?

>Regards,
>
>Patrick.

Kai "WoW-Addict"
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 11:54:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1115225656.706327.211870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

[ES level and effectiveness]

>Anything over 60% is good enough with a Rabbi around.

Finally seeing some numbers from the Rabbi-dude, I'm getting the whole
picture. :)

>> By looking at the equipment you specified, I see a lot of stuff that
>has
>> little to no resists. So where do the resists come from? Charms?
>

>50% (max) Vipermagi (with UM)35% to 3 resist Sprit,
>20% Oculus until you can use the Hoto.
>25% (max) on 2 resist from boots such as Natalya's, or even more from a
>nice rare pair
>30% (max) from Mara's
>
>You can also park an UM in the Shako, and extract it later if you want
>to go MFing.

Hmmm, yes, it all adds up indeed.

>Oh, she can, just not as well in hell mode. In NM mode, I can blow away
>the throne room solo in an 8 player game in a matter of seconds.

The idea is to therefore mostly farm NM Baal with her?

[Insight numbers]

>Not sure on the numbers, but I know that until I get deep into hell
>mode, neither of my balls (yes yes, I know this is a softball for a
>joke) moves much. They do synergize each other, so the regen rate is
>quite high.

See other post; someone provided some interesting answers; definately
something to keep in mind with my next sorc...

>Mickey

Thanks for elaborating,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:03:40 AM

Mickey wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Oh, she can, just not as well in hell mode. In NM mode, I can blow away
> the throne room solo in an 8 player game in a matter of seconds.

Well, that doesn't really say much, a naked fully skilled sorc can clear
throne in matter of seconds in nm, heck even a barb using a little necro
stick could do that.

> [snip]
> Not sure on the numbers, but I know that until I get deep into hell
> mode, neither of my balls (yes yes, I know this is a softball for a
> joke) moves much. They do synergize each other, so the regen rate is
> quite high.

Thats where is starts to count.
The only sorc i've seen build close to this was pre insight and her
career ended in hell before making it to guardian.

--
Sonni

-=-=-
for %%Friendly in ( DOS, VMS, Unix ) echo %%Friendly.....DOS..VMS.....
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:58:39 AM

How do you get 90-100 life? A Prayer Merc will naturally have a level
15-18 Prayer aura, as I see here...

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/index.php?showt...

Using a skill calculator, even at level 20, the healing only gets to 25
every 2 seconds. If we double that due to the Prayer "synergy" for
meditation we get 50. You would need to get to slvl 29 to get up to
90-100 life per 2 seconds. +11 skills on a merc is pretty tough I
imagine. Am I not understanding something? Is that not how it works?

Can somebody please explain it to me? My soon-to-be ES Sorc would like
some answers.
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:13:42 AM

Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> > In article <1115135439.331582.105310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> > Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

<big snip>

> > >Shield: Sprit, or Lidless wall with a P-Diamond

Just a quick question : if you use spirit, you would need at less 156 str?
isn't it a big waste since all her other gears need 60 or so str only?
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:57:11 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <1115225656.706327.211870@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> [ES level and effectiveness]
>
> >Anything over 60% is good enough with a Rabbi around.
>
> Finally seeing some numbers from the Rabbi-dude, I'm getting the
whole
> picture. :)

This build was highly viable even without the Insight stick. Mine was
able to blow away just about everything in her path. Now, if you also
happen to have a REALLY fast connection, she is great for dealing with
PKs if you know how. What you do is you wait for said PK to arrive, and
you start teleporting all around him as fast as you can. You do this
for about 30 seconds, and ye olde PK will be so desynced that you can
just walk up and fireball him to death.

> >> By looking at the equipment you specified, I see a lot of stuff
that
> >has
> >> little to no resists. So where do the resists come from? Charms?
> >

> >50% (max) Vipermagi (with UM)35% to 3 resist Sprit,
> >20% Oculus until you can use the Hoto.
> >25% (max) on 2 resist from boots such as Natalya's, or even more
from a
> >nice rare pair
> >30% (max) from Mara's
> >
> >You can also park an UM in the Shako, and extract it later if you
want
> >to go MFing.
>
> Hmmm, yes, it all adds up indeed.
>
> >Oh, she can, just not as well in hell mode. In NM mode, I can blow
away
> >the throne room solo in an 8 player game in a matter of seconds.
>
> The idea is to therefore mostly farm NM Baal with her?

That is one use. Her %MF will not be high, but the speed with which she
can find her way down and kill makes up for it. Her best use is to
power level your friends. On thelast ladder, I was holding weekly
rushes, where I was taking 7 players from level 24 to level 70+ in 2.5
to 3 hours.

> [Insight numbers]
>
> >Not sure on the numbers, but I know that until I get deep into hell
> >mode, neither of my balls (yes yes, I know this is a softball for a
> >joke) moves much. They do synergize each other, so the regen rate is
> >quite high.
>
> See other post; someone provided some interesting answers; definately

> something to keep in mind with my next sorc...
>
> >Mickey
>
> Thanks for elaborating,

Always a pleasure to help out,

Mickey
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:35:53 PM

Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
> Kai "WoW-Addict"

No kidding, eh?
--
Erich
Kroagg - L27 Orc Warrior - Sunstrider

On Fri, 06 May 2005 08:35:53 +0200, Erich <kroagg@sunstrider.europe>
wrote:

>Kai Scholz-Starke wrote:
>> Kai "WoW-Addict"
>
>No kidding, eh?

No, Erich, no kidding. Its friday morning, 9.15, i just woke up and
i'm thinking: "2 hours maintenance still to go! What the heck am i
supposed to do!"

erm, i think i take a shower first :-)

Cheers Kai
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 5:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1115312231.302805.13840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>> Finally seeing some numbers from the Rabbi-dude, I'm getting the
>whole
>> picture. :)
>
>This build was highly viable even without the Insight stick. Mine was
>able to blow away just about everything in her path. Now, if you also
>happen to have a REALLY fast connection, she is great for dealing with
>PKs if you know how. What you do is you wait for said PK to arrive, and
>you start teleporting all around him as fast as you can. You do this
>for about 30 seconds, and ye olde PK will be so desynced that you can
>just walk up and fireball him to death.

I haven't met any PK's yet, but that's probably because I don't play in
public games that much. :)  It certainly sounds like a nice build, but I'm
still not sure if I'm going to do it. My first sorc was an FO/CL sorc, and
while it is certainly a very viable build for the whole game (except
perhaps the ancients), I overlooked the fact of adding fire damage.

Current project is an FB/FO sorc, with Static Field at least adding some
additional damage for CI/FI monsters. I'm curious how this works out.

Perhaps after that, if I'm still not bored of sorcs, I'll build the
'RocketSorc'; also Hansjoerg seems to be building one for sure, so I'll
also hear from him how he likes it...

>> The idea is to therefore mostly farm NM Baal with her?
>
>That is one use. Her %MF will not be high, but the speed with which she
>can find her way down and kill makes up for it. Her best use is to
>power level your friends. On thelast ladder, I was holding weekly
>rushes, where I was taking 7 players from level 24 to level 70+ in 2.5
>to 3 hours.

That's fast indeed!

>> Thanks for elaborating,
>
>Always a pleasure to help out,

And as always much appreciated,

>Mickey

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:03:34 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <1115312231.302805.13840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

>>Mine was
>>able to blow away just about everything in her path. Now, if you also
>>happen to have a REALLY fast connection, she is great for dealing with
>>PKs if you know how. What you do is you wait for said PK to arrive, and
>>you start teleporting all around him as fast as you can. You do this
>>for about 30 seconds, and ye olde PK will be so desynced that you can
>>just walk up and fireball him to death.

> Perhaps after that, if I'm still not bored of sorcs, I'll build the
> 'RocketSorc'; also Hansjoerg seems to be building one for sure, so I'll
> also hear from him how he likes it...

My other messsage in agd2 should contain a few more details (i hope it
didn't get lost again), here just a short answer:

Mickey describes the feel of it quite well. As long as she has enough
mana, she's a killer. The fireball packs a lot of power, and the nova
has a really fast cast rate so I think it will develop into a killer,
too. You'll play her fast and agile.

Mine (lvl 51 right now, halfways through the build process) is currently
suffering from low mana. That means for a short time, she can burst into
action and wipe out a whole group or area quickly. It gives a feel of
immense power in that moments. But if mana is gone, she's helpless.

So, until I get better gear and perhaps put more points into energy, I
have to go a slower pace most of the time, and only use the full power
in emergency situations, followed by a recovery period. Luckily mana
potions are plenty, so it's not a real problem.

The name "rocket" matches perfectly, both the action of combined
fireball and nova, as well as the bursts of power if you really start.

I only have a half one so far, the build was planned to be basically
'complete' at lvl 80-something and she's just lvl 51, so there are 30+
skill points missing mostly in the lightning skill tree.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <e6qh71p93g8snbroes2fm23e7lelifc11q@4ax.com>,
> LineNoise <linenoise@pobox.com> wrote:

>>As far as Insight, it's not really needed. With a sufficiently large mana
>>ball (and you want it *big* with this build), you're regenerating mana even
>>when you're spamming FB, the only thing that will actually drain you is
>>Nova. The only real reason for Insight is to counter Mana Burn. But
>>that's playing with fire, and not advised. Better to do what a sorc does
>>right, TP the heck out of there and lay waste with the FB. Or get the merc
>>in between you and the pack before you try to Nova.
>
> The 'Rabbi' still sounds interesting, and since I can rather easily test
> it out by hiring a Normal Act 2 Prayer merc and sticking a cheap Insight
> on him, this is exactly what I'm going to do. I did this with my planned
> FB/FO sorc, I have a 4 socket Partizan (lvl 23 req for the merc), and
> should have the essential Insight runes by the time the merc hits 23.
>
> If I don't like it, the Prayer merc gets replaced by a HF one in NM, and
> I'm back on the 'normal' track.

If you don't like it, I'll be happy to trade it. So far I'm very happy
with my prayer merc (I spend almost two full days on levelling him!),
but I see no chance to get a nice 4 socket polearm and a sol rune
anytime soon (except by trading for them, I have no luck in finding runes).

Anyways, once I get those, I'll definitely build an insight polearm for
my merc.

I'm not sure if it's as important for your build than it is for mine.
FB/FO is lighter on mana, and unlike a nova sorc you don't want to stand
in the middle of a group of monsters when you cast, so you don't need
healing as much.

I'm still very undecided about the use of energy shield. Currently every
skill point goes into improving the attack spells. I raise VIT:ENE in
about 2:1 or 3:2 fashion, I change my mind of that every few levels.

> Regards,
> Patrick.

c.u.
Hajo
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 7:00:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d5n9gm$mct$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> The 'Rabbi' still sounds interesting, and since I can rather easily test
>> it out by hiring a Normal Act 2 Prayer merc and sticking a cheap Insight
>> on him, this is exactly what I'm going to do. I did this with my planned
>> FB/FO sorc, I have a 4 socket Partizan (lvl 23 req for the merc), and
>> should have the essential Insight runes by the time the merc hits 23.
>>
>> If I don't like it, the Prayer merc gets replaced by a HF one in NM, and
>> I'm back on the 'normal' track.
>
>If you don't like it, I'll be happy to trade it. So far I'm very happy
>with my prayer merc (I spend almost two full days on levelling him!),
>but I see no chance to get a nice 4 socket polearm and a sol rune
>anytime soon (except by trading for them, I have no luck in finding runes).

I don't think the Partizan is that great, but it's the first 4 socket
polearm I encountered when I got my plan to test Insight. I'm still
keeping ny eye open for an ethereal variant of that, and of course, if I
really like Insight, I need an ethereal 4 socket elite polearm.

Unfortunately, these trade for an Ist+.

Anyway, if I find another 4 socket exceptional polearm, I'll hold on to it
for you.

And if I don't like the effect of the Insight Partizan (or whatever it's
going to be), it's yours of course! :)

>Anyways, once I get those, I'll definitely build an insight polearm for
>my merc.

I'm not sure how many Sols I have left, but I'll see what I can do.

>I'm not sure if it's as important for your build than it is for mine.
>FB/FO is lighter on mana, and unlike a nova sorc you don't want to stand
>in the middle of a group of monsters when you cast, so you don't need
>healing as much.

Well, as said in another thread, the current build is still wide open as
to the usage of either FO or I could still switch to Nova. However, with
just FB, combined with Static Field, I think I can manage until I have a
good idea how well the Prayer + Insight merc performs. If the mana regen
is crazy, I might opt for using Nova instead of FO... ;)

>I'm still very undecided about the use of energy shield. Currently every
>skill point goes into improving the attack spells. I raise VIT:ENE in
>about 2:1 or 3:2 fashion, I change my mind of that every few levels.

I'm hoping to get an idea of ES with plenty of +skills from my current
FO/CL build. :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:59:28 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d5n9gm$mct$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> I don't think the Partizan is that great, but it's the first 4 socket
> polearm I encountered when I got my plan to test Insight.
> I'm still
> keeping ny eye open for an ethereal variant of that, and of course, if I
> really like Insight, I need an ethereal 4 socket elite polearm.

I want a new car, too :)

> Unfortunately, these trade for an Ist+.

Well, once you made Insight in the partizan, there is not such a big
pressure, so you can wait for a good offer or even a lucky drop.

> Anyway, if I find another 4 socket exceptional polearm, I'll hold on to it
> for you.

Thanks :)

> And if I don't like the effect of the Insight Partizan (or whatever it's
> going to be), it's yours of course! :)

I'm sure you'll like it. IIRC the effect of insight meditaton aura alone
start with +500% mana regeneration (in the worst case), and it
synergises with prayer and receives healing powers.

>>Anyways, once I get those, I'll definitely build an insight polearm for
>>my merc.
>
> I'm not sure how many Sols I have left, but I'll see what I can do.

I still have a few Tals (plus 1 that I found this weekend) that I
promised you for crafting, and if you are interested in jewels for
crafting, I now have about 25 jewels so I surely can hand over some :)

I have no idea what's the value of a Sol?

Someone offered me some (3 to be precise plus some items in exchange for
my shaftstop armor), but I had no idea if it's been a good offer or not,
so I decided not to trade (I need the shaftstop armor, and I felt unsure
if can get another one or something comparable for the things that had
been offered).

>>I'm not sure if it's as important for your build than it is for mine.
>>FB/FO is lighter on mana, and unlike a nova sorc you don't want to stand
>>in the middle of a group of monsters when you cast, so you don't need
>>healing as much.
>
> Well, as said in another thread, the current build is still wide open as
> to the usage of either FO or I could still switch to Nova. However, with
> just FB, combined with Static Field, I think I can manage until I have a
> good idea how well the Prayer + Insight merc performs. If the mana regen
> is crazy, I might opt for using Nova instead of FO... ;)

I think I mentioned it in the other thread that I have an insight staff
(didn't make it by myself, got it somewhere for free).

The mana regenerates like crazy, at least when I tested it with my first
sorc. (I usually don't use the staff, becuase I need +skills from orb or
staff and that one doesn't provide +skills). I was unable to drain my
mana ball significantly. That was a charged bolt/FO build, though.

I need to repeat the test with nova, but I expect Insight can solve a
big part of the mana problem.

So, I'm pretty sure you'll like the Insight partizan very much

>>I'm still very undecided about the use of energy shield. Currently every
>>skill point goes into improving the attack spells. I raise VIT:ENE in
>>about 2:1 or 3:2 fashion, I change my mind of that every few levels.
>
> I'm hoping to get an idea of ES with plenty of +skills from my current
> FO/CL build. :)

Fine. She's already in the very late game, so that's will be a serious
test :)

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <dni781drvhj9n7nf85lh4ql18e7kd9t2av@4ax.com>,
LineNoise <linenoise@pobox.com> wrote:

> As far as the comments about gear, I wasn't intended to put you down for
> not having the uber kit already. Just that this sorc is so item dependent
> that it's really hard to pull it off right if it's only your first or
> second sorc. There are definately better builds out there to start out
> with, that are less item-dependent, less fragile, better at MF, etc. The
> Rocket is an extreme build, for people who want to push the envelope of
> what's possible.

