2009's most anticipated PC games

Shloeb

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Many people have said that PC gaming is dead. But i say its far from dead. I have compiled the list of all the PC games that are going to be released this year. This year is gonna be a blast.
Here's my Lens (or blog, whatever u call it) about PC games
http://www.squidoo.com/2009pcgames

If possible please comment on the lens too.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Many people say PC gaming is dead... but they're the ones that concentrate on console magazines. PC gaming is alive and kicking, and isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Diablo III and Starcraft 2 are among my most anticipated games of 2009, with Majesty 2 coming pretty high on my own list.

Also, I find it absolutely hilarous that all the action games have female protagonists.

Godfather 2 better live up to how awesome the first one was, Overlord 2 better be considerably more fun than the first one, and Sims 3 can curl up in a corner with a teddy bear soaked in a very concentrated acid and die.

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Battlefield 1943 - Battlefield Heroes - Empire Total War (any day :)) - Left4Dead Extra Content - Did I hear rumours bout a Bioshock2?
Duke Nukem? Lol we will still be waiting for that when im old and grey!

Shloeb

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Can't say. They might get delayed or may release at the correct date. It depends.
Mine personal favorite is Diablo 3 and Empire:Total War

jones911

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Most anticipated games of 2009 for me:
Bioshock 2
Prototype
Jumpgate Evolution
Starcraft 2
Star Trek Online
Dragon Age Origins
Mass Effect 2 (I doubt it will be ready in 2009 plus I might get it for the 360.)

I haven't decided about Diablo 3, for some reason I never got into that series.

Shloeb

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
I don't think mass effect gonna come this year. It will come next year most probably and seriously crazy abt bioshock 2. I can't wait.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

I disagree, I game on all platforms, PS2/3, XBOX 360, Wii, DS, (not PSP) and PC. PC is by far my main platform, but its on a lifeline, without WoW the user base of PC is cut significantly, which is already significantly smaller than the console market. With that said, if the console market does come up with WoW killer than that will remove a good number of people from the PC gaming market all together.

I just bought DoW2 and its a pretty good game, its online play is buggy (from match making to balance to exploits) right now and the fact that it interfaces with steam and games for windows live seems to cause problems.

Who knows with D3 and SC2 are coming though.

Shloeb

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
But pc gaming is not dead. But its surely suffering thats for sure. But with developers still going for pcs shows that pc gaming won't go boom anytime soon. Proof is Resident Evil 5 which is also coming on pc. and why u can say only WOW is keeping pc gaming alive. There are a whole lot of strategy games that are only best enjoyed on pc. Lets c empire:total war running on pc and FPSes are also best enjoyed on keyboard mouse combo.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Because WoW consists of over $2 billion in revenue each year. I wouldn't be suprised if that wasn't at least a third, if not a half, of all revenue generated in PC market. Its not the only reason PC gaming is still alive but its the by far the biggest.

FPS maybe best enjoyed by you on keyboard and mouse but there are people who think the experience is best had on their couch running on their 360. In addition console FPS sell more than the PC equivalent by a huge margin. Make no mistake, the FPS is no longer king on PC, developers make their FPS games with the console market as their primary and the PC market secondary.

The two genre of games that the console really can't compete with is the Strategy games and MMOs. The strategy market is one of the smallest markets out there. I can't really think of genre that I could say its larger than. So, while strategy games are great (I play a lot of RTS, Supreme Commander, Dawn of War 2 and Company of Heroes) and they can really only be enjoyed on the PC, they appeal to small percentage of the overall market.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I've recently been extremely pleased to find that PC gaming is hardly dieing or even really suffering. And it's called indie gaming. The great thing about PCs is that everybody has one and there's always plenty of people out there willing to make games for them. I'd just assume let some of these over-bloated publishers move away from the platform and allow more room for these great independent developers to put out great games without the filter of the mainstream gaming industry. Over course once a developer starts putting out great titles on their own they will inevitably be bought up by bigger companies, so it's and endless cycle. But there's always going to be great games for the PC, always.

usla

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009

make a good complicated game for online play only open your own servers as a company and get payed , in time you will reach blizzard. Now look at guild wars (much better graphics) or linage 2 or Age of Conan , you bought the game u play online whit no extra cash spent.

