I purchased and installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro.
I have recived no notice to activate.when i click Start/Accesories/System
Tools
there is no listing for "activate windows xp" do I need to activate and/or
register
my windows xp? If so how?

"squirej" <squirej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I purchased and installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro.
>I have recived no notice to activate.when i click Start/Accesories/System
>Tools
>there is no listing for "activate windows xp" do I need to activate and/or
>register
>my windows xp? If so how?

If you are not received regular popups from the System Tray advising
you that you have X days left to activate Windows then there is
probably no need for concern.

To be doubly certain use Start - Run and enter

%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

to determine the activation status of your machine.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Hi,

Are you sure you didn't activate towards the end of setup? If there was
never any activation, you may want to check and see if you received a legal
version:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

In news:06FB0243-9E98-488A-B1DC-3A5E8D55D4E2@microsoft.com,
squirej <squirej@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I purchased and installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro.
> I have recived no notice to activate.when i click
> Start/Accesories/System Tools
> there is no listing for "activate windows xp" do I need to
> activate
> and/or register
> my windows xp? If so how?

Many OEM systems come preactivated and you don't need to do it
yourself (nobody *ever* needs to register).

But to be sure, follow Ron Martell's advice.

Please reply to the newsgroup

squirej wrote:

>I purchased and installed an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro.
>I have recived no notice to activate.when i click Start/Accesories/System
>Tools
>there is no listing for "activate windows xp" do I need to activate and/or
>register
>my windows xp? If so how?

Yes - it is only where the system is pre installed and 'locked to BIOS'
that it is not needed.

Start - Run the two lines
regsvr32 licdll.dll
regsvr32 regwizc.dll
and reboot. Then be on the Internet, go to
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Activate Windows
and 'Activate on the Internet now'