What would you say would be the minimum +skills to have on a character
to make this build Hell-worthy in a single or 2-person game?
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 5:26:16 PM

jerk-o wrote:
> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
> Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote
>
> >In article <d6d0jp$p2j$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> >Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> >>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
> >
> >[snipping again, all of it read with interest]

She not

> >>For the other readers: Being just a indirect spectator I can tell
that
> >>Patrick finishes his runs within a few minutes each, from start of
the
> >>game to leaving the game.
> >
> >Yup, it now mostly depends on where the Forgotten Tower is located
within
> >the Black Marsh: I sometimes spend most of the time teleporting
around to
> >try and find that. Once I'm in the Cellar Dungeons I'm indeed
> >experienceing what the RocketSorc expert(s) told me: somehow I can
now
> >sense where the next stairs down is. I can't really describe it
logically
> >in words, it's patterns in the level layout which direct me.
>
> I've heard that for the random tower levels, you should always go to
the left,
> if possible, and by "left" I mean your characters' left.

Correct.

Mickey
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:41:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <1115135439.331582.105310@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Mickey <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote:

>Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

>Get a rabbi (prayer merc, for the uninitiated) with an Insight stick.
>
>As for equipment, I will list the best of the best and let people work
>out how to get there with what they have
>
>Rings: 2 SOJs
>Ammy : Mara's
>Gloves: FrostBurns
>Belt: Arachnid's
>Boots: Choice, depending on charms.
>Armor: Vipermagi
>Weapon: Oculus, or, if you havethe runes for it, HoTa, with a CTA on
>the switch for the BO
>Shield: Sprit, or Lidless wall with a P-Diamond
>
>With this setup, you should have a TON of mana. With the rabbi pumping
>up both your health and hour mana (with his insight stick), and with
>either the CTA or a nice barb around, this build is nearly
>indestructible, and as fast as a greased pig.

OK, an update from me. I'm still working on my FB/<Undecided> sorceress,
see this thread, but much deeper down, for the more intricate details. As
it is currently, she has enough points in FB and the synergies + mastery
to still kick ass in NM Act 2. Current level is about 43, so she can use
her Occulus, but I still didn't equip it, since her current rare orb is
still doing things Occulus cannot do.

Gear-wise, I have a question regarding Eschuta's Temper: I recently
obtained one from a quitting player's giveaway, and it has +3 sorc skills,
40% FCR, and adds a 1x% to fire and lightning damage. A very nice orb.

Originally, this sorc was meant to be a FB/FO sorc, but now a nova sorc
again looks very tempting, especially looking at the damage bonuses from
Eschuta's Temper.

However, my question is, how does the extra fire and lightning damage from
Eschuta's get added to the sorc's damage: Is it added over the total
damage as calculted by the main spell, it's synergies and the mastery? Or
is it added to the extra damage done by the mastery?

Example for #1 (assuming FB does 100 dmg, FM adds 200% dmg, and the
Eschuta's adds another 10% damage):

(100 + 2.0 x 100) x 1.10 = 330?

Or for #2:

(100 + 2.1 x 100) = 310?

The gains of #1 over #2 are not that significant in the example above, but
with high levels of Mastery, things certainly start to add up...

If the mechanism if #1, the Eschuta's would probably be _perfect_ for a
nova sorc! If it's #2, perhaps something like HotO would be better. Any
opinions?

I think I can get or have most of the stuff mentioned above. No SOJ's
though, no Arachnid (though a Mal should get me one), and no Mara's but I
think a Tal's ammy would also be quite useful, or a nice crafted one. :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:18:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6d0jp$p2j$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

[snipping again, all of it read with interest]

>During the time that I build the rocket sorc and later my new fire
>wall/FO sorc, I didn't do hell boss runs. I guess I should pick up the
>habit to start each session with a boss run, again.
>
>My new sorc is not in hell yet, but should be able to run all of the
>bosses in nightmare, except Baal, becuase of the quest that I don't want
>to finish yet.

Just try to put some runs in between. That way you avoid the tedium of
doing a lot, but still have the chance of getting some nice stuff. I mean,
even Normal Baal can drop nice stuff: witness the +2 sorc/+3es rare staff
he dropped.

NM Baal or NM Mephisto are also good candidates, because they can drop
quite of the nice stuff you need... ;)

>> First of all there's the end-target of the runs, the Countess. She not
>> only drops around an average 2 -3 runes at every kill, they can also be
>> quite nice. I haven't kept exact statistics, but she has dropped at least
>> 5 Sols, 3 Shaels, 4 Dols, 3 Lums, 1 Pul, and loads of other, lower runes,
>> which I've all cubed up into Rals, or up again, if it's Ort and higher.
>> I've gathered now enough Rals to totally exhaust my PAmethyst reserves,
>> making PAmethysts my new bottleneck. :)
>
>For the other readers: Being just a indirect spectator I can tell that
>Patrick finishes his runs within a few minutes each, from start of the
>game to leaving the game.

Yup, it now mostly depends on where the Forgotten Tower is located within
the Black Marsh: I sometimes spend most of the time teleporting around to
try and find that. Once I'm in the Cellar Dungeons I'm indeed
experienceing what the RocketSorc expert(s) told me: somehow I can now
sense where the next stairs down is. I can't really describe it logically
in words, it's patterns in the level layout which direct me.

I should probably try to develop a similar sense for the Durance of Hate,
for some quick Meph running. :)  (Though that level is a lot more
dangerous when teleporting around.)

>> So, I can recommend anyone to do more Countess running.
>
>I will try. So far I was too lazy to get down there regularly.

It's also great practice for quick reactions: you can have some quite
hectic moment if you teleport in the middle of a pack of mana burn
monsters, mana is gone, ES is down, and you try to get out. :)

>Yes, and it also shows how different players experience the builds. The
>rocket sorc has fans, and they seem to play very successful with it. For
>me it was a totally non-starter and I suspect it's also becuase of my
>playing style, not just because I miss some items.

Depending on the answer I get to my follow-up Rocket Sorc question
(basically: How does Eschuta's added fire/lightning damage affect the
damage dealt by Nova/FB), I might turn my ongoing sorc project into one
too.

>I didn't even have one at that point, I think. So it wasn't a problem :)

Well, Sol has level 27, so that's the lowest you can get. Getting the merc
the stats to use a nice polearm is secondary to that, and for the first
few levels after lvl27 you have some strict str related trade-offs to do.
After that, 'regular' merc stuff can be equipped again. But I think it's
all worth it.

>> As for the boots, I'm still not really sure what the best choice for a
>> Sorceress is. Up until then end of NM perhaps Silkweaves for the extra
>> mana and mana per kill, but in Hell, they lack the resists other boots can
>> give you, unless you can get these from somewhere else.
>>
>> If anyone has any hints on what (and why ;)  are the best sorceress boots,
>> I'm all ears. ;)
>
>I hope for rare exceptional or elite boots with less than 60 strength
>required (that are wyrmhide boots, demonhide boots and sharkskin boots)
>with +30% faster walk, and resistances to all or at least 3 elements.

IIRC, rare boots can spawn with a max of 3 singular resists. But they can
be quite high, and good boots with 3 high resists on it can be quite
valuable.

>+mana and +life will be appreciated, but I don't want to ask for too much :)

I'm not sure how much if any of that, can spawn on rare boots.

>I think those can be gambled, and should also drop now and then.

Gambling is the way to go for that probably.

>> Glad you could use it. I may have become too 'jaded' from the game, but if
>> it wasn't for you around, I'd have sold it without any second thoughts for
>> gold. :)
>
>You use a Spirit Monarch, so a two handed staff is quite useless for
>you, regardless how good it is.

Yes, that's also true. I've more or less discounted staffs for 'real' sorc
usage (though I have some nice ones on mules, including an Ondals +4 ;) .
Maybe I should look into one again, just for fun. ;)

So I only pick them up for the 35k gold they usually give. :)

>Also you look backwards from end of hell (you killed hell Baal with that
>char, didn't you?) while I'm not even at the beginning of hell. We
>surely have a different point of view on the usefulness of items :)

That's probably one of the reasons. ;)  But it's nice to see the game can
evolve with you like that.. :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:49:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw&gt;
Patrick Vervoorn <patrick.vervoorn@NOSPAM.perihelion.demon.nl> wrote

>In article <d6d0jp$p2j$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
>Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>[snipping again, all of it read with interest]
>
>>> First of all there's the end-target of the runs, the Countess. She not
>>> only drops around an average 2 -3 runes at every kill, they can also be
>>> quite nice. I haven't kept exact statistics, but she has dropped at least
>>> 5 Sols, 3 Shaels, 4 Dols, 3 Lums, 1 Pul, and loads of other, lower runes,
>>> which I've all cubed up into Rals, or up again, if it's Ort and higher.
>>> I've gathered now enough Rals to totally exhaust my PAmethyst reserves,
>>> making PAmethysts my new bottleneck. :)
>>
>>For the other readers: Being just a indirect spectator I can tell that
>>Patrick finishes his runs within a few minutes each, from start of the
>>game to leaving the game.
>
>Yup, it now mostly depends on where the Forgotten Tower is located within
>the Black Marsh: I sometimes spend most of the time teleporting around to
>try and find that. Once I'm in the Cellar Dungeons I'm indeed
>experienceing what the RocketSorc expert(s) told me: somehow I can now
>sense where the next stairs down is. I can't really describe it logically
>in words, it's patterns in the level layout which direct me.

I've heard that for the random tower levels, you should always go to the left,
if possible, and by "left" I mean your characters' left.
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> In article <d6fav6$ov6$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
> >Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
> >
> >> MF-ing is usually done in solo games, or with people you trust,
not in
> >> public games. ;)
> >
> >Yes. This game was just done to see how long it takes. The other
players
> >were a bit disappointed, they asked for more runs and I told them
this
> >was just a test run (it was called baalwalk-test, I hoped that will
be
> >obvious).
> >
> >I must find out what doable for me and how hard it is. E.g. I don't
want
> >to loose my merc, he is expensive to revive. Before we can visit NM
> >Mephi and Diablo regularly my merc must level quite a bit (He's now
lvl
> >44). During my last try he died about 5 times in the chaos
sanctuary,
> >and after that I left him dead until Diablo fell.
>
> Yes, getting your merc to your own level is a must. Also, after about

> lvl30 when you both are at the same level, the merc more or less
follows
> your own levelups, so you don't have to spend much time 'babying' the
merc
> around. So the advice is: level up the merc to your own level as
early as
> possible, don't postpone this, because it gets more tedious that way.

2 words about leveling mercs. Flayer Jungle.

Mickey
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:54:37 PM

short wrote:
> "Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Patrick Vervoorn wrote:

> > not in

> > players
> > this
> > be

> > want
NM
> > lvl
> > sanctuary,
> > >
> > > Yes, getting your merc to your own level is a must. Also, after
about

> > > lvl30 when you both are at the same level, the merc more or less
> > follows
> > > your own levelups, so you don't have to spend much time 'babying'
the
> > merc
> > > around. So the advice is: level up the merc to your own level as
> > early as
> > > possible, don't postpone this, because it gets more tedious that
way.

> > 2 words about leveling mercs. Flayer Jungle.
> >
> > Mickey
> >
> Pindle's Garden

Not as good, for one simple reason. You can join a full game and head
for the jungles, and stay there for a LONG time. Doing pindle runs
requires finding a new full game every 30 seconds.... difficult and
tedious :)

Mickey
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:28:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

"Mickey" <mickeyb@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Patrick Vervoorn wrote:
> > In article <d6fav6$ov6$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> > Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> not in
> > >
> > >Yes. This game was just done to see how long it takes. The other
> players
> > >were a bit disappointed, they asked for more runs and I told them
> this
> > >was just a test run (it was called baalwalk-test, I hoped that will
> be
> > >obvious).
> > >
> > >I must find out what doable for me and how hard it is. E.g. I don't
> want
> > >to loose my merc, he is expensive to revive. Before we can visit NM
> > >Mephi and Diablo regularly my merc must level quite a bit (He's now
> lvl
> > >44). During my last try he died about 5 times in the chaos
> sanctuary,
> > >and after that I left him dead until Diablo fell.
> >
> > Yes, getting your merc to your own level is a must. Also, after about
>
> > lvl30 when you both are at the same level, the merc more or less
> follows
> > your own levelups, so you don't have to spend much time 'babying' the
> merc
> > around. So the advice is: level up the merc to your own level as
> early as
> > possible, don't postpone this, because it gets more tedious that way.
>
> 2 words about leveling mercs. Flayer Jungle.
>
> Mickey

Pindle's Garden

short

May 18, 2005 3:05:24 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6d0jp$p2j$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>

> [snipping again, all of it read with interest]
>

>>During the time that I build the rocket sorc and later my new fire
>>wall/FO sorc, I didn't do hell boss runs. I guess I should pick up the
>>habit to start each session with a boss run, again.
>>
>>My new sorc is not in hell yet, but should be able to run all of the
>>bosses in nightmare, except Baal, becuase of the quest that I don't want
>>to finish yet.
>
> Just try to put some runs in between. That way you avoid the tedium of
> doing a lot, but still have the chance of getting some nice stuff. I mean,
> even Normal Baal can drop nice stuff: witness the +2 sorc/+3es rare staff
> he dropped.

Last night I did a few tests. A normal baal walk (= clearing large parts
of WSK) including killing baal takes a little more than 5 minutes. It
makes players in normal difficulty happy, if it's a public game, but if
I want the drops, I better play solo.

> NM Baal or NM Mephisto are also good candidates, because they can drop
> quite of the nice stuff you need... ;)

I still have to test NM Mephisto. I helped to kill him a few times in
public games, but I don't know who long it will take to find and kill
him in a solo game.

>>>First of all there's the end-target of the runs, the Countess.

I didn't run the countess before, but after your suggestion I did (NM,
not hell, just to get a feel or it). The tower is fairly easy to find.
As you and others said, there is a pattern to find the stairs. The path
down is quick. Yet I kill a lot of things on my path, so I'm slower than
neccesary.

You're right the armor and weapon racks can give nive things, but only
rarely as it seems. There are always boss packs on the path, and the
bosses also drop nice things sometimes.

I did a total of 4 test runs. I have no idea what the countess can drop
in NM, but anyways, just wanted to get a feel of it.

I got three el runes, an ith and a shael. Shael is the highest rune that
I found with my new sorc so far!

I also found a wand with lower resist charges :)

And a 4 socket poleaxe (translation/name?), but not ethereal.

Also got a lot of money, that I spend on gambling boots but no luck so far.

For me, these are nice finds, and countess runs in NM are really easy.

I decided to include schenk and eldritch in each run. So I start killing
these two, then run the countess.

Eldritch gave me a set helm with +1 to all skills. I don't need it
immediately but it's among the best self-found items, so I'm happy.

Yesterday was a very lucky day. My first shael ever, highest rune with
that char, the long-wanted lower resist wand, a polearm that I could use
for Insight if I want to, a nice helm, lots of money to gamble (from
other items that I sold)

> I should probably try to develop a similar sense for the Durance of Hate,
> for some quick Meph running. :)  (Though that level is a lot more
> dangerous when teleporting around.)

I could not discover any pattern there yet. More than once I ended up
clearing almost all the level before finding the stairs.

If there is a pattern, it made in a way that the stairs are there where
I search them last.

Any hints except maphack are welcome!

