What MMO / RPG are you playing today??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonj320

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
hi everyone, im posting to see what everyone is playing these days. i currently play guild wars and final fantasy xi. im getting out of ffxi becuase it just looks soo dated and there are sooooo few people playing today that i cannot find a single person o join a party with anymore.

i kinda dislike how i HAVE to use henchmen in guild wars as there are not many people who are my level and few people want to party. so as of now im downloadind the WOW trial again. i just want to party with actual people.

i also enjoy the witcher ALOT, but alas its not a MMO. and im looking forward to dragon ages.

im asking what you guys are playing. thanks

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Well I played LOTRO for ages - got bored.
WOW - never
EVE - did the trial but was very big and scary for a noob
Warhammer - did the trial
Pirates - Did the trial, subscribed but now a bit bored

Im thinking about trying EVE again (my first true love was Frontier), seeing as I have tried so many am I cut for em? lol. I like the idea but I get bored..

I play Guild Wars. If you get Nightfall and/or Eye of the North, you will have access to heroes. They are MUCH better than henchmen. You pick their secondary profession (and can change it at will), all eight skills on their skill bar, equip them with weapons, runes, etc.
I also still occasionally play Diablo II (not online though), and the original Sacred. I recently installed Sacred 2, and believe I will enjoy that one a lot too. I've written a "first impressions" commentary in another thread.
I've never tried WoW, and won't because of what I've read about griefers; I have no patience for that. I'm really not all that keen on playing a game that requires a monthly subscription to play, or one where you cannot be successful unless you constantly spend real-world money to upgrade your character or his/her equipment.
I'm not twitchy enough for shooters, so, I'm also interested in reading about the other good fantasty action/[MMO]RPG games others are playing.

delsaber

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I agree with jtt283 on gettign the upgrades for guild wars. Worth while if you like the basic game but Its frustrating when MMO dont have many users to party up with.

WoW will always be a love or hate MMO. Yes you have to pay monthly but YOU WILL SAVE MONEY as most people i know that play spend very little on other games. Its not true that you need to spend real life money to get gold and the best gear because the best gear is only achieved through raiding which means you need to at least have some skill as the best items cannot be bought.

On the dowside you do need to put in a lot of time so if you want to be good be prepared to waste many hours however if you dont mind not having the best stuff then its still fun for casual gamers. You have to remember though that even though levelling can be dull at times the real game starts at level 80. Its HUGE so you will never get bored.

I have played quite a few other MMOs and would summerise that

WoW = best for hardcore playing. Can still be fun as casual as long as you do not mind missing out on the best gear.

Guild wars = great for casuals or hardcore gamers that do not mind playing with NPCs sometimes.

warhammer online = Wasnt bad for casual gamer but because of lack of people it isnt as fun as guild wars or wow as wow has enough people and guild wars can be played alone easily if needed.

EVE = a veteran MMO players game. Very technical! I played for a while but found it quite boring.

LOTR = I have heard good things but not played. Again i hear it suffers from lack of players.

jokerjester

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Hi guys im new here...

Im currently playing Atlantica Online by nDoors Interactive, a turn-based MMORPG...

The battles are turn-based like old school RPGs which is a deviation from the cookie cutter WOW clones out in the market today...

and the beast thing about this game is its free lol!

Try to google this game up...

jokrow

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
im currently playing lan games.. hahaha... but seriously im playing atlantica online.. i just started the other day a friend of mine told me that i try atlantica online... so i did.. its kinda different from the ones i use to play like ragnarok online or cabal with the hack and slash game... so it different set of game play...

I also recently started playing Sacred 2. I've encountered a bug though, where sometimes the screen will freeze, but the game continues in the background (e.g. I can hear my footsteps if move). It seemed to stop when I loaded the latest Catalyst drivers, but happened again today.
It has otherwise been fun so far.

Phadme

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
As of the moment I'm playing Flyff for a hack and slash game, and atlantica online for a turn based game...I'm hooked with this game, I found some friends in game so I really like the community because i'm not only playing games for grinding also just want friends first that will guide me all through out the game and also a companion that give me a reason to play.

lightadam

