#MIN still not working in some areas

I live in the DC/Baltimore area (SID 18) and have used #MIN (#646) to
check my minutes and have been for quite a while.

I guess its not totally implemented in the VZW system, as we know that
VZW is a combination of a number of networks thrown together, and over
time they're being integrated into one network. We know that billing
systems are being migrated into one system as time goes on.

I figured that Detroit (SID 21) was one of those areas that had
migrated to a new system. They have not yet. Dialing #MIN gives you a
recording stating that the kind of call I was trying to make was not
allowed. Yet when I came back to DC, #646 worked as usual.

Birmingham, AL did not have #MIN implemented in fall 2002, but did
when I went there in early 2004.

Dialing *611 or 611, then pressing 1 and then 2 will do the same thing
and give it verbally, but I've gotten used to the text message on
#MIN.

I wonder if anyone else knows where else in the country that #MIN is
not yet in use? Stan? Steve? Bill? Others? :)

Dave

Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I live in the DC/Baltimore area (SID 18) and have used #MIN (#646) to
> check my minutes and have been for quite a while.
>
> I guess its not totally implemented in the VZW system, as we know that
> VZW is a combination of a number of networks thrown together, and over
> time they're being integrated into one network. We know that billing
> systems are being migrated into one system as time goes on.
>
> I figured that Detroit (SID 21) was one of those areas that had
> migrated to a new system. They have not yet. Dialing #MIN gives you a
> recording stating that the kind of call I was trying to make was not
> allowed. Yet when I came back to DC, #646 worked as usual.

Then something broke, because #646 worked fine for me in Cleveland (also
SID 21) before I moved last year.

Andrew

I wouldn't rely on #MIN to give you an accurate reading of minutes. I
know they have a disclaimer saying it's just an estimate, but last
month I found how how true that was. I was out of town and had used
my phone in-network (I have America's choice) and had been keeping
track of my minutes with #MIN. The day after I got back, I made a
10-minute call, then checked my minutes shortly thereafter. It said I
had used 389 peak minutes. I didn't use the phone again that day,
knowing how close I was to my 400 allotment. The next day, I happened
to check it again, and now it said 451 minutes!! It obviously took
more than 24 hours for calls I made while I was traveling to be
counted. I never would have used the phone as much had I had an
accurate account of my minutes.

Anyway, I'll never trust #MIN again. Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice...

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----

On 18 Jun 2004 01:19:52 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew)
wrote:

>Anyway, I'll never trust #MIN again. Fool me once, shame on you.
>Fool me twice...

I've found if I make my calls within my home SID, #MIN is pretty darn
accurate is updates almost instantly.

Outside my home SID (and expecially when I'm on Extended Network), it
may take up to a week for it to get updated.

At least VZW says its ESTIMATED, covering their hide :).

Dave

Andrew

: wrote:

: >Anyway, I'll never trust #MIN again. Fool me once, shame on you.
: >Fool me twice...

: I've found if I make my calls within my home SID, #MIN is pretty darn
: accurate is updates almost instantly.

: Outside my home SID (and expecially when I'm on Extended Network), it
: may take up to a week for it to get updated.

Yeah, and since I use my cell phone the most when I travel (as my home
phone is not particularly handy), #MIN is most important to me when I
travel. (Having the America's Choice plan and all.) When not
traveling, I usually don't have to worry about using up all my
minutes. So, having a few days delay in #MIN makes it pretty
worthless to me.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----