>>>So, I can recommend anyone to do more Countess running.
>>
>>I will try. So far I was too lazy to get down there regularly.

See above. I recommend it now, too :)

> It's also great practice for quick reactions: you can have some quite
> hectic moment if you teleport in the middle of a pack of mana burn
> monsters, mana is gone, ES is down, and you try to get out. :)

I changed my teleport strategy. I usually run, until I see a pack of
monsters, then teleport past them. This way I'm fairly sure not to
teleport into a pack, and it's only slightly slower than teleporting
always. I have +35 faster run, but I assume most chars have something
similar.

>>Yes, and it also shows how different players experience the builds. The
>>rocket sorc has fans, and they seem to play very successful with it. For
>>me it was a totally non-starter and I suspect it's also becuase of my
>>playing style, not just because I miss some items.
>
> Depending on the answer I get to my follow-up Rocket Sorc question
> (basically: How does Eschuta's added fire/lightning damage affect the
> damage dealt by Nova/FB), I might turn my ongoing sorc project into one
> too.

Where are you currently? During NM I noticed a continuous drop of the
effectivity of fire balls, despite leveling them up. It ended with some
very frustrating experiences in act 4 and act 5, in multiplayer games,
where some monsters required dozens of fireballs to be killed.

>>>If anyone has any hints on what (and why ;)  are the best sorceress boots,
>>>I'm all ears. ;)
>>
>>I hope for rare exceptional or elite boots with less than 60 strength
>>required (that are wyrmhide boots, demonhide boots and sharkskin boots)
>>with +30% faster walk, and resistances to all or at least 3 elements.
>
> IIRC, rare boots can spawn with a max of 3 singular resists. But they can
> be quite high, and good boots with 3 high resists on it can be quite
> valuable.

Right, no "resist all" on boots, more general not on any armor.

Rare items can have 6 modifiers, I believe. So, theoretically, boots can
have all 4 resists plus additional mods.

Since I want at least +20 faster walk from boots, I guess my chances are
slim to get it together with all 4 resists, and a 6th useful mod.

>>+mana and +life will be appreciated, but I don't want to ask for too much :)
>
> I'm not sure how much if any of that, can spawn on rare boots.

I checked the arreat summit. It seems that boots can have +1 through +5
to mana, but not +life? They can have life regeneration, though.

Anyways, +5 mana isn't interesting enough, to hope for it.

So my dream rare boots are

- 20 or more faster walk
- 3 or more nice resists

Given the restrictions on rare boots, a few of the unique boots don't
look so bad anymore.

>>I think those can be gambled, and should also drop now and then.
>
> Gambling is the way to go for that probably.

I'll keep trying. In the past I gambled nice boots already, but the pair
must've got lost somehow, I can't find them anymore on any of my
characters and mules.

>>>Glad you could use it. I may have become too 'jaded' from the game, but if
>>>it wasn't for you around, I'd have sold it without any second thoughts for
>>>gold. :)
>>
>>You use a Spirit Monarch, so a two handed staff is quite useless for
>>you, regardless how good it is.
>
> Yes, that's also true. I've more or less discounted staffs for 'real' sorc
> usage (though I have some nice ones on mules, including an Ondals +4 ;) .
> Maybe I should look into one again, just for fun. ;)

I usually discard staves, too. Exceptions are the unique staves, and two
socket staves if they have something useful. You can make the 'Leaf'
runeword in a two socket staff, and this is nice for low-level
sorceresses who use fire).

> So I only pick them up for the 35k gold they usually give. :)

It's mostly the same here. I also take all scepters and wands and sell them.

>>Also you look backwards from end of hell (you killed hell Baal with that
>>char, didn't you?) while I'm not even at the beginning of hell. We
>>surely have a different point of view on the usefulness of items :)
>
> That's probably one of the reasons. ;)  But it's nice to see the game can
> evolve with you like that.. :)

I fully agree!

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>> Yesterday I found an unkillable leaper (or how they are called) in act
>> 4. He was hurt, I guess by my coplayer, health bar at about 5% of his
>> total, but none of my spells and neither physical attacks could hurt
>> him. Yet, he could hurt me!
>>
>> I had to run away.
>>
>> Did anyone find such things? Looks like a bug in the game, but I'm not
>> sure how or why.

Use magic damage: Telekinesis will kill them Berserk should also
(haven't tried that one myself).

Magic damage is the key.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:30:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6fo7t$qo4$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>I rarely have more than 200,000 gold. Merc currently costs 14,000 or so
>to revive. If he dies 5 times in a row like it happened in the CS, I
>notice the difference. OTOH selling an god armor or staff means gold for
>2 revives so it's not a problem.

How do you do that? You gamble it away as you go? I only start gambling
when I'm overflowing with gold. ;)

>The probabilities for the low runes won't change much, but in hell a lot
>more runes can drop with reasonable probabilities. So you'll find
>usually the same runes that I do, and in about 1 of 200 or 1 of 500 runs
>you find a nice high rune that I can't get even in 3000 runs :)
>
>Seems to be good enogh for me, considering how easy the runs are in
>nightmare.

Am doing some runs, and took a short break from them to write this. Not
much this set of runs: lots of low stuff, 1 Ral, 1 Amn, 1 Hel. And some
miscellaneous gems, and one unique club I immediately sold.

>Nevertheless it's a bit sad that it tunrs out this way now that I got
>accustomed to the idea of visiting her regularly.

A good excuse to unpark the RocketSorc-to-be!? :)

>Yes, it's quite boring, and also potentially dangerous for me. So I try
>to minimize my muling sessions. Not to mention the 5 minutes that I have
>to wait until the game becomes permanent.

If you feel you have to mule something which you really, surely do not
want to lose at all cost: give me a yell, I'll happily hold it for you!

[snip]

>I don't know if this is known in the Diablo world: "Ironman" playing
>style. You never buy things in town and only use equipment that you find
>in your games. This is a challenge for the players who achieved
>everything and want to check how far they can get this way.
>
>Ok, I'm just jealous on the items :)

*hahaha* Sorry for that. I haven't reached the pure IronMan stage yet,
though I do still do that for the first part of the game. End-game, it
becomes very challenging and I might do that once I run out of the
non-IronMan ideas and/or items for those twinked projects. ;)

>> Nice, but keep in mind you can simply buy wands with lvl2 lower resists
>> charges, probably already in NM act 1.
>
>Yes, you told me a while ago :)  Actually, knowing that they can be
>shopped was a relief but left me without urge to actually try to buy
>one. I just didn't encounter enough immunes to make me wanting to have
>such a staff.

That doesn't really happen in NM, but in Hell, you'll encountere lots of
them. So in my experience, the wand helped a lot there, especially for the
really tough dual immunes to the dual-tree sorcs two skills...

>I'll find that out in about three or four hours from now :)
>
>If that's true I really spent way too much time on searching the stairs,
>and obviously also a lot of players don't know the trick!

I guess you found out it works for Durance too. (In-game message). Nice to
hear.

>> Aha, plenty of room to go then. :)
>
>Fireball is one of the spells that can be boosted quite nicely, given
>that you really want to spend 60 or more skill points. It has good
>synergies and also fire mastery helps a lot.

No playtime with my FB sorc logged this day, so I can't add anything
there...

>> No, I haven't experienced that yet, or at least, it didn't occur to me.
>> But keep in mind I also have an almost non-stop Blizzard going, the Blaze
>> from the Infernostride boots kicks in fairly regularly, and the merc using
>> his rather nice Insight Partizan deals enough damage to one-hit kill most
>> of the critters I've run into up till now.
>
>The "Lord of Destruction" title needs a new home, I guess :)

That's probably just because the setup is a bit overpowered for the levels
where it's playing through. I'm sure I'll hit a wall eventually, I'm just
curious where that wall might be.. ;)

>Rocket sorc causes RSI! While playing I developed a quite inconvenient
>RSI syndrome in my mouse hand. Since I switched to my FW/FO sorc with
>their casting delays it got much better again.

Ouch, that's not good. Be careful with that, my younger brother had that
for a while, and it took him quite a lot of 'discpline' (i.e. take regular
breaks, etc) to get rid of it... Watch this very carefully!

>It's good to know that I can get rid of those. I played a barbarian
>once, it's the only class that I gave up before nightmare. I kept them
>in case a friend starts a barbarian and could use one, but now I guess I
>better sell them and store some other things :)

Well, err, perhaps what I was meaning to say is: if you have no immediate
use for these barb-specific circlets: get rid of them. But keep in mind
the unique Barb helmets aren't exactly falling out of the sky either. ;)

>If we are about it: I also cubed some amulets with +1 (up to +3 for
>certain skills) barbarian skills. Are they useful? I mean as a small
>present for aspiring barbarians.

I'm not really sure, because I'm not the much of a barbarian player. I
think most barbarians have little use for the extra skills on an amulet,
they are much more interested in combat oriented stuff, most of which is
readily available on the unique amulets (Highlord's Wrath f.i.). A +3 Barb
warcries amulet might be interesting though, and I make it a habit of
storing/keeping any +3 skill-tree amulet I find/gamble. No idea why, but
sometimes people are looking for them.

>> If they're magic (blue), with no 'interesting' second mods, just sell them
>> because the 35k gold they sell for is worth more than the circlet itself.
>
>Maybe. One of my sorceresses wears the +3 fire skills one (it's magic,
>not rare, but I don't remember the second mod if it has one). The +1
>assassin skills was meant to be used by a new assassin that I started
>but I lost interest in that character.

With interesting I mean a circlet with one of the suffixes which adds a
bunch of life (... of the Whale, or a bit lower). When you get a 3 socket
circlet-type helm with +3 skill-tree/+life suffix, _and_ are lucky enough
to get 2 sockets from Larzuk in the socket quest: start making room on the
rune-mule for those Ists and more! :)

>An items value differs much: if it's better than what you are currently
>using it's valuable. If it's worse, it's almost worthless.

Of course, that's also a very valid rule. Keep in mind I'm commenting on
these items from my view; with perhaps a bit too much uniques and stuff
having flowed through my hands...

>My sorceress can get the right item types and all prefixes and suffixes
>that are interesting. Even +40 FRW and the highest resist prefixes.
>
> From that point of view gambling boots is fine.

It's a lottery, so good luck there!

>> Yes, since Orbs became available for sorceresses, staves have become less
>> and less used. But some nice things are possible of course. In the right
>> stave (with +3 Blizzard/+3 ES/+3 something else), HotO can really boost
>> some skills through the roof...
>
>Yes, but 4 socket staves with 3 x +3 single skill modifieers to skils
>that you like are quite rare by themselves :)

Of course, which is why probably a stave like that sells for more than the
value of HotO's runes... (Just speculating, I'm not sure of this, but such
a stave is surely quite rare)

>OTOH for theese spells it'll be stronger than every uniqe orb or staff
>that you can find.
>
>I guess if someone finds such a staff and recognises it, it eitehr time
>to build a character just for using it, or modify one of the existing
>characters.
>
>+3 FO, + 3 FW, +3 FM (staff), +3 all (HotO), nothing could beat that
>with my current sorc :)

I once found a magic orb with +2 sorc skills, and +2/+3 to some of the
more powerful spells: Blizzard, Meteor and a third skill. Had little use
for it myself, and finally sold it for a Pul to someone who wanted to do
things a bit differently, and not wear one of these bog-standard uniques..
My respect to him for that. ;)

[Hell Hellforge rushing...]

>We just need a time and date :)

Err, you're so right... :)  And I know I'm probably the bottleneck there.

Soon though, really soon now! *ahem*

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 1:28:13 PM

Brian Brunner wrote::

> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
>

>>>Yesterday I found an unkillable leaper (or how they are called) in act
>>>4. He was hurt, I guess by my coplayer, health bar at about 5% of his
>>>total, but none of my spells and neither physical attacks could hurt
>>>him. Yet, he could hurt me!
>>>
>>>I had to run away.
>>>
>>>Did anyone find such things? Looks like a bug in the game, but I'm not
>>>sure how or why.
>
> Use magic damage: Telekinesis will kill them Berserk should also
> (haven't tried that one myself).
>
> Magic damage is the key.

Thank you. I'll try that once I find another one.

Do you know what's wrong with them? The leaper wasn't listed as immune,
and the rest of his pack fell to my frozen orb.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6hmar$5i9$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>NEWS!

;)

>My rocket sorc reached clvl 75 a while ago but was parked due to
>equipment problems.
>
>Yesterday my FO/FW sorc found all needed ingredients for one more
>Insight polearm (a 4 socket Partizan somewhere in Nihlataks temple),
>made the Insight runeword and handed the partizan over to the rocket
>sorc who gave it to her act 2 prayer merc.

Congratulations! :)

I now have 2 plain ethereal elite polearms in my possession, and I think
I'm going to take chances, and do some socketing cube recipes hoping at
least one of them gets 4 sockets, so I can finally make an end-game
Insight. I'm also start to stock up on the Insight ingredients, and Hels,
so I can retry if I don't like the results. :)

>Now, that makes a difference! Fireball can be chain-cast without limits,
>and nova can still be chain cast long enough to wipe almost everything.
>ES was good before and is almost perfect now!

Sounds good! Probably with a somewhat larger mana pool (augmented by
+mana equipment), she might even be capable of chain casting nova?

Something that might help: I'm going to shuffle around some +mana Grand
Charms, and might move some of them out for better ones. Since my charm
mule is currently rather full, I'll probable just sell them for gold.
Instead of that, I'd rather give you something useful. Contact me when I'm
online, though I'm afraid I will have little time this evening. I think I
will clean out at least one, maybe more, 40+ mana Grand Charms, so I think
that might help.

>Now I face the question: which of the sorceresses shall change to hell
>first? I'd like to keep one in nightmare for a while.
>
>Patrick, you suggested Hell countess runs and the rocket sorc is good
>for that task. So the rocket should go to hell first?
>
>I think, now that her merc has the Insight Partizan they are strong enough.

Seeing as the (un-)availability of low and mid runes is a bit of a problem
for you, and you can build some rather nice runewords using those (look at
Lionheart, Lore, Rhyme, Smoke, Stealth, Splendor) I'd say, go for it!

Perhaps try to gain some extra levels doing NM Baal runs, until the
exp-gains from that get too low to be effective; I think you need all the
lvls + skills you can get, even for early Hell.

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 6:03:08 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6hmar$5i9$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

>>Yesterday my FO/FW sorc found all needed ingredients for one more
>>Insight polearm (a 4 socket Partizan somewhere in Nihlataks temple),
>>made the Insight runeword and handed the partizan over to the rocket
>>sorc who gave it to her act 2 prayer merc.
>
> Congratulations! :)

Thanks :)

> I now have 2 plain ethereal elite polearms in my possession, and I think
> I'm going to take chances, and do some socketing cube recipes hoping at
> least one of them gets 4 sockets, so I can finally make an end-game
> Insight. I'm also start to stock up on the Insight ingredients, and Hels,
> so I can retry if I don't like the results. :)

"Perfect Insight": I like the many meanings of that :)

I was lucky, both of my Insights are slightly above average. I'd not
have had a second chance anyways.

I wish you good luck on your quest for perfect Insight!

>>Now, that makes a difference! Fireball can be chain-cast without limits,
>>and nova can still be chain cast long enough to wipe almost everything.
>>ES was good before and is almost perfect now!
>
> Sounds good! Probably with a somewhat larger mana pool (augmented by
> +mana equipment), she might even be capable of chain casting nova?

Yes, for sure. And there isn't missing much. Currently I rather think my
mouse button breaks before she runs low on mana.

