Kerry

Hi

I have two log ons at the moment, one is "administrator", which is password
protected and the other is "guest". I have all the access on administrator
but I don't want the guest to be able access programmes like "Outlook
Express" as I would rather they use a browser based e-mail service. The
version is Windows XP Media Centre 2005 and it tells me I can do this but I
can't find where.

Anybody point me in the right direction? (Please)

Gordon

Kerry wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have two log ons at the moment, one is "administrator", which is password
> protected and the other is "guest". I have all the access on administrator
> but I don't want the guest to be able access programmes like "Outlook
> Express" as I would rather they use a browser based e-mail service. The
> version is Windows XP Media Centre 2005 and it tells me I can do this but I
> can't find where.
>
> Anybody point me in the right direction? (Please)

Firstly, if you are using the Built-in Administrator account, DON'T!
Create a new account with Admin rights, password-protect it and leave
the built-in administrator account for emergency use.

Secondly, don't use the Guest account! Create a limited user account in
which you can disable access to OE easily. The guest account is so
hedged round with restrictions as to make it almost useless for normal
use. In fact it's real purpose is to facilitate peer-to-peer networking
in Home Edition.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Kerry

Hello Gordon

thanks for the reply.

I had done what you suggested before but then I realised I could log on as
this new account and I could actually change the settings back to see Outlook
Express again as long as I knew where to look, which is Start/Set Programme
Access and Defaults.

I have set up the new account and hope that the users level of knowledge is
less than mine!!!

Thanks again

"Gordon" wrote:

> Kerry wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have two log ons at the moment, one is "administrator", which is password
> > protected and the other is "guest". I have all the access on administrator
> > but I don't want the guest to be able access programmes like "Outlook
> > Express" as I would rather they use a browser based e-mail service. The
> > version is Windows XP Media Centre 2005 and it tells me I can do this but I
> > can't find where.
> >
> > Anybody point me in the right direction? (Please)
>
> Firstly, if you are using the Built-in Administrator account, DON'T!
> Create a new account with Admin rights, password-protect it and leave
> the built-in administrator account for emergency use.
>
> Secondly, don't use the Guest account! Create a limited user account in
> which you can disable access to OE easily. The guest account is so
> hedged round with restrictions as to make it almost useless for normal
> use. In fact it's real purpose is to facilitate peer-to-peer networking
> in Home Edition.
>
> --
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Director
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Well, since you have what is very similar to pro version, you can makes changes as you please. Gordon makes a good point about the "Guest' account, but his concern mainly applies to the Home version, not Pro versions.

If you personally do not use OE,, then you can do two things, the second being the easiest.

1. Open Group Policy Editor by typing (no quotes) "gpedit.msc" then browse to Computer Config\Security Settings\Software Restriction Policies\Additional rules

Right click in a blank area of the main screen, choose "New Path rule", then click the browse button, and then browse to the file "C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" then make is "Disallowed" apply and OK out. Keep in mind, this is affects all accounts.

OR:

2. Simply rename the file in the above to msimn.exe to e.g. msimn.ex (removing a letter), and click OK. this will simply stop the program from running since it is no longer valid (an error will popup saying cannot find blah blah). The guest, or limited user cannot (by default in pro type versions) change the name back. If you need it, properly rename the file again for use.

"Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F40AA372-2FAB-4260-8567-1AD069973EA9@microsoft.com...
> Hello Gordon
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> I had done what you suggested before but then I realised I could log on as
> this new account and I could actually change the settings back to see Outlook
> Express again as long as I knew where to look, which is Start/Set Programme
> Access and Defaults.
>
> I have set up the new account and hope that the users level of knowledge is
> less than mine!!!
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> Kerry wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have two log ons at the moment, one is "administrator", which is password
>> > protected and the other is "guest". I have all the access on administrator
>> > but I don't want the guest to be able access programmes like "Outlook
>> > Express" as I would rather they use a browser based e-mail service. The
>> > version is Windows XP Media Centre 2005 and it tells me I can do this but I
>> > can't find where.
>> >
>> > Anybody point me in the right direction? (Please)
>>
>> Firstly, if you are using the Built-in Administrator account, DON'T!
>> Create a new account with Admin rights, password-protect it and leave
>> the built-in administrator account for emergency use.
>>
>> Secondly, don't use the Guest account! Create a limited user account in
>> which you can disable access to OE easily. The guest account is so
>> hedged round with restrictions as to make it almost useless for normal
>> use. In fact it's real purpose is to facilitate peer-to-peer networking
>> in Home Edition.
>>
>> --
>> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
>> Gordon Burgess-Parker
>> Director
>> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Kerry,
How many people have access to your computer?
Fro your 2 logon options, does one say 'Administrator? Did you set up your
own 'user account' when you set up Windows?
If not, then set up your own user account with admin. rights from that
"Administrator account" Once you do, you will no longer see that as an
option when you log in, that is the Built-in Admin. account and is only
visible when logging in if no other "User" account w/ admin. rights has been
set up.

If it's just you, then you can safely disable the guest account, which is
not the same things as removing it.
The guest account serves no real purpose if your are the only one using your
computer.
From your user account that has administrator rights, go to control
panel>user accounts, and disable the guest account. This will prevent it
from being a logon option. The guest account is a necessary part of your OS
and should not be removed/deleted, but you don't need it enabled nor do you
need to use it as a safe guard fro virus attacks, or any thing else. You
user account with administrator rights is perfectly safe as long as you use
an anti virus, firewall, and a few other programs that I and zillions of
others use, Ad-Aware SE. Spybot Search and Destroy, and Spyware Guard to
name a few.
You can get freeware version of these at this,
http://majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
site. Index is on the left.

The guest account can be used for you children, if you have them, or for
guests, or anyone else that can use your computer that you don't want making
potentially dangerous changes.
Here, click on this link,

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx

which will show you an article that describes the account types and their
limitations.
You also have a built-in Administrator account which can be accessed in Safe
Mode. This account is hidden by default because if your computer has issues
that prevent you from logging in under your normal user accounts, then you
have a 'back door' way to get in to your system, and the only users that can
access that account are those with administrator rights.

Now, as far as Out Look Express,
If you have Internet Explorer, you have Out Look Express.
If you don't see the icon for it on your desktop, or your All Programs list,
click Start>run> look for files and folders and type Out Look Express in
both fields.