There are more PC's in the world then consoles they just make games first for them cause the own the consoles look at Xbox360 or maybe cause they wanna persuade ppl that are waiting for a game on pc in buying a console even if they own a pc and wanna play the game badly. Its all about the money but in the end a game played on PC is much better then a console. sorry for bad english

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

I agree, in general (sports games and console ports excluded), PC games are better than their console equivalents and PC games are able to deliver games that bring an experiences like WoW, Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2 that the console market can't match.

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

I tried explaining to my friends that FPS were meant to be played on keyboard/mouse. They have never gamed on a PC. They told me that I was stupid and that if they could play using their 360 controller vs. me on keyboard/mouse that they would win. Yes, they really said that. I had to get up and leave the room, lol. I'm starting to think that its not only them either, I think a large part of the population thinks that FPS on console is the way its meant to be played. They all seem to think shooters started with HALO, hahaha.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

While I do believe a mouse and keyboard will give the player more precise control than a gamepad, I don't necessarily agree that a mouse and keyboard provides the best experience for all FPS. There a lot of people have gaming PCs but play single player FPSs on their console rather than on their PC, why? Because they have home theatre and its more relaxing and social to play on a couch. Not to mention the console experience is more streamlined, no system requirements worries, no configurations for optimal performance, no technical problems to tackle and sometimes no installs (install games on my PS3 annoyes the hell out of me). With that said, I personally won't play a FPS on a console online if its on both platforms.

For most people it did. There is a large number of people who never had a gaming PC, nor care to. The cost of building a gaming PC is going to be a lot more expensive than console.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Been using a mouse and keyboard since I can remeber games supporting it and have no problems gaming on a controller. I would not say I could beat out a KB\M user, but I would be willing to play a game with both control sets being used.

What I don't like, is elitist PC gamers that mock the console FPS player (not pointing fingers). Yeah we get it, but we're having fun and the playing field is even in terms of controls. Once you tame your thumb to not move so much and crank the sensitivity, I find the 360 controller quite enjoyable.

Besides, the poor kid with an old ball mouse on his mom's PC vs. Mr. $150 laser mouse with adjustable dpi probably doesn't feel things are going so well.

I would be willing to bet money that a seasoned controller vet could at least provide competition to a KB\M user. Too bad there are no cross platform games worth testing this on.

On topic :

Can't wait for some of these games now that I have a new PC. BF1943, I didn't even know that was coming!!! Good lord I can't wait to play that on my... PC. Bioshock 2, L4D content, I think those will be plenty fun on 360. RTS = nothing but PC for me (although halo wars did a good job on console, if I had no PC and actually thought the game had legs, I would consider it for console).

mcmonsterkill

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

I've played both. I can win DM games of Unreal Tournament 3 on xbox live 50% of the time. I get your guys' arguments that If everyone is on an even playing field that its OK to play on a controller, but there's just no way you can run around headshotting people with a sniper rifle using a controller. That fine amount of aiming is what allows the game to be more fun, IMO. And people who just play on a controller never realize that. Plus you ever try the dodge moves with the joystick in Unreal 3 on xbox. After about 5 DM games I have to quit because my hand gets cramped and I can't dodge anymore. That's all I was trying to say, though I could have chosen a better way to say it.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Plenty of headshots going on in 360 games. And I hate to say it, but comfort of the controller vs. a cramped up hand on a keyboard makes games more fun for me.

Still, I use both, like both and just don't understand the hate (once again, no finger pointing) of controllers in FPS games.

MykC

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Make no mistake, the best person with a controller can't compete with the best person on a mouse when it comes it quickness and precision.

techdeuce

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
looking forward to Darkfall, now in beta and any of the online FPS games on the pc side. I still play CS 1.6 and BF2 online everyday. nothing has got me going as much as they have. And for the console FPS naysayers, there is a product coming out called mobi. that is a wireless mouse and movement controller for the ps3. Read about it here http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/27/mlani-introduces-new-fps-controller-for-ps3/ so now you dont have to give up your mouse. PEACE!

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Captain obvious, is that you?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
yea, the weird thing is, if most of you PC FPS players go keyboard/mouse, i'm the odd one.

I prefer to use controllers, especially the Xbox 360 wired, or the good Logitech PS2 knock-off. I use Xpadder, which is a keyboard emulator for controllers, which means i can play almost any games, even those games with no gamepad support.

But then again, that's me. Say all you want about accuracy and such, i don't want to be cramped over the keyboard.