> Something that might help: I'm going to shuffle around some +mana Grand
> Charms, and might move some of them out for better ones. Since my charm
> mule is currently rather full, I'll probable just sell them for gold.
> Instead of that, I'd rather give you something useful. Contact me when I'm
> online, though I'm afraid I will have little time this evening. I think I
> will clean out at least one, maybe more, 40+ mana Grand Charms, so I think
> that might help.

IIRC my rocket uses some large charms with less than +10 mana so
anything better will be greatly appreciated.

My FW/FO sorc just replaced a +4 large charm with a freshly found +20
one, this might give a picture of the equipment levels.

Form your other message I see you'll be in D2 from 19:00 to 20:45. I'll
most likely not be in D2 before 19:30, maybe even 20:00. I'll for sure
whisper you as soon as I arrive!

>>Now I face the question: which of the sorceresses shall change to hell
>>first? I'd like to keep one in nightmare for a while.
>>
>>Patrick, you suggested Hell countess runs and the rocket sorc is good
>>for that task. So the rocket should go to hell first?
>>
>>I think, now that her merc has the Insight Partizan they are strong enough.
>
> Seeing as the (un-)availability of low and mid runes is a bit of a problem
> for you, and you can build some rather nice runewords using those (look at
> Lionheart, Lore, Rhyme, Smoke, Stealth, Splendor) I'd say, go for it!

This also makes sense in another aspect: FO and FW are strong even in
multiplayer games, while FB/Nova only work well in solo games (they just
aren't so strong with my current equipment). So the rocket will become
my character for boss runs which will be all solo games.

> Perhaps try to gain some extra levels doing NM Baal runs, until the
> exp-gains from that get too low to be effective; I think you need all the
> lvls + skills you can get, even for early Hell.

After lvl 75 Baal runs become somewhat inefficient. My FW/FO sorc needed
about 10 runs from lvl 75 to 76, and it becomes worse with every level.

Highest level that I ever reached in nightmare is lvl 77, after that
almost nothing in nightmare gives exp anymore.

But my general strategy is to change as late as possible.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6hv9s$vb4$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> I now have 2 plain ethereal elite polearms in my possession, and I think
>> I'm going to take chances, and do some socketing cube recipes hoping at
>> least one of them gets 4 sockets, so I can finally make an end-game
>> Insight. I'm also start to stock up on the Insight ingredients, and Hels,
>> so I can retry if I don't like the results. :)
>
>"Perfect Insight": I like the many meanings of that :)
>
>I was lucky, both of my Insights are slightly above average. I'd not
>have had a second chance anyways.
>
>I wish you good luck on your quest for perfect Insight!

Knowing my luck, both ethereal polearms will get 3 sockets or less, making
them totally useless for anything. ;-\

>Yes, for sure. And there isn't missing much. Currently I rather think my
>mouse button breaks before she runs low on mana.

You do know you can keep your mouse-button depressed to cast spells at the
maximum speed? You can either click-and-hold on a monster, and the sorc
will fire away until that monster dies, or press shift and click-and-hold
on an empty part of the screen, and she will fire there indefinately?

Might save your mouse's buttons and/or your fingers/wrist...

>IIRC my rocket uses some large charms with less than +10 mana so
>anything better will be greatly appreciated.
>
>My FW/FO sorc just replaced a +4 large charm with a freshly found +20
>one, this might give a picture of the equipment levels.
>
>Form your other message I see you'll be in D2 from 19:00 to 20:45. I'll
>most likely not be in D2 before 19:30, maybe even 20:00. I'll for sure
>whisper you as soon as I arrive!

OK, great, I'll probably start the big shuffle a bit earlier, but I'll
keep any of the 'old' stuff that remains and show you if you can use it...

>> Seeing as the (un-)availability of low and mid runes is a bit of a problem
>> for you, and you can build some rather nice runewords using those (look at
>> Lionheart, Lore, Rhyme, Smoke, Stealth, Splendor) I'd say, go for it!
>
>This also makes sense in another aspect: FO and FW are strong even in
>multiplayer games, while FB/Nova only work well in solo games (they just
>aren't so strong with my current equipment). So the rocket will become
>my character for boss runs which will be all solo games.

Yup, I'd certainly do that. You also do not want anyone to enter a boss
run game you're in at the moment you are engaging The Countess (or any
other monsters): her HP double almost instantly, and you will have a lot
tougher time! So PW these games.

>After lvl 75 Baal runs become somewhat inefficient. My FW/FO sorc needed
>about 10 runs from lvl 75 to 76, and it becomes worse with every level.
>
>Highest level that I ever reached in nightmare is lvl 77, after that
>almost nothing in nightmare gives exp anymore.
>
>But my general strategy is to change as late as possible.

Ah, OK, I usually move over as soon as I can NM Baal, and he's tough, but
not very dangerous, so that usually happens sooner than lvl77 or 75.

I'd say, move over to Hell Act I and see how it goes with Miss RocketSorc.
Also, I'd do the quests with her in solo PWed games, to get a feel for how
she performs. Also, do plenty of teleporting, to also practice that.

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 7:20:36 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
> In article <d6hv9s$vb4$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>>Yes, for sure. And there isn't missing much. Currently I rather think my
>>mouse button breaks before she runs low on mana.
>
> You do know you can keep your mouse-button depressed to cast spells at the
> maximum speed? You can either click-and-hold on a monster, and the sorc
> will fire away until that monster dies, or press shift and click-and-hold
> on an empty part of the screen, and she will fire there indefinately?
>
> Might save your mouse's buttons and/or your fingers/wrist...

My current knowledge is that it works for left-button spells as you
described, but the right-button spells don't repeat. Nova is only
available on the right mouse button IIRC.

If right-button spells also have autorepeat I made a big mistake so far.

It's easy to find out. I'll check that this eveneing :)

Mouse buttons: there is something that is a big problem for me. Teleport
and static field both seem be available only for the right mouse button.
So the sequence teleport - static field - teleport requires two extra
keypresses. It'd be much easier if I could have teleport on right button
and static on left. Is there a way to get that?

>>This also makes sense in another aspect: FO and FW are strong even in
>>multiplayer games, while FB/Nova only work well in solo games (they just
>>aren't so strong with my current equipment). So the rocket will become
>>my character for boss runs which will be all solo games.
>
> Yup, I'd certainly do that. You also do not want anyone to enter a boss
> run game you're in at the moment you are engaging The Countess (or any
> other monsters): her HP double almost instantly, and you will have a lot
> tougher time! So PW these games.

All my solo games are passworded. Your right, players joining in such
games are very inconvenient.

>>After lvl 75 Baal runs become somewhat inefficient. My FW/FO sorc needed
>>about 10 runs from lvl 75 to 76, and it becomes worse with every level.
>>
>>Highest level that I ever reached in nightmare is lvl 77, after that
>>almost nothing in nightmare gives exp anymore.
>>
>>But my general strategy is to change as late as possible.
>
> Ah, OK, I usually move over as soon as I can NM Baal, and he's tough, but
> not very dangerous, so that usually happens sooner than lvl77 or 75.

Most players seem to change between level 65 and 70 depending on the
strength of their characters.

Hell is quite hard, so I want a very strong char before I change.

> I'd say, move over to Hell Act I and see how it goes with Miss RocketSorc.

I plan to do that today, and if that won't work out, then tomorrow.

> Also, I'd do the quests with her in solo PWed games, to get a feel for how
> she performs. Also, do plenty of teleporting, to also practice that.

I remember my last encounter with corpsefire (unique zombie in den of
evil), he was fire and cold immune, the primary attacks of my sorc and
no other player there to help.

This gave me a very quick impression of the problems :)

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6i3ra$bnn$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>> You do know you can keep your mouse-button depressed to cast spells at the
>> maximum speed? You can either click-and-hold on a monster, and the sorc
>> will fire away until that monster dies, or press shift and click-and-hold
>> on an empty part of the screen, and she will fire there indefinately?
>>
>> Might save your mouse's buttons and/or your fingers/wrist...
>
>My current knowledge is that it works for left-button spells as you
>described, but the right-button spells don't repeat. Nova is only
>available on the right mouse button IIRC.
>
>If right-button spells also have autorepeat I made a big mistake so far.
>
>It's easy to find out. I'll check that this eveneing :)

Now that you mention left vs right mouse-button I'm no longer sure either.
I know the CL on my FO/CL's sorc autorepeats, but it's on the left button.
Err, ah! *flash of light*, but Teleport is on the right mouse button, and
when teleporting around the Black Marsh, I just keep the right button
depressed and she jumps around like crazy.

But FO is so slow, I do not autorepeat that. Besides, I mix them: 2 x CL,
1 x FO, 2 x CL usually.

>Mouse buttons: there is something that is a big problem for me. Teleport
>and static field both seem be available only for the right mouse button.
>So the sequence teleport - static field - teleport requires two extra
>keypresses. It'd be much easier if I could have teleport on right button
>and static on left. Is there a way to get that?

I'm not sure if that's possible, but what you can do is remap your
keyboard a bit, so you have all the important stuff nearby in a convenient
layout.

I should also do that, but simply don't have the motivation to do that,
but I realise I might have to do that with a spell like Static Field.

>Hell is quite hard, so I want a very strong char before I change.

At least she'll start levelling again once she progresses a bit in Hell
again. I noticed my lvl82 sorc gained a level quite quickly just doing a
bunch of countess runs, and doing more I'm now at about lvl 83 3/4.

>> I'd say, move over to Hell Act I and see how it goes with Miss RocketSorc.
>
>I plan to do that today, and if that won't work out, then tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to your in-depth report! :)

>> Also, I'd do the quests with her in solo PWed games, to get a feel for how
>> she performs. Also, do plenty of teleporting, to also practice that.
>
>I remember my last encounter with corpsefire (unique zombie in den of
>evil), he was fire and cold immune, the primary attacks of my sorc and
>no other player there to help.
>
>This gave me a very quick impression of the problems :)

At least give her your wand with Lower Resist charges in stash, so she can
immunities... :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 1:32:54 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:

>> Brian Brunner wrote::

>> > Use magic damage: Telekinesis will kill them Berserk should also
>> > (haven't tried that one myself).
>> >
>> > Magic damage is the key.
>>
>> Thank you. I'll try that once I find another one.
>>
>> Do you know what's wrong with them? The leaper wasn't listed as immune,
>> and the rest of his pack fell to my frozen orb.

It is a game bug as others have stated, I just mentioned the
work-around.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 2:24:54 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6i3ra$bnn$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

[autorepeat on mouse buttons]

> Now that you mention left vs right mouse-button I'm no longer sure either.
> I know the CL on my FO/CL's sorc autorepeats, but it's on the left button.
> Err, ah! *flash of light*, but Teleport is on the right mouse button, and
> when teleporting around the Black Marsh, I just keep the right button
> depressed and she jumps around like crazy.

Once again I learned something new! Yes, autorepeat works on the right
button as well. Very handy for the nova chain casting!

>>Mouse buttons: there is something that is a big problem for me. Teleport
>>and static field both seem be available only for the right mouse button.
>>So the sequence teleport - static field - teleport requires two extra
>>keypresses. It'd be much easier if I could have teleport on right button
>>and static on left. Is there a way to get that?
>
> I'm not sure if that's possible, but what you can do is remap your
> keyboard a bit, so you have all the important stuff nearby in a convenient
> layout.

Static is on F2, teleport is in F8.

I'm usually using the F-keys as spell hotkeys, and try to have a
somewhat consistent layout.

> I should also do that, but simply don't have the motivation to do that,
> but I realise I might have to do that with a spell like Static Field.

Yes, after teleporting close to a boss, one must be quick :)

>>Hell is quite hard, so I want a very strong char before I change.
>
> At least she'll start levelling again once she progresses a bit in Hell
> again. I noticed my lvl82 sorc gained a level quite quickly just doing a
> bunch of countess runs, and doing more I'm now at about lvl 83 3/4.

I didn't play the rocket for ~10 days so I forgot that the merc was only
level 50 something. Oh well, once again! Despite the Black Hades armor
that he got yesterday he kept dying way too fast.

>>>I'd say, move over to Hell Act I and see how it goes with Miss RocketSorc.
>>
>>I plan to do that today, and if that won't work out, then tomorrow.
>
> I'm looking forward to your in-depth report! :)

Funny experience: there are players who watch out for "baal for quest"
games and bring in their level 1 mules that they want to rush to hell
using the glitch in the baal quest. I'm not quite sure what should think
about that, the mules make the game harder, OTOH I usually appreciate
all help and the rushers are strong characters.

But I didn't play very long in hell. My merc died every few minutes, and
I ran out of money to revive him very soon. I did act 1 quest 1 and 2.
While the den of evil was fairly easy with the rocket, quest 2 turned
out to be difficult because the zombies and skeletons shield bloodraven
from fire balls and it was quite dangerous to get close enough to use nova.

After that I went back to nightmare to level my merc. Mixing a boss tour
and WSK cleanouts. I start with Eldritch, Schenk, clean the WSK (without
Baal), then a countess visit. Rince, repeat.

My merc likes the tour, he levels fast, hit lvl 63 quite quickly. I
still use my sorc to kill things, so she levels a bit, too, now slowly
approaching lvl 76. I think I'll continue to do this tour until my sorc
is lvl 76 and the merc has caught up to lvl 70 or more.

I found some nice things on this tour, particularly I was amazed about
the masses of flawless gems that I collected! My gem mule can't carry
anything more.

It's seriously time to buy things for PGems to get some space again.

Almost no amethyst, though, only one flawless, but lots of rubies,
topazes and emeralds. Some flawless skulls, and few flawless diamonds,
dropped too.

My merc got a new helmet, nothing spectacular, but better than before, a
magic crown with 88 defense and +11 life. It replaced an exceptional
helm with 81 defense and no other mods.

I found a 2 socket sallet, that I want to use for the "Lore" runeword.

Some nice charms with +life and +mana dropped in the WSK that replaced
some of the old ones that she was carrying. No resistance charms,
though, but I'm hoping for better ones, too.

But no rare boots. And no rare belt :(
And no 4 socket one handed sword.

I want to try "Spirit" in a sword with my other sorc. It should be
superior in comparison to the rare orb that she currently uses, not much
but a little. A "Spirit" monarch is not an option currently.

Some rares and even uniques that I had no use for (either I had them
already or they were worse than things I have) were sold for gold.

She's slowly powering up. Both by levelling and by finding better equipment.

>>>Also, I'd do the quests with her in solo PWed games, to get a feel for how
>>>she performs. Also, do plenty of teleporting, to also practice that.

I think I'll do that. Usually I like to play public games, but yesterday
a player spoiled the game that I opened. I was questing in the den of
evil, some players joined and helped, then another player came in and
went down to Andy and let us know "Come my tp, I kill Andy with you lot
or without". The other players rushed for the tp, and all of a sudden I
was alone in the Den of evil, Andy quest was gone and my coplayers, too.

I like to rush rhough normal and even nightmare, but in hell a rush is
so senseless IMO. I continued my quest, cleared the den, and then also
got quest 2.

But I seriously consider closed games now, so that I can quest undisturbed.

> At least give her your wand with Lower Resist charges in stash, so she can
> immunities... :)

I forgot that, my other sorc has it :(

I had to flee one of those unique shamen who resurrect fallen. He was
fire and lightning immune, and my merc always went for the fallan
instead of the shaman.

Conclusion: Rocket now performs quite well in late nightmare, solo
games, and can survive in early hell. She and her merc both must level a
bit and hopefully find more useful items that help to get stronger in
hell. Resistences are needed badly.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6k6sm$1nr$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> Yesterday-evening, while doing some more Countess runs, I remembered about
> static on my FO/CL sorc, so I started practicing that. Now The Countess
> goes down even faster: a few SF's, then throw out a few CLs and down she
> goes.

Yes, I saw that you got faster, but I thought it's just the experience
and practise from all the runs :)

> My current problem is how I can cube up all those Thuls, Amns, Sols, Dols,
> etc, because I'm now running out of chippies.

Can you keep one of the Sols? I need one :)
I still have 4 Pamethyst saved and plenty of other PGems.

> So I did a quick runaround of Act 1 Black Marsh Normal, and did a Countess
> run there, but this time killing everything on the way. I scored quite a
> few chippies so I could finally cube up 6 Sols I had lying around.

Oh well! Maybe you find another one :)  I'd like to trade for it.

> I'm not
> saving them up yet, because they drop so often from Hell Countess, I'll
> have a bunch before I know it. Chipped Topazes would be nice though,
> because I have at least 8 Thuls on my rune mule now.

I must check my chars. I might have a few on my low level chars, but
definitely not many and I have no idea which types. I only rememeber one
single chipped ruby for sure.

> Cubing the Sols also finally got me the 2nd Shael I needed to do another
> thing I was planning on doing: re-socket my ethereal Hone Sundan: it had 2
> x Amn/1 x Shael in it, but my Obedience experiment showed that the necro's
> merc doesn't need (a lot of) life leech to survive, so now the Hone Sundan
> has 1 x Amn/2 x Shael in it. I'll probably put the Hone back on the merc,
> and mule out the Obedience Thresher, to another character's merc, but I'm
> not sure yet which one...

Ah, so the Sols went to good use :)

OTOH I happily would have given you a Shael for the Sol, becuase I need
a Sol bad, but the Countess only gave me an Amn an a Shael, but not a
Sol so far!

Do you keep stats about the runes and runs? I track them for nightmare,
I'd be interested in comparing these to your findings in hell. OTOH I
have too few runs done to have significant results. I just can tell that
Els lead by 5:1 against any other type of rune ;)

> Another thing that surprises me is how many uniques I find when killing
> the Countess; not only the weapon- and armour racks drop nice stuff, but
> Mrs. Countess herself (or a boss in the same room, hard to see when CLs
> are weaving around) dropped a Templar's Might yesterday-evening. No idea
> what to do with it though. Also, several other uniques dropped, but I sold
> most of them for gold.

In nightmare of course the drops are limited, but she gives me
interesting (IMO) things often, about as often as Eldritch and Schenk
(how's his name written correctly in english? I only have a german
version of D2!). I lately run all three in one go.

>>I didn't play the rocket for ~10 days so I forgot that the merc was only
>>level 50 something. Oh well, once again! Despite the Black Hades armor
>>that he got yesterday he kept dying way too fast.
>
> Lvl50 is weak, very weak, for a merc in Hell. I think you should invest
> some time in levelling him up to exactly your level, not even a few levels
> below you.

Let's see how far he can catch up until my sorc hits level 76. Then we
try hell again. If he is still too weak, we go back to nightmare and
continue training.

> You need a strong merc in Hell, with a good polearm, and life
> leech. He should deal at least something in the order of ~2000 dmg per
> hit, so life leech becomes interesting...

He has an Insight Partizan and I think no item gives him life leech so
far. He has healing and the meditation aura, so usually he heals fast,
but only between battles.

I have no better 4 socket polearm, the Partizan is actually the stronger
of the two Insight polearms that I have, and the next Sol is needed for
a Lore helm.

I must check how much damage he can do, but I doubt it's 2000.

>>But I didn't play very long in hell. My merc died every few minutes, and
>>I ran out of money to revive him very soon. I did act 1 quest 1 and 2.
>
> You need to level him up to exactly your own level. What's the merc's
> equipment, besides the Black Hades armor?

The Insight Partizan (not ethereal), and the elsewhere mentioned magic
crown that I got yesterday from Eldritch (88 def, +11 life). As usual a
mixture of bad, good and strange things :)

>>After that I went back to nightmare to level my merc. Mixing a boss tour
>>and WSK cleanouts. I start with Eldritch, Schenk, clean the WSK (without
>>Baal), then a countess visit. Rince, repeat.
>
> Sounds good! Nice things are bound to drop...

Yes, it really worth the effort, and except Listor and his pack there
isn't a problem in WSK at all. I often skip Listor.

> Again: get the merc to lvl76, your own level, then retry Hell. And update
> his gear.

No options currently, must wait for drops or trades. I think I'll not
wait until my merc catches up fully, but do tests now and then. Once the
tests are ok, we start seriously to continue hell.

> One other reason to do that: a merc gains res-all at each level
> up, and with such a low level merc as you're using, elemental attacks are
> very deadly to him.

Yes, that's right. IIRC the current equipment doesn't give him a lot of
resists either, 30% cold resist seems to be all he gets.

>>I found some nice things on this tour, particularly I was amazed about
>>the masses of flawless gems that I collected! My gem mule can't carry
>>anything more.
>
> I do hope you cube these up to Perfect stuff?

Yes, sure :)

>>It's seriously time to buy things for PGems to get some space again.
>
> Or make another PGem mule; you can get a Pul for 20 (or a Harlequin's
> Crest), and most of your other 'dream gear' is significantly cheaper than
> that.

I should have more than 30 PGems in stock.

> If you have some spare chipped gems, I'd be happy to 'borrow' some of you,
> because chippies are now quickly becoming another bottleneck for me. :)

If we meet this evening I'll go through my chars and look whats there.
I'm sure I have a few, but I didn't keep many of them.

>>My merc got a new helmet, nothing spectacular, but better than before, a
>>magic crown with 88 defense and +11 life. It replaced an exceptional
>>helm with 81 defense and no other mods.
>
> Hmm, I think this merc needs something a bit more potent than that; at
> least try to get some combat oriented stuff on his helmet: IAS/FHR/Life
> leech, or something. I think I can be online this evening, and I'll
> rummage through the mules to find something for him. I'm not promising
> anything 'godly' but at least something that will allow this merc to
> survive longer in Hell..

I'm happy about all help and items that I can get, but I don't want to
cause work or take anything away that you might need by yourself!

>>Some nice charms with +life and +mana dropped in the WSK that replaced
>>some of the old ones that she was carrying. No resistance charms,
>>though, but I'm hoping for better ones, too.
>
> Just keep on questing; good resistance charms are quite rare, and
> therefore quite valuable. Be happy with about any 'Shimmering' Charm of
> any type that drops, and if you find Small Charms with 10 or 11% resist to
> one element, or Grand Charms with 27+% resist to one element, rejoice! :)
>
> And keep 'em. Those charms are good equipment to 'tune' a character.

I have a mule for charms. All unused or replaced charms are collected
there :)  from time to time I try to optimize the collections of charms
that my characters use.

>>But no rare boots. And no rare belt :(
>
> You might want rare boots for the sorc, but you definately do not want a
> rare belt, you want a sorceress related unique or set item. Perhaps
> something like Tal's Belt? I have plenty of those left.

The rocket has a belt that is quite ok, but my FW/FO sorc hasn't a good
belt yet. She'll be happy about a better belt :)

> I would keep it in mind though. :)  Spirit in a Monarch is quite an asset
> for a sorc, and I think the points put in Str are more than outweighed by
> the benefits of Spirit in the shield.

A 4 socket monarch doesn't seem to be easy to find. I think I never saw
one, and I know that oneother player is looking for one since weeks, he
whsipers me almost every day if I saw a 4 socket shield :)

I keep enough spare attribute points so any of my sorcs can use one, if
I get one, but I don't really plan for it. Luck will decide what happens.

>>She's slowly powering up. Both by levelling and by finding better equipment.
>
> Sounds good! If you have time, I'd be happy to do some Hell Act 1 questing
> together with her, also to see how she holds herself there..

I think we should wait until she gets one more level, and the merc
caught up a bit. IMO she's really at the lower border, quill rats are a
serious threat, and bigger packs of monsters must be avoided.

I'm not sure what I should think.

Let me put it this way: The character is weak. Surviving in hell more
depends on my skills than the characters. One mistake means death.

As long as the merc is alive ES, prayer and meditation auras help a lot,
but at least yesterday my merc died to often, and left alone the sorc is
quite vulnerable and weak.

> I can understand people want to rush through Normal and NM, but Hell is
> something that has to be 'experienced' and/or 'savioured'. :)  Hell is
> where your build and your playing-skills are tested to the limits, and
> it's simply a shame to let the opportunity pass to play there the way it's
> meant to be: either solo, or in a party that has the same goals as
> yourself.

Yes, hell is a whole new dimension of the game, at least for characters
and players who enter newly.

>>Conclusion: Rocket now performs quite well in late nightmare, solo
>>games, and can survive in early hell. She and her merc both must level a
>>bit and hopefully find more useful items that help to get stronger in
>>hell. Resistences are needed badly.
>
> Sounds good, Hell is also bound to drop some nice stuff for you on the
> way... Just pick up every rare item, every charm that drops and ID it all.

Will do for sure :)

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6kokn$e7t$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>> Yesterday-evening, while doing some more Countess runs, I remembered about
>> static on my FO/CL sorc, so I started practicing that. Now The Countess
>> goes down even faster: a few SF's, then throw out a few CLs and down she
>> goes.
>
>Yes, I saw that you got faster, but I thought it's just the experience
>and practise from all the runs :)

Killing the Countess was never the defining part of a Countess run, so you
probably saw a bunch of lucky (or not so lucky ;)  runs: either I found the
tower/cellar exits quickly, and/or the countess dropped nothing besides
some runes, so I didn't need to TP back to town to offload some stuff. :)

>Can you keep one of the Sols? I need one :)
>I still have 4 Pamethyst saved and plenty of other PGems.

Oops. ;)  I cubed up 2 x 3 to a Shael each, but I think I have at least one
more left on the rune mule, and I'd be happy to give it to you. I'll find
plenty of those with a few more runs, experience shows.

>> So I did a quick runaround of Act 1 Black Marsh Normal, and did a Countess
>> run there, but this time killing everything on the way. I scored quite a
>> few chippies so I could finally cube up 6 Sols I had lying around.
>
>Oh well! Maybe you find another one :)  I'd like to trade for it.

We'll do that this evening, no problem.

>I must check my chars. I might have a few on my low level chars, but
>definitely not many and I have no idea which types. I only rememeber one
>single chipped ruby for sure.

I find of lot when starting a new character, but all current projects are
currently into NM and beyond, and the amount of chippies that drops is
negligable.

>Ah, so the Sols went to good use :)

It's just that my rune-mule is a bit overflowing with runes. While I like
to have some Sols around, 6 or 7 is a bit much... :)

>OTOH I happily would have given you a Shael for the Sol, becuase I need
>a Sol bad, but the Countess only gave me an Amn an a Shael, but not a
>Sol so far!

If only I'd known that! :)

>Do you keep stats about the runes and runs? I track them for nightmare,
>I'd be interested in comparing these to your findings in hell. OTOH I
>have too few runs done to have significant results. I just can tell that
>Els lead by 5:1 against any other type of rune ;)

No, no detailed stats. That would slow me down, to note down the finds. :)
Also, I don't need stats to realize the gains are nice. Of course, you
won't find any high-runes doing this, but you will be able to gather
enough rune-packs to for instance do several re-socket actions of the
Spirit and/or Insight runewords.

>In nightmare of course the drops are limited, but she gives me
>interesting (IMO) things often, about as often as Eldritch and Schenk
>(how's his name written correctly in english? I only have a german
>version of D2!). I lately run all three in one go.

I think it's 'Shenk the Overseer' in the English version.

Those last two are/were also the usual targets when doing Hell MF runs
with the skelliemanicer, they can drop nice stuff, and are very easy to
reach.

>Let's see how far he can catch up until my sorc hits level 76. Then we
>try hell again. If he is still too weak, we go back to nightmare and
>continue training.

Things should improve as he comes closer to you, and encounters monsters
of his own level. The problem in Hell is that even the lowest of monsters
there are mlvl70+, so a lvl60 merc will not get much exp from that.

>He has an Insight Partizan and I think no item gives him life leech so
>far. He has healing and the meditation aura, so usually he heals fast,
>but only between battles.

Ah, yes, silly me, this is an Insight merc, so he can hopefully heal
himself using the Prayer/Meditation combo.

>I have no better 4 socket polearm, the Partizan is actually the stronger
>of the two Insight polearms that I have, and the next Sol is needed for
>a Lore helm.
>
>I must check how much damage he can do, but I doubt it's 2000.

The 2000 was just a ballpark figure, based upon the life of monsters in
Hell and how many hits the merc needs to kill 'em. This is also the reason
I'm currently quite happy with the non-ethereal Insight Partizan, but also
why I'm still looking for an ethereal elite superior polearm with 4
sockets. Superior would be really, nice, but then you're holding a
multi-Ist valued polearm. ;)

>> You need to level him up to exactly your own level. What's the merc's
>> equipment, besides the Black Hades armor?
>
>The Insight Partizan (not ethereal), and the elsewhere mentioned magic
>crown that I got yesterday from Eldritch (88 def, +11 life). As usual a
>mixture of bad, good and strange things :)

Hmmm, yes, the Insight polearm is a given, so that only leaves the armor
and helmet for leech. Armor-wise the Black Hades is nice, but there are
better merc armors around of course. Not many have life leech however. So
that leaves your helmet for something with life leech, and plenty of those
are available.

>> Or make another PGem mule; you can get a Pul for 20 (or a Harlequin's
>> Crest), and most of your other 'dream gear' is significantly cheaper than
>> that.
>
>I should have more than 30 PGems in stock.

Aha! That's good news, now the real trading can begin! :)

Just create a B.Net game called: "N Shako O Pgems" and wait for a seller.
(If you need a Shako, replace with other gear you need of course.)

Or try to find one of those "O items N Pgems" games; I sometimes create a
game like that when I want to get rid of a bunch of items. It is however,
usually, quite slow-going.

>If we meet this evening I'll go through my chars and look whats there.
>I'm sure I have a few, but I didn't keep many of them.

Cool!

>I'm happy about all help and items that I can get, but I don't want to
>cause work or take anything away that you might need by yourself!

I'll look around a bit. I think I have at least a few unique helmets with
some nice merc-specific mods on them.

>I have a mule for charms. All unused or replaced charms are collected
>there :)  from time to time I try to optimize the collections of charms
>that my characters use.

And move out stuff that's surpassed by new finds. Just like the mana GC I
gave you yesterday. There's only so much inventory space I'm willing to
sacrifice for +mana, and the mana suffix can also spawn with the +life,
FRW or FHR suffix for instance. :)

>> You might want rare boots for the sorc, but you definately do not want a
>> rare belt, you want a sorceress related unique or set item. Perhaps
>> something like Tal's Belt? I have plenty of those left.
>
>The rocket has a belt that is quite ok, but my FW/FO sorc hasn't a good
>belt yet. She'll be happy about a better belt :)

Will do! :)

>> I would keep it in mind though. :)  Spirit in a Monarch is quite an asset
>> for a sorc, and I think the points put in Str are more than outweighed by
>> the benefits of Spirit in the shield.
>
>A 4 socket monarch doesn't seem to be easy to find. I think I never saw
>one, and I know that oneother player is looking for one since weeks, he
>whsipers me almost every day if I saw a 4 socket shield :)

Oops. I found a Monarch also during one of the runs yesterday. 137 def, no
sockets, so it will get 4 from Larzuk. However, I already have a
non-socketed higher-def Monarch on a merc, so I finally decided to sell it
for 35k... :(

If you're interested in the next plain Monarch I find, let me know, I'll
put it apart for you. You'll have to socket it yourself then though...

>I keep enough spare attribute points so any of my sorcs can use one, if
>I get one, but I don't really plan for it. Luck will decide what happens.

Apparently they can even drop in Act 1 Hell, but I'm not sure if that can
happen from any of the regular monsters/armor racks, or if only bosses
and/or The Countess can drop them.

Best place to find them in Act 1 might be The Pit, a lvl85 area...?

>Let me put it this way: The character is weak. Surviving in hell more
>depends on my skills than the characters. One mistake means death.
>
>As long as the merc is alive ES, prayer and meditation auras help a lot,
>but at least yesterday my merc died to often, and left alone the sorc is
>quite vulnerable and weak.

This is also the part which still make me undecided about the RocketSorc,
and which is the reason why FB/Mystery girl is still just that; should I
go Nova, or should I go FO... The FO/FB sorc is probably more of an
all-rounder, able to quest a lot of areas by herself, the Nova/FB sorc is
more a few-trick pony, but perhaps very neat for Countess running.
However, the irony would of course be if Miss RocketSorc turned out to be
_slower_ than my current FO/CL sorc for doing the countess. ;-\

We'll see. Perhaps I will stay true to 'FeirAndIce's name, and make one
more 'jack-of-many-trades' sorc, and make the next one a RocketSorc. :)

"FeirAndIce', when I choose FO, will however never be quite capable of
running Hell Countess, because she'll always be immune to both of her main
offensive spells...

[snipsnipsnip]

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 9:17:42 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6kokn$e7t$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>>OTOH I happily would have given you a Shael for the Sol, becuase I need
>>a Sol bad, but the Countess only gave me an Amn an a Shael, but not a
>>Sol so far!
>
> If only I'd known that! :)

We didn't know about each others plans so we didn't ask :)

>>Do you keep stats about the runes and runs?

> No, no detailed stats. That would slow me down, to note down the finds. :)

I have a list of the runes and just mark those that I find. It doesn't
really take long :)  I don't track the other finds.

> Also, I don't need stats to realize the gains are nice.

I'm interested in the distribution of the runes, the relative
probabilities. According to my current stats the amn and shael that I
found are very lucky exceptions.

> Of course, you
> won't find any high-runes doing this, but you will be able to gather
> enough rune-packs to for instance do several re-socket actions of the
> Spirit and/or Insight runewords.

Right. I know there is a limit, but I couldn't find a definite source of
information. It seems to be Io or Ko, then there is a serious drop in
the likeliness of a drop (something like the highest 'common' rune
drops 1:200 while the next one drops 1:3000 or less)

My NM countess runs are not very serious. I'll stop that as soon as the
rocket becomes playable in hell.

> Things should improve as he comes closer to you, and encounters monsters
> of his own level. The problem in Hell is that even the lowest of monsters
> there are mlvl70+, so a lvl60 merc will not get much exp from that.

So he should level really well now in WSK, monsters there are ~65 and he
is 63.

> I'll look around a bit. I think I have at least a few unique helmets
> with some nice merc-specific mods on them.

:)

>>>Or make another PGem mule; you can get a Pul for 20 (or a Harlequin's
>>>Crest), and most of your other 'dream gear' is significantly cheaper than
>>>that.
>>
>>I should have more than 30 PGems in stock.
>
> Aha! That's good news, now the real trading can begin! :)
>
> Just create a B.Net game called: "N Shako O Pgems" and wait for a seller.
> (If you need a Shako, replace with other gear you need of course.)

Yes a Shako is no.1 on my wishlist. Any of my characters would like it,
but the first one goes to the rocket.

In which difficulty do you suggest to make the game? My gem mule can
only join normal games, but that shouldn't be a problem, once the seller
and I agreed on the deal, we can always open a normal game to do the
actual trade.

>>If we meet this evening I'll go through my chars and look whats there.
>>I'm sure I have a few, but I didn't keep many of them.
>
> Cool!

:)

>>I have a mule for charms. All unused or replaced charms are collected
>>there :)  from time to time I try to optimize the collections of charms
>>that my characters use.
>
> And move out stuff that's surpassed by new finds. Just like the mana GC I
> gave you yesterday. There's only so much inventory space I'm willing to
> sacrifice for +mana, and the mana suffix can also spawn with the +life,
> FRW or FHR suffix for instance. :)

I guess you couldn't see it, but the GC replaced a large charm that had
a whopping +4 to mana and a small one that had +7. Both went to the
charm mule.

I keep a 4x4 area open in the inventory.

>>A 4 socket monarch doesn't seem to be easy to find. I think I never saw
>>one, and I know that oneother player is looking for one since weeks, he
>>whsipers me almost every day if I saw a 4 socket shield :)
>
> Oops. I found a Monarch also during one of the runs yesterday. 137 def, no
> sockets, so it will get 4 from Larzuk. However, I already have a
> non-socketed higher-def Monarch on a merc, so I finally decided to sell it
> for 35k... :(
>
> If you're interested in the next plain Monarch I find, let me know, I'll
> put it apart for you. You'll have to socket it yourself then though...

I have quite some add socket quests saved. All actually, I never used
them so far. Should be enough to socket 11 items or so :)

But I'll need some time to think about the perfect strategy. The monarch
will cause a major item shuffle among my sorcs, which also includes
resistance charms and stuff. I must plan that rather carefully.

I guess the rocket benefits most, she needs mana and +skill most,
although the high strength will be very odd for that character :)

Hmmm if I buy a shako, and make the Spirit shield I have to replace the
staff by an orb, but she still gets +3 skills overall!

>>Let me put it this way: The character is weak. Surviving in hell more
>>depends on my skills than the characters. One mistake means death.
>>
>>As long as the merc is alive ES, prayer and meditation auras help a lot,
>>but at least yesterday my merc died to often, and left alone the sorc is
>>quite vulnerable and weak.
>
> This is also the part which still make me undecided about the RocketSorc,
> and which is the reason why FB/Mystery girl is still just that; should I
> go Nova, or should I go FO... The FO/FB sorc is probably more of an
> all-rounder, able to quest a lot of areas by herself, the Nova/FB sorc is
> more a few-trick pony, but perhaps very neat for Countess running.

I tend to say my FW/FO sorc is stronger in general. In many cases the
rocket is faster, though. Nova is a strange thing. It can wipe out areas
with masses of monsters in no time if the monsters have bad lightning
resists. Frozen Orb never kills that fast, let alone fire walls. But
fire walls deal way more damage and cold mastery lowers enemy resists,
so FO deals more damage against monsters with resists.

It's funny, currently I have a real good comparison. The rocket is lvl
75, the FW/FO sorc is 76. Both have comparable "rabbi" mercs, both have
similar levels of +skills gear.

The rocket has better armor, her merc has way better armor than the
other has.

Against the average monster, the rocket is the faster killer. But if
monsters have lots of life, the rocket gets real weak, while the FW/FO
sorceress still can bring them down. Fire wall now does 4900
damage/second, that really hurts, and FO does almost 400 per shard with
-90 opponents cold res, that's a real killer, too.

Nova does ~700 damage, but the stun effect is missing against real
strong monsters.

> However, the irony would of course be if Miss RocketSorc turned out to be
> _slower_ than my current FO/CL sorc for doing the countess. ;-\

Rocket is definitely faster than my FW/FO sorc, but particularly FW is
slow, and FO travels slowly, too.

CL should be comparable to nova and even has a bigger range.

Did I tell about the CL sorc that I once met in a hell baal run and
which wiped out the throne room with a few CLs? Most likely she used
static field, too, but it went all so quick I can't say for sure ...

I think she was a single element sorc, most likely she needed help to
get there. But she's been a killer in a this run.

I was there with my assassin. I joined late, she was already down in the
throne room and gave me a tp. I only experienced the last three waves of
minions.

Before my traps really started to fire, the minions of each wave were
gone, including Listor and pack. Really. I almost couldn't believe it.
It was a demonstration of power. I knew that CL can be boosted
incredibly if you put all points into the lightning tree, but seeing it
in a game is something else!

Anyways, most likely not a build we want to try.

> We'll see. Perhaps I will stay true to 'FeirAndIce's name, and make one
> more 'jack-of-many-trades' sorc, and make the next one a RocketSorc. :)

I have 4 characters now that I should play, but I usually only play one
of them regularly. Of cause it's nice to try new things, but keep in
mind, you can't play all of them :)

> "FeirAndIce', when I choose FO, will however never be quite capable of
> running Hell Countess, because she'll always be immune to both of her main
> offensive spells...

Same here. So I'm happy to have both, the rocket and my own version of
fire and ice :)

But you have IceCouldKiller anyways so there is no problem!

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6kv2j$ssp$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

>>>OTOH I happily would have given you a Shael for the Sol, becuase I need
>>>a Sol bad, but the Countess only gave me an Amn an a Shael, but not a
>>>Sol so far!
>>
>> If only I'd known that! :)
>
>We didn't know about each others plans so we didn't ask :)

Well, next time you or I are looking for a low rune, we'll /w each-other,
agreed? ;)

>>>Do you keep stats about the runes and runs?
>
>> No, no detailed stats. That would slow me down, to note down the finds. :)
>
>I have a list of the runes and just mark those that I find. It doesn't
>really take long :)  I don't track the other finds.

You're right, this is indeed quite easy. OK, I'll make a form, and the
next bunch of runs I'll do some logging. :)

>> Also, I don't need stats to realize the gains are nice.
>
>I'm interested in the distribution of the runes, the relative
>probabilities. According to my current stats the amn and shael that I
>found are very lucky exceptions.

I think people posted quite a few overviews of Countess runs here in the
past; Google might help there...

>Right. I know there is a limit, but I couldn't find a definite source of
>information. It seems to be Io or Ko, then there is a serious drop in
>the likeliness of a drop (something like the highest 'common' rune
>drops 1:200 while the next one drops 1:3000 or less)

I did some Countess runs in the past, but these were of the walking
variant with my skelliemancer: took a long time, and if it takes you 5+
minutes to get there, and find 2 Els and one Eld, I quickly lost interest.
However, with the new record times... :)

>> Just create a B.Net game called: "N Shako O Pgems" and wait for a seller.
>> (If you need a Shako, replace with other gear you need of course.)
>
>Yes a Shako is no.1 on my wishlist. Any of my characters would like it,
>but the first one goes to the rocket.
>
>In which difficulty do you suggest to make the game? My gem mule can
>only join normal games, but that shouldn't be a problem, once the seller
>and I agreed on the deal, we can always open a normal game to do the
>actual trade.

The direct option would be to make the game with the gem-mule. Some people
do look at lists of Normal games for trades. The other option would be to
register at Blizzard's trade forum, and offer the 20 pgems there. That
would get you a Harlequin's Crest within a matter of a few hours at most,
I reckon.

>> If you're interested in the next plain Monarch I find, let me know, I'll
>> put it apart for you. You'll have to socket it yourself then though...
>
>I have quite some add socket quests saved. All actually, I never used
>them so far. Should be enough to socket 11 items or so :)
>
>But I'll need some time to think about the perfect strategy. The monarch
>will cause a major item shuffle among my sorcs, which also includes
>resistance charms and stuff. I must plan that rather carefully.
>
>I guess the rocket benefits most, she needs mana and +skill most,
>although the high strength will be very odd for that character :)
>
>Hmmm if I buy a shako, and make the Spirit shield I have to replace the
>staff by an orb, but she still gets +3 skills overall!

Yup, good stuff eh!? Ok, next Monarch I find I'll keep and let you know. 1
'spare' on a mule is not really enough, eh? ;)

[snip, all read with interest]

>Did I tell about the CL sorc that I once met in a hell baal run and
>which wiped out the throne room with a few CLs? Most likely she used
>static field, too, but it went all so quick I can't say for sure ...
>
>I think she was a single element sorc, most likely she needed help to
>get there. But she's been a killer in a this run.
>
>I was there with my assassin. I joined late, she was already down in the
>throne room and gave me a tp. I only experienced the last three waves of
>minions.
>
>Before my traps really started to fire, the minions of each wave were
>gone, including Listor and pack. Really. I almost couldn't believe it.
>It was a demonstration of power. I knew that CL can be boosted
>incredibly if you put all points into the lightning tree, but seeing it
>in a game is something else!
>
>Anyways, most likely not a build we want to try.

You can make some quite extreme builds indeed. And if you tune your
equipment, including socketing items with lightning facets, you can reach
some quite ridiculous amounts of damage. It also seems a lighting facet's
efficiency doesn't come from the lightning damage modifier it adds (this
just gets added to the multi-100 enhanced damage of LM), but due to the
decreased lightning resist, acting a bit like CM's effect... Hmmm.

Oh well, I only ever found one lightning facet in my entire D2 career, and
that was in SC... :(  The other one I held was in a trade in the previous
ladder. Never did use it, i think it was a poison one.

>I have 4 characters now that I should play, but I usually only play one
>of them regularly. Of cause it's nice to try new things, but keep in
>mind, you can't play all of them :)

I know, I know, which is why I'm reluctant to start yet another one.
FeirAndIce has just come upto warp-speed really, so I'd like to keep it
that way. :)

>> "FeirAndIce', when I choose FO, will however never be quite capable of
>> running Hell Countess, because she'll always be immune to both of her main
>> offensive spells...
>
>Same here. So I'm happy to have both, the rocket and my own version of
>fire and ice :)
>
>But you have IceCouldKiller anyways so there is no problem!

I indeed already have a quite efficient Countess runner, so no real use
for a RocketSorc, besides the 'novelty-value'. :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 2:57:56 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6k6sm$1nr$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Another thing that surprises me is how many uniques I find when killing
> the Countess; not only the weapon- and armour racks drop nice stuff, but
> Mrs. Countess herself (or a boss in the same room, hard to see when CLs
> are weaving around) dropped a Templar's Might yesterday-evening. No idea
> what to do with it though. Also, several other uniques dropped, but I sold
> most of them for gold.

I wasn't so lucky yet, but I only have 7 runs in hell on my record so
far. I don't really 'run' the countess, but clear the tower cellar
levels at least partially for exp and item drops, the countess being the
final goodie down there :)

>>I didn't play the rocket for ~10 days so I forgot that the merc was only
>>level 50 something. Oh well, once again! Despite the Black Hades armor
>>that he got yesterday he kept dying way too fast.
>
> Lvl50 is weak, very weak, for a merc in Hell. I think you should invest
> some time in levelling him up to exactly your level, not even a few levels
> below you. You need a strong merc in Hell, with a good polearm, and life
> leech.

IIRC I leveled him to 67 in nightmare then we changed to hell again,
where he caught up fairly quickly (within 5 hours of gameplay). Now my
rocket sorc is level 78 and the merc, too.

Your suggestion to use Tal Rashas mask as a helm for the merc was
perfect. The 10% life leech help him a lot.

>>While the den of evil was fairly easy with the rocket, quest 2 turned
>>out to be difficult because the zombies and skeletons shield bloodraven
>>from fire balls and it was quite dangerous to get close enough to use nova.
>
> I'm also a bit wary for Act 1 Hell, because of the many fire immunes one
> encounters there. Also a RocketSorc is very much a two-tree pony; with a
> Cold/Fire sorc, you can at least throw out a few Static Fields to lower
> the life of a Cold/Fire immune monster and hope the merc brings it down..

It's getting better. In act 1 my rocket can now kill things fairly
easily, except some of the nastier modified bosses.

She found better charms with more mana and life and also a few
resistence charms. A while she was running around with fire and poison
resists close to -50 and the other two around -10 and -20.

Now fire, light and cold resists are close to 0 (sounds terrible, but
it's an improvement!), only poison is still at -30.

She finished act 1 this weekend but act 2 turned out to be too dangerous
(lots's of magic skeletons and lots of poisoning!) so she went back to
act 1 doing more countess walks in order to get experience, runes and
hopefully some nice item drops.

> Again: get the merc to lvl76, your own level, then retry Hell. And update
> his gear. One other reason to do that: a merc gains res-all at each level
> up, and with such a low level merc as you're using, elemental attacks are
> very deadly to him.

