safely remove hardware HAH!

a b α HP
February 14, 2005 9:15:56 AM

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-07.html

I just added an HP AIW, it added this completely useless icon into the tray.
Even the author of this article [quoted by HP support] has no idea how to get
rid of this annoyance.

The solution [given to me by HP support] was

> HP 1315v :
> HP 1315v :icon:
> HP 1315v :
> HP 1315v :1. Right-click on the task bar of the computer.
> HP 1315v :2. Select Properties.
> HP 1315v :3. Click on Customize.
> HP 1315v :4. You see the "Safely Remove Hardware" entry, click on "Hide when
> HP 1315v :inactive" and select "Always hide" instead.
> HP 1315v :5. Press OK to save the changes.

They want me to change something that took me hours maybe days online to setup.
I don't use this function of customizing. I have no problem with being able to
look over and see that running applications that I USE, haven't broken down and
left the tray. I have 2 programs that can silently disappear. But are
necessary.
Looking to the tray is my 1st step in finding them. Looking, not mousing the
area to see what's there, what's not.
If it's in my startup and I don't need it, I move it to the disabled startup
folder.
This annoyance doesn't have an icon in my startup.

mouse over it and all you see is 'safely remove hardware'. double clicking it
pulls up a window to remove the HP item. I have no need to remove it. I use it,
I have no need to unplug it and go thru the setup every time I have a use for
it.

Using the remove hardware thing fails every time anyway's. How's that for an
annoyance.. You have a useless icon pointing to a broken program option to do a
useless function ?

Can I get it to work with the customize hide icon function ? Yes, and then it
hides a bunch of other icons specifically those two I mentioned above that work
when needed, or normally just sit collecting dust till needed. And the majority
of the other icons that I watch.

I'd prefer not needing to use that customize function cause it doesn't work the
way I want it to.

I suspect this is a windows XP thing because the recommended solution doesn't
mention HP by name. Just something using a USB device.

The HP solution should be labeled a work around, not a solution because it
isn't.

Does anyone have a solution to this ?

a b α HP
February 14, 2005 9:43:52 AM

Choose to "always hide" the icon! Then you won't see it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> do a
> useless function ?
>
> Can I get it to work with the customize hide icon function ? Yes, and then
> it
> hides a bunch of other icons specifically those two I mentioned above that
> work
> when needed, or normally just sit collecting dust till needed. And the
> majority
> of the other icons that I watch.
>
> I'd prefer not needing to use that customize function cause it doesn't
> work the
> way I want it to.
>
> I suspect this is a windows XP thing because the recommended solution
> doesn't
> mention HP by name. Just something using a USB device.
>
> The HP solution should be labeled a work around, not a solution because it

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 14, 2005 12:09:10 PM

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:43:52 -0500, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

Read what was posted if you're going to use a know-it-all trailer. I went into
GREAT DETAIL on why this was NOT an option. It is also the Solution found below
recommended by HP, Windows and
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-07.html
3 recommendations that are wrong and defined below by me as to WHY they aren't
the solution.

The thing that DOES remove the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon from the tray is
to TURN the thing off and the icon goes away.

This is still only a partial solution as I have no need to turn the printer
off. I also have no need to REMOVE the thing. I would assume that if I ever did
have the need to remove the printer and any software associated with it, those
items would be found either in the add/remove programs section or an uninstall
from the Start menu and associated folder when I 1st installed the printer [or
accessory]
Either of which should remove any and all programs associated with the printer
which should remove it. Making this icon a white elephant taking up valuable
tray real estate.

Since what it points to doesn't work with the printer turned on anyway's, and
turning the printer off [the solution] makes the icon go away.

The only thing that icon is good for is telling you your accessory is ON.

A 2nd time now. I'm not interested in the XP pro hide and seek options.

> [...]
>> do a
>> useless function ?
>>
>> Can I get it to work with the customize hide icon function ? Yes, and then
>> it
>> hides a bunch of other icons specifically those two I mentioned above that
>> work
>> when needed, or normally just sit collecting dust till needed. And the
>> majority
>> of the other icons that I watch.
>>
>> I'd prefer not needing to use that customize function cause it doesn't
>> work the
>> way I want it to.
>>
>> I suspect this is a windows XP thing because the recommended solution
>> doesn't
>> mention HP by name. Just something using a USB device.
>>
>> The HP solution should be labeled a work around, not a solution because it

February 14, 2005 12:14:28 PM

| On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:43:52 -0500, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
| <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
|
| Read what was posted if you're going to use a know-it-all trailer. I went
into
| GREAT DETAIL on why this was NOT an option. It is also the Solution found
below
| recommended by HP, Windows and
| http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-07.html
| 3 recommendations that are wrong and defined below by me as to WHY they
aren't
| the solution.
|
| The thing that DOES remove the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon from the tray
is
| to TURN the thing off and the icon goes away.
|
| This is still only a partial solution as I have no need to turn the
printer
| off. I also have no need to REMOVE the thing. I would assume that if I
ever did
| have the need to remove the printer and any software associated with it,
those
| items would be found either in the add/remove programs section or an
uninstall
| from the Start menu and associated folder when I 1st installed the printer
[or
| accessory]
| Either of which should remove any and all programs associated with the
printer
| which should remove it. Making this icon a white elephant taking up
valuable
| tray real estate.
|
| Since what it points to doesn't work with the printer turned on anyway's,
and
| turning the printer off [the solution] makes the icon go away.
|
| The only thing that icon is good for is telling you your accessory is ON.
|
| A 2nd time now. I'm not interested in the XP pro hide and seek options.

Your initial post was more of a rant than an actual appeal for help. What's
an "AIW"? You don't mean "all-in-won" do you? Does the device include a
card reader, by any chance (you didn't bother to provide a model number)? If
so, that's what's triggering the safely-remove-hardware thing. I hope you
understand that your desire to do away with the icon completely--hiding it
isn't good enough--is just a neurotic personal problem. Hide it, take your
meds, and find something significant to worry about.
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 14, 2005 3:02:26 PM

Well said, I concur . ..

Anonymous
a b α HP
February 15, 2005 1:05:04 AM

The O/P probably means an HP "All In One (Won)" printer. Can't help someone
like that (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban