High-Speed Setup = Buggy Performance?

belliott

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
I know this is a broad post for this forum, but I have been having some serious problems with my computer. I built it myself with some top of the line components. However, it has always been buggy when it comes to multimedia performance and gaming, which is what I built it for. Every time I play a game (and sometimes when I'm just browsing the web) the system just reboots itself. I have a long list of components but something tells me that this goes back to the motherboard, a GA-8IHXP. Has anyone else had constant reboot problems with this board or one like it? Any ideas? I'm using Win2K sp3 and all of the most recent bios and driver updates (except for my Audigy card which completely eludes me due to lack of instructions). Thanks.

belliott

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Ga-8IHXP (BIOS v.7.00T)
P4 2.53 w/stock HSF
512 mb PC1066 RDRAM
Windows 2000 SP3
WD 120 GB drive w/8mb cache
HP DVD200i
TDK CD-RW 4800B
Audigy (?)
MSI GF4 4600 Ti (Det 43.45)
CPU temp ~41C
CPU and PSU fans monitored:
2721 and 1442 rpms (don't know which is which)
Sisoft Sandra says CPU fan has failed at 1442, but I see it spinning.

LumberJack

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
What about your PS? rating manufacture?
It may be that your system is shutting itself down when you are tasking the cpu... may be due to temp issue or fan issue as suggested by sisandra.. try turning off your overheat protection in the bios and see what happens...

Your shut donw level for the fan and cpu temp may be too low...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!

belliott

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
OK, I may be jumping the gun, but I think LumberJack got it right. I don't actually have a setting in my BIOS that offers a safety shutdown, but I do have an alarm for CPU temp. I raised that from 60C to 70C (even though my CPU was nowhere near that temp). Also, I enabled "Over RIMM Voltage", whatever that means. Since then, I played Counter Strike for over an hour with no hiccups. Thanks for you help!

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
You might also want to try this: Right Click My computer select properties. Click on the Avanced Tab. THen Click on Startup and Recovery (Settings). Uncheck the automatically restart box. With this setting on Windows re-boots your computer every time a "serious" error occurs. Kinda hard to troubleshoot a system that does that.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>

belliott

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2002
Thanks rubberbband. I think you just solved the last piece of the mystery. My motherboard needed some changes in the BIOS to run with stability, but that didn't explain the constant reboots. But your windows answer does explain it. I have made the changes you suggested and I'm looking forward to finally getting what I paid for in this system. Thanks again to the forum members!

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
No prob man. Stick around here and you'll learn lots. Three years ago I knew absolutely nothing about computers but now what little I do know I've learnt here.

Once in a while guys will give you biased opinions (fanboys for Intel, AMD, Nvidia or ATI) but that's just due to pride in their systems.

The aim of military training is not just to prepare men for battle, but to make them long for it. <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=327&s" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>