We're both level 78 now. Funny thing, the primary driver to level up are
now less my own skill improvements but to help my merc :)

Tal Rashas mask helps him a lot, the Black Hades armor is good, but
seriously needs a different socketing. I'm looking for a second Hel,
once I find one, I'll correct that.

> Just keep on questing; good resistance charms are quite rare, and
> therefore quite valuable. Be happy with about any 'Shimmering' Charm of
> any type that drops, and if you find Small Charms with 10 or 11% resist to
> one element, or Grand Charms with 27+% resist to one element, rejoice! :)

Currently I'm happy about almost any charm that gives resistences, but
actually in hell they drop more often than in nightmare, so it's getting
better.

> I can understand people want to rush through Normal and NM, but Hell is
> something that has to be 'experienced' and/or 'savioured'. :)  Hell is
> where your build and your playing-skills are tested to the limits, and
> it's simply a shame to let the opportunity pass to play there the way it's
> meant to be: either solo, or in a party that has the same goals as
> yourself.

I'm playing mostly solo now. At least in hell. This allows me to play at
my own pace, inspect drops carefully, and at least currently my
sorceress is very happy that monsters don't have so much hitpoints in
solo games.

>>Conclusion: Rocket now performs quite well in late nightmare, solo
>>games, and can survive in early hell. She and her merc both must level a
>>bit and hopefully find more useful items that help to get stronger in
>>hell. Resistences are needed badly.
>
> Sounds good, Hell is also bound to drop some nice stuff for you on the
> way... Just pick up every rare item, every charm that drops and ID it all.
> Easy to do when you're solo-ing in a PWed game, and don't have to run
> after a rusher character...

Yes, I found my own pace, and can 'enjoy' hell now. Act 1 almost became
easy :)

Nova became a killer again, at least in act 1 hell. My sorc can wipe
packs of fallen and their shamen easily, and she's tough enough again
for the old trick: run in the middle of a the pack and nova them until
they're gone. But:

Lesson #1: never do that with something that isn't stunned by nova!

Lesson #2: archer boss packs with bad modifiers are deadly if you have
bad resists!

Lesson #3: Mixed packs (e.g. lightning immune goat men and fire immune
fallen) are troublesome, because one type can whack you unhurt while you
try to fight the other.

Currently the rocket is my favorite character again :)

Thanks for all your help and support! Whithout, the rocket would be
retired and marked as a "hopeless case".

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6s5ul$fqp$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> Another thing that surprises me is how many uniques I find when killing
>> the Countess; not only the weapon- and armour racks drop nice stuff, but
>> Mrs. Countess herself (or a boss in the same room, hard to see when CLs
>> are weaving around) dropped a Templar's Might yesterday-evening. No idea
>> what to do with it though. Also, several other uniques dropped, but I sold
>> most of them for gold.
>
>I wasn't so lucky yet, but I only have 7 runs in hell on my record so
>far. I don't really 'run' the countess, but clear the tower cellar
>levels at least partially for exp and item drops, the countess being the
>final goodie down there :)

Any nice runes there? :)  Glad to hear you're starting to like it. ;)

>> Lvl50 is weak, very weak, for a merc in Hell. I think you should invest
>> some time in levelling him up to exactly your level, not even a few levels
>> below you. You need a strong merc in Hell, with a good polearm, and life
>> leech.
>
>IIRC I leveled him to 67 in nightmare then we changed to hell again,
>where he caught up fairly quickly (within 5 hours of gameplay). Now my
>rocket sorc is level 78 and the merc, too.
>
>Your suggestion to use Tal Rashas mask as a helm for the merc was
>perfect. The 10% life leech help him a lot.

Well, it was just the first helmet-type item I encountered when I started
to browse through the mules looking for a nice one for your merc. And when
you then realized you had one of those masks lying around, the conclusion
was made, and you could fix your merc using your own gear. ;)

Anyhow, Tal's Mask has quite a lot going for it for a merc: +life,
+res-all and LL. The other mods are unfortunaly useless for one, but who
cares. ;)

>It's getting better. In act 1 my rocket can now kill things fairly
>easily, except some of the nastier modified bosses.
>
>She found better charms with more mana and life and also a few
>resistence charms. A while she was running around with fire and poison
>resists close to -50 and the other two around -10 and -20.
>
>Now fire, light and cold resists are close to 0 (sounds terrible, but
>it's an improvement!), only poison is still at -30.
>
>She finished act 1 this weekend but act 2 turned out to be too dangerous
> (lots's of magic skeletons and lots of poisoning!) so she went back to
>act 1 doing more countess walks in order to get experience, runes and
>hopefully some nice item drops.

Sounds good again, nice to hear you're progressing nicely!

>We're both level 78 now. Funny thing, the primary driver to level up are
>now less my own skill improvements but to help my merc :)

:)  I think the RocketSorc can use quite some skill points too, for
instance to max Nova and/or LM...?

>Tal Rashas mask helps him a lot, the Black Hades armor is good, but
>seriously needs a different socketing. I'm looking for a second Hel,
>once I find one, I'll correct that.

I'd keep an eye open for a Duriel's Shell; it's a more all-around merc
armor, and is something that you can probably buy for a few pgems (I'd
offer a maximum of 3 for a mediocre one)...

Once you have a lot of Ums, I'd switch to a nice ethereal elite armor with
Duress in.

>I'm playing mostly solo now. At least in hell. This allows me to play at
>my own pace, inspect drops carefully, and at least currently my
>sorceress is very happy that monsters don't have so much hitpoints in
>solo games.

Yup, that's the nice thing about solo-ing.

>Yes, I found my own pace, and can 'enjoy' hell now. Act 1 almost became
>easy :)
>
>Nova became a killer again, at least in act 1 hell. My sorc can wipe
>packs of fallen and their shamen easily, and she's tough enough again
>for the old trick: run in the middle of a the pack and nova them until
>they're gone. But:

I'm still very interested in your RocketSorc experiences because of my FB
sorceress... But I'll tell a bit about her adventures below.

>Lesson #1: never do that with something that isn't stunned by nova!

;)  Yep, if the sun-effect of any spell doesn't kick in, you might be in
trouble.

>Lesson #2: archer boss packs with bad modifiers are deadly if you have
>bad resists!

Definately, and double so if you're dealing with some lag, and a pack (or
their arrows) effectively teleports on top of you...

>Lesson #3: Mixed packs (e.g. lightning immune goat men and fire immune
>fallen) are troublesome, because one type can whack you unhurt while you
>try to fight the other.

Yup!

>Currently the rocket is my favorite character again :)

Great!

>Thanks for all your help and support! Whithout, the rocket would be
>retired and marked as a "hopeless case".

Again, no problem, and happy to have been of help; it's all about enjoying
this wonderful game. ;)

OK, as promised, FeirAndIce's latest adventures:

She has now finished all of NM, including the 5 minion packs of Baal, but
I did not finish of NM Baal yet. Reason being: I'm thinking of doing that
which I rather despise: do some public NM Baal runs, in order to gain a
few quick levels, and it's quite handy for that to have access to the NM
list of games.

She's now lvl60, and has, rather suprisingly, has put no more points in
any skills since about Act 1 NM. The main thing that got her through NM is
actually rather surprising: I think the main reason is her rara sorceress
orb. This is a rather mundane thing with +1 sorc skills, and +2 to
Blizzard, +1 to Thunderstorm and +2 to ES. This means the has a free ES,
but the main thing that helped her in NM was the 'free' Blizzard.

My tactic from about Act 1 NM, until the end of NM has been rather simple:
cast Blizzard anytime I can (every 2 seconds due to it's timed nature).
This deals a bit of damage (100-200 pnts per shard, still something that
hurts most NM monsters), but more importantly, slows down the monsters, so
the merc can hit and kill them. An Insight Partizan is a mighty nice
weapon for NM: low level requirements, dut deals a decent amount of
damage, enough to one-hit kill most monsters in NM, and I only rolled a
205% ED one.

I was hoping NM would drop me a nice ethereal exceptional polearm, so I
could switch to that, but nothing yet, unfortunately. I have at least one
unsocketed ethereal Cryptic Axe on one of my 'socketables' mule, so I
might take a gamble there, and use the cube recipe on that one and hope
for 4. My experiment with Obedience showed it's a nice polearm, but it has
a rather specific use, and is not a polearm I'd use with a sorc,
especially with Insight as the alternative. I am quite sure Hell will be
a _big_ problem with the current setup, so I'll stay in NM a bit longer.

The experience with Blizzard also shows me how powerful a full-size
Blizzard can be; this might be my next project, supported by some gear I
have on the mules, including Snowclash (the unique sorc belt). But that's
something for the future.

So I'll also see what the best supporting spell for a Blizzard sorc is,
but not for this one, because I think I already put too much points in the
fire tree to not concentrate on Fireball as one of my offensive spell of
choice. Blizzard should probably be (heavily) synergized to be workable in
Hell, and I don't have the spare points for that.

Anyway, the FB/??? sorc now is lvl60, has about 35 spare skill points, and
doing some serious power-levelling in NM, lvl 70 should be doable quite
easily, adding another 10 skill points bringing the total reserves to 45.
Enough to either max FO/CM (including the rather hefty prerequisites) or
Nova/LM in one big swoop. Hmmm. Tough decision! :)

She also has about 150 spare attribute points, enough to be able to up her
Str to the level needed to wear a Spirit Monarch. Which I will probably do
in the very near future.

Still, I'll postpone the skill decision a bit longer, until I move to
Hell, which will probably force a decision upon me, because the build will
no longer be viable there. Also, it's fun to see how far I can take this
character with the current skills. I was surprised with how easy it was to
go through Act 5, even the WSK, including the minion packs: the sun effect
from FB combined with the slowdown of Blizzard made it all possible. :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:34:41 PM

Patrick Vervoorn wrote::

> In article <d6s5ul$fqp$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>>

>>>Another thing that surprises me is how many uniques I find when killing
>>>the Countess; not only the weapon- and armour racks drop nice stuff, but
>>>Mrs. Countess herself (or a boss in the same room, hard to see when CLs
>>>are weaving around) dropped a Templar's Might yesterday-evening. No idea
>>>what to do with it though. Also, several other uniques dropped, but I sold
>>>most of them for gold.
>>
>>I wasn't so lucky yet, but I only have 7 runs in hell on my record so
>>far. I don't really 'run' the countess, but clear the tower cellar
>>levels at least partially for exp and item drops, the countess being the
>>final goodie down there :)
>
> Any nice runes there? :)

A Io was the highest so far, most funnily a Sol that dropped yesterday,
after we struggled to get one more Sol on Friday :)

I sometimes also find runes on the path, in black mash a nest of fallen
left a Ort and in the tower cellars I found various low runes from El to
Tal. Nothing too exciting, but a nice place to go item hunting for sure :)

> Glad to hear you're starting to like it. ;)

The difficulty level is just right, one run gives me about 1/6 of a
level currently, and almost every run leaves something strange or
intersting, mostly rares with silly mdo cimbiantions. But it clearly
shows that nice stuff can drop there, and it's only a matter of tiem
until I find things I can immediately use.

Not to mention that I found several resistance charms there :)

>>Your suggestion to use Tal Rashas mask as a helm for the merc was
>>perfect. The 10% life leech help him a lot.
>
> Well, it was just the first helmet-type item I encountered when I started
> to browse through the mules looking for a nice one for your merc. And when
> you then realized you had one of those masks lying around, the conclusion
> was made, and you could fix your merc using your own gear. ;)

Woot! Finally something that I could fix on my own :)

> Anyhow, Tal's Mask has quite a lot going for it for a merc: +life,
> +res-all and LL. The other mods are unfortunaly useless for one, but who
> cares. ;)

He really seems to like it! It definitely gives him a much better chance
to survive in a battle.

>>She finished act 1 this weekend but act 2 turned out to be too dangerous
>> (lots's of magic skeletons and lots of poisoning!) so she went back to
>>act 1 doing more countess walks in order to get experience, runes and
>>hopefully some nice item drops.
>
> Sounds good again, nice to hear you're progressing nicely!

>>We're both level 78 now. Funny thing, the primary driver to level up are
>>now less my own skill improvements but to help my merc :)
>
> :)  I think the RocketSorc can use quite some skill points too, for
> instance to max Nova and/or LM...?

Since quite a while all points go into LM (Nova is maxed) and IIRC only
1 or 2 points are missing to max LM.

>>The Black Hades armor is good, but
>>seriously needs a different socketing. I'm looking for a second Hel,
>>once I find one, I'll correct that.
>
> I'd keep an eye open for a Duriel's Shell; it's a more all-around merc
> armor, and is something that you can probably buy for a few pgems (I'd
> offer a maximum of 3 for a mediocre one)...

Yes, a Duriels shell is always nice, I have one for one of my other mercs.

I'm wondering how defence vs resistances pays off. E.g. the Black Hades
has higher base defense but no resists on it's own - it comes with 3
sockets, so runes or jewels could be used to get some resistances on it.

Lately I tend to think that resistances are much more important than
defence?

> Once you have a lot of Ums, I'd switch to a nice ethereal elite armor with
> Duress in.

That'll be a very exciting moment :)

>>Yes, I found my own pace, and can 'enjoy' hell now. Act 1 almost became
>>easy :)
>>
>>Nova became a killer again, at least in act 1 hell. My sorc can wipe
>>packs of fallen and their shamen easily, and she's tough enough again
>>for the old trick: run in the middle of a the pack and nova them until
>>they're gone. But:
>
> I'm still very interested in your RocketSorc experiences because of my FB
> sorceress... But I'll tell a bit about her adventures below.

[...]

> OK, as promised, FeirAndIce's latest adventures:
>
> She has now finished all of NM, including the 5 minion packs of Baal, but
> I did not finish of NM Baal yet. Reason being: I'm thinking of doing that
> which I rather despise: do some public NM Baal runs, in order to gain a
> few quick levels, and it's quite handy for that to have access to the NM
> list of games.

It also works if you open a baal run, at least most of the time. Lately
I had a lot of luck with that, open a game, go down clearing wsk and
once other players join hurry down to the thrown room and give them a
TP. Or invite them to walk with you - it seems a lot of players changed
their minds and join, while not so long ago all I got was "sorc tele".

If you join runs, look who is in there already. Some runs turn into
disasters if the wrong characters are there. High level sorcs, paladins,
assassins and necromancers are safe bets for a successful run.

> She's now lvl60, and has, rather suprisingly, has put no more points in
> any skills since about Act 1 NM. The main thing that got her through NM is
> actually rather surprising: I think the main reason is her rara sorceress
> orb. This is a rather mundane thing with +1 sorc skills, and +2 to
> Blizzard, +1 to Thunderstorm and +2 to ES. This means the has a free ES,
> but the main thing that helped her in NM was the 'free' Blizzard.

Interesting :)

During NM most of the skill points went into nova and LM so the fire
ball didn't grow much, but I wasn't so happy end of nightamre and felt
rather weak.

Blizzard really seems to be very powerful, I never tried it by myself,
but I got this impression while teaming with blizzard sorceresses.

> My tactic from about Act 1 NM, until the end of NM has been rather simple:
> cast Blizzard anytime I can (every 2 seconds due to it's timed nature).
> This deals a bit of damage (100-200 pnts per shard, still something that
> hurts most NM monsters), but more importantly, slows down the monsters, so
> the merc can hit and kill them.

Blizzard slows way better than FO, but I noticed that glacial spike seem
to have the most chill, it can freeze monsters completely?

> An Insight Partizan is a mighty nice
> weapon for NM: low level requirements, dut deals a decent amount of
> damage, enough to one-hit kill most monsters in NM, and I only rolled a
> 205% ED one.

It's still very nice in early hell.

> I was hoping NM would drop me a nice ethereal exceptional polearm, so I
> could switch to that, but nothing yet, unfortunately.

