dll's

what does error message "cannot find shell.dll" mean?
6 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Jandy,
    It means the application you are trying to run cannot find the
    shell.dll application extension for it. Somehow or other that dll got
    eliminated.
    TonySper

    "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    what does error message "cannot find shell.dll" mean?

    Hi,

    It means the file is either missing or damaged. You should find it in the
    C:\Windows\system32 directory. Even if it's there, you may want to replace
    it with a backup from the dllcache folder.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > what does error message "cannot find shell.dll" mean?

    where do I find the dllcache folder

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > It means the file is either missing or damaged. You should find it in the
    > C:\Windows\system32 directory. Even if it's there, you may want to replace
    > it with a backup from the dllcache folder.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > what does error message "cannot find shell.dll" mean?

    C:\Windows\system32\dllcache - this is the folder used for system file
    protection, it contains a backup of the original file to be used in case of
    deletion or corruption.

    --

    > where do I find the dllcache folder
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It means the file is either missing or damaged. You should find it in the
    >> C:\Windows\system32 directory. Even if it's there, you may want to
    >> replace
    >> it with a backup from the dllcache folder.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > what does error message "cannot find shell.dll" mean?

    how do I get to that folder how do I reinstall shell.dll

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > C:\Windows\system32\dllcache - this is the folder used for system file
    > protection, it contains a backup of the original file to be used in case of
    > deletion or corruption.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > where do I find the dllcache folder
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> It means the file is either missing or damaged. You should find it in the
    > >> C:\Windows\system32 directory. Even if it's there, you may want to
    > >> replace
    > >> it with a backup from the dllcache folder.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab, set the options
    so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

    Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
    Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
    Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

    I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
    types". Then, double-click "My Computer", "C:\",Windows,System32, and then
    dllcache. Locate shell.dll, right-click it and select copy. Then go up one
    folder level to get back to the system32 folder. Click edit/paste and agree
    to the warning about overwriting an existing file.

    Or, click start/run and type cmd. From the prompt, run:

    copy C:\Windows\system32\dllcache\shell.dll C:\Windows\system32

    --

    > how do I get to that folder how do I reinstall shell.dll
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> C:\Windows\system32\dllcache - this is the folder used for system file
    >> protection, it contains a backup of the original file to be used in case
    >> of
    >> deletion or corruption.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "jandy" <jandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > where do I find the dllcache folder

Shell Microsoft Error Message DLL Windows XP