I never found one in NM. The first one I got from you, and the partizan
that he's currently using I found in hell. Maybe they can drop in NM,
but it seesm to happen very rarely.

> The experience with Blizzard also shows me how powerful a full-size
> Blizzard can be; this might be my next project, supported by some gear I
> have on the mules, including Snowclash (the unique sorc belt). But that's
> something for the future.

Snowclash fits perfectly to this build. Blizzard is the strongest cold
spell, I'm sure, so I see a lot of potential in this idea.

I just can't stand the looks and sound of Blizzard, but admittely FO is
getting on my nerves, too. Fire wall is very relaxed, a slight, soft
whooshhhh and it's done :)

> So I'll also see what the best supporting spell for a Blizzard sorc is,
> but not for this one, because I think I already put too much points in the
> fire tree to not concentrate on Fireball as one of my offensive spell of
> choice. Blizzard should probably be (heavily) synergized to be workable in
> Hell, and I don't have the spare points for that.

Although it looks odd at first, I think nova and blizzard could go
together well. Nova only takes 40 points to max out, and this leaves a
lot of points to get a real strong blizzard.

Fire wall and meteor are by the nature to similar to bliztard, not
really filling the gaps that Blizzard leaves.

> Anyway, the FB/??? sorc now is lvl60, has about 35 spare skill points, and
> doing some serious power-levelling in NM, lvl 70 should be doable quite
> easily, adding another 10 skill points bringing the total reserves to 45.
> Enough to either max FO/CM (including the rather hefty prerequisites) or
> Nova/LM in one big swoop. Hmmm. Tough decision! :)

IMHO:

FO/CM will be the cookie cutter for sure (except countess :)  )

Nova/LM will provide a new experiecnce if you never used it before and
it can be strong enough, given your equipment, nova will be strong
enough for sure. But you must learn how to use it, and most likely
accept some very frustrating moments when nova just doesn't cut
anything. It's also fairly short ranged, almost a melee attack - you'll
be in danger all the time. Either you build your sorc as a tank (if
that's possible?) or one wrong move means death.

> She also has about 150 spare attribute points, enough to be able to up her
> Str to the level needed to wear a Spirit Monarch. Which I will probably do
> in the very near future.

I'd like to try a dual-spirit build, sword and shield. It's weaker than
the unique orbs, and probably just a crazy idea but sooner or later I'll
get the stuff needed for it and try that!

> Still, I'll postpone the skill decision a bit longer, until I move to
> Hell, which will probably force a decision upon me, because the build will
> no longer be viable there. Also, it's fun to see how far I can take this
> character with the current skills. I was surprised with how easy it was to
> go through Act 5, even the WSK, including the minion packs: the sun effect
> from FB combined with the slowdown of Blizzard made it all possible. :)

Interesting. I had the impression Listor laughs about my fire balls
despite the 2k damage each should deal. But Listor is strange anyways,
some times he is ultra strong other times he falls quickly. There seems
to be random elements that are not listed on the screen. Or it's just
me, I don't know.

--
c.u. Hajo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

In article <d6spm8$k7b$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> Any nice runes there? :)
>
>A Io was the highest so far, most funnily a Sol that dropped yesterday,
>after we struggled to get one more Sol on Friday :)

Not bad! So you now have some spare Sols for Insight/Lore!

>I sometimes also find runes on the path, in black mash a nest of fallen
>left a Ort and in the tower cellars I found various low runes from El to
>Tal. Nothing too exciting, but a nice place to go item hunting for sure :)

That's my experience with 'clearing runs' of any area also: you almost
surely get a few (low) runes during a clear of The Pit, etc. Nice bonus of
course. Really rich players just leave them where they are, but a packrat
like me picks up any rune and any type of gem. :)

>> Well, it was just the first helmet-type item I encountered when I started
>> to browse through the mules looking for a nice one for your merc. And when
>> you then realized you had one of those masks lying around, the conclusion
>> was made, and you could fix your merc using your own gear. ;)
>
>Woot! Finally something that I could fix on my own :)

Since you don't like the look of a sorceress wearing one, this is the next
best thing you can do with it. ;)

However, once the merc is more high level, and his resistances are high on
his own, and he also has a load of life (2000+), I think Tal's Mask is a
bit on the weak side. A nice mid-game merc helmet for sure, but if I were
you I'd also check something like Guillaume's Face (no LL unfortunately,
but can probably be gotten quite cheap), or Vampire Gaze (expensive, but
nice), or Andariel's Visage (quite expensive probably) are very nice merc
helmets.

>> :)  I think the RocketSorc can use quite some skill points too, for
>> instance to max Nova and/or LM...?
>
>Since quite a while all points go into LM (Nova is maxed) and IIRC only
>1 or 2 points are missing to max LM.

Ah, so you're almost there! Now all you need is some nice +skills gear! :)
*ahem* (Sorry :) )

>> I'd keep an eye open for a Duriel's Shell; it's a more all-around merc
>> armor, and is something that you can probably buy for a few pgems (I'd
>> offer a maximum of 3 for a mediocre one)...
>
>Yes, a Duriels shell is always nice, I have one for one of my other mercs.
>
>I'm wondering how defence vs resistances pays off. E.g. the Black Hades
>has higher base defense but no resists on it's own - it comes with 3
>sockets, so runes or jewels could be used to get some resistances on it.

I think putting Ums (or nice resistance jewels, which are also quite
valuable) is a bit on the expensive side, but Ral/Ort/Tal might be a valid
way to add some key resists yes...

>Lately I tend to think that resistances are much more important than
>defence?

They are quite important if they are low. However, an Act 2 merc gets
added res-all of himself when levelling up, and around level 80+, he
doesn't need that much gear-based resists to get (close to) maxed resists
in Hell anyway. I think it's explained somewhere on the Arreat Summit, so
you can see for yourself at which level the merc no longer needs the
res-all of Tal's Mask to reach max resists. Luckily, the nice merc armors
provide this on their own, so that leaves the opions on the helmet a bit
open.

You could also try to put that +15 to max res-all Paladin armor on a merc,
see how he does with that. :)

[snip, will see if I can keep myself from killing NM Baal.. :) ]

>Interesting :)
>
>During NM most of the skill points went into nova and LM so the fire
>ball didn't grow much, but I wasn't so happy end of nightamre and felt
>rather weak.
>
>Blizzard really seems to be very powerful, I never tried it by myself,
>but I got this impression while teaming with blizzard sorceresses.

It also amazed me how powerful Blizzard is. This rare orb was also used by
my previous sorc (she even self-found it), but she swapped it out halfway
NM, because I found something else/better (I think I equipped her with a
Wizard Spike), and used CL/FO to go through NM.

But now that I see Blizzard also slowing everything to a crawl in NM
WSK... Wow.

So that's another thing to test.

I'm also keeping an eye open for a magical, or rare, orb which has +2
skills, +3 blizzard, and some +skills to two other nice spells. ES would
be nice, to save some points in the early career of the sorc, and perhaps
another supporting one-point wonder.

>Blizzard slows way better than FO, but I noticed that glacial spike seem
>to have the most chill, it can freeze monsters completely?

Yeah, Glacial Spike freezes monsters (see the skill description). But I'm
not sure how a Glacial Spike sorceress would fare. Also, freeze times are
further lowered in Hell, so I have no idea how long the freezing effect of
a fully synergized (if it has any ;)  Glacial Spike would last there.

>> I was hoping NM would drop me a nice ethereal exceptional polearm, so I
>> could switch to that, but nothing yet, unfortunately.
>
>I never found one in NM. The first one I got from you, and the partizan
>that he's currently using I found in hell. Maybe they can drop in NM,
>but it seesm to happen very rarely.

I've found plenty of exceptional polearms, including Partizans during my
adventuring in NM, but none were ethereal and/or had 4 sockets. :(

I think I really, really need a good ethereal one, with a nice Insight in
it, to get through Hell. ;)  But a polearm like that regularly sells for
2-3 Ists, and I'm not going to pay that for one.

>> The experience with Blizzard also shows me how powerful a full-size
>> Blizzard can be; this might be my next project, supported by some gear I
>> have on the mules, including Snowclash (the unique sorc belt). But that's
>> something for the future.
>
>Snowclash fits perfectly to this build. Blizzard is the strongest cold
>spell, I'm sure, so I see a lot of potential in this idea.
>
>I just can't stand the looks and sound of Blizzard, but admittely FO is
>getting on my nerves, too. Fire wall is very relaxed, a slight, soft
>whooshhhh and it's done :)

*hahaha* Well, since I'm also playing a sorc wearing the Full Tal set,
aesthetics, looks and sound aren't very high on my priority list. ;)

Also, when I no longer hear the sound of Blizzard I get a bit nervous:
this means I forgot to recast hit, and monsters are moving at their own
speed again. Not good! So I already have a bit of training for a Blizzard!

>Although it looks odd at first, I think nova and blizzard could go
>together well. Nova only takes 40 points to max out, and this leaves a
>lot of points to get a real strong blizzard.
>
>Fire wall and meteor are by the nature to similar to bliztard, not
>really filling the gaps that Blizzard leaves.

It might work indeed: use Blizzard, cast on top of yourself, to provide a
showering screen of icy death, and Nova the monsters which get too close
to death. However, I foresee some problems, part of which also explain my
current careful approach to yes/no making a RocketSorc:

First, Blizzard is a timered spell, so regardless of FCR, you can only
cast it periodically (every 2 seconds IIRC?). So you can trade in some FCR
mods on your gear, for mods you need more, for safety, whatever. Also,
Blizzard is rather cheap on the mana, while Nova burns it like crazy. So
for Blizzard only, you don't need a huge mana pool, which means more
points available for Str/Dex (maxed block perhaps?), or plain old vit. So
they don't match that good equipment-wise.

Secondly, a Blizzard/Nova sorc has a big problem with dual Cold/Lightning
immunes: no backup spell, nothing slows them down, and the merc has to
deal with 'em. Not good. On the other hand, my FO/CL sorc also did quite
nicely in Hell, so it's not as big of a problem as I probably think.

But perhaps Fire Wall or maybe Meteor (depends on how much Meteor's damage
is influenced by it's synergies, and how necessary it is to put points in
it's synergies) is a better choice, with the mandatory Static Field for
dual immunes to cold/fire.

We'll see. :)  A powerful Blizzard should last a Blizzard sorc well into
NM, with the merc to finish off any immunes, so I can also decide much
later which supporting skill to use. I'll also browse around a bit for
possible Blizzard sorc builds.

But not now! I'm still too busy with the chars I'm currently playing! :)

I should also not neglect my Zealot too much; he has had much too little
playing time this weekend...

>IMHO:
>
>FO/CM will be the cookie cutter for sure (except countess :)  )

Yup, and I've practised plenty of times with FO, so even if I put in the
points now, it wouldn't add anything I haven't experienced before. ;)

Which mostly the reason I why I haven't done this yet, though that was the
plan from the outset (see her name ;) .

>Nova/LM will provide a new experiecnce if you never used it before and
>it can be strong enough, given your equipment, nova will be strong
>enough for sure. But you must learn how to use it, and most likely
>accept some very frustrating moments when nova just doesn't cut
>anything. It's also fairly short ranged, almost a melee attack - you'll
>be in danger all the time. Either you build your sorc as a tank (if
>that's possible?) or one wrong move means death.

Yup, well, I saved the original RocketSorc description, including the
equipment, so I can recreate that pretty much as is. Like I said, the game
will determine _when_ I decide what to do, after that, I will only have to
decide _what_ to do. :)

>> She also has about 150 spare attribute points, enough to be able to up her
>> Str to the level needed to wear a Spirit Monarch. Which I will probably do
>> in the very near future.
>
>I'd like to try a dual-spirit build, sword and shield. It's weaker than
>the unique orbs, and probably just a crazy idea but sooner or later I'll
>get the stuff needed for it and try that!

You'll get a lot of mana, skills and a nice amount of FCR, but keep in
mind the resistances on the shield will not appear on the weapon: it will
have the rather useless elemental damages from those same runes. This is
why you see a Spirit weapon less than the shield...

Which is too bad really. but then again, what'd you expect from such a
cheap runeword? :)  It would have been rather overpowered if it used only 3
runes.

>> character with the current skills. I was surprised with how easy it was to
>> go through Act 5, even the WSK, including the minion packs: the sun effect
>> from FB combined with the slowdown of Blizzard made it all possible. :)
>
>Interesting. I had the impression Listor laughs about my fire balls
>despite the 2k damage each should deal. But Listor is strange anyways,
>some times he is ultra strong other times he falls quickly. There seems
>to be random elements that are not listed on the screen. Or it's just
>me, I don't know.

No, now that I read your reply I realized I left that detail out, my
apologies: the 5th, and final, minion pack, headed by Lister is indeed
different: it cannot be stunned, and also seems to pay little attention to
Blizzard. That was indeed the toughest pack, but by some frantic
teleporting acrobatics, I could lure 1 or 2 minions away, and in such a
small group, they were easily killed by the Blizzard/FB/Merc. I suppose a
fully synergized Blizzard, several running at the same time at the spot
they appear, could probably kill them almost instantaneously. ;)

Something to try with Miss Blizzard to-be! :)

Regards,

Patrick.
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 11:48:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.diablo,alt.games.diablo2 (More info?)

Long ago, in the world without shrimp, Hansjoerg Malthaner
<hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de>, supreme ruler of bunnies, hopped and
flopped and said:

>Patrick Vervoorn wrote::
>
>> In article <d6k6sm$1nr$1@domitilla.aioe.org>,
>> Hansjoerg Malthaner <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:
>
>> Another thing that surprises me is how many uniques I find when killing
>> the Countess; not only the weapon- and armour racks drop nice stuff, but
>> Mrs. Countess herself (or a boss in the same room, hard to see when CLs
>> are weaving around) dropped a Templar's Might yesterday-evening. No idea
>> what to do with it though. Also, several other uniques dropped, but I sold
>> most of them for gold.
>
>I wasn't so lucky yet, but I only have 7 runs in hell on my record so
>far. I don't really 'run' the countess, but clear the tower cellar
>levels at least partially for exp and item drops, the countess being the
>final goodie down there :)

I've had very little luck getting uniques out of the countess, but she's been
kind recently in runes, coughing up a pul, and ist, and I also got a lo rune
out of a boss pack that I decided to kill one game on level 2 or 3 instead of
teleporting right past. It sort of makes me wonder what else I'd find if I
actually more stuff during the trip down.

>Your suggestion to use Tal Rashas mask as a helm for the merc was
>perfect. The 10% life leech help him a lot.

It's a goodie. Another one I quite like is a crown of thieves.

>Now fire, light and cold resists are close to 0 (sounds terrible, but
>it's an improvement!), only poison is still at -30.

Yikes! It still sounds a bit grim. What gear is she using?

>Tal Rashas mask helps him a lot, the Black Hades armor is good, but
>seriously needs a different socketing. I'm looking for a second Hel,
>once I find one, I'll correct that.

Duriel's Shell is another classic mercenary armour, if you can get hold of one
(it's something that mephisto in nightmare difficulty will drop reasonably
frequently if you farm him).

>> Just keep on questing; good resistance charms are quite rare, and
>> therefore quite valuable. Be happy with about any 'Shimmering' Charm of
>> any type that drops, and if you find Small Charms with 10 or 11% resist to
>> one element, or Grand Charms with 27+% resist to one element, rejoice! :)

>Currently I'm happy about almost any charm that gives resistences, but
>actually in hell they drop more often than in nightmare, so it's getting
>better.

The council in travincal are a good source of charms (in particular, ones to
reroll for +skills), so if you don't mind a little farming, that's one option.

--
If in doubt, hit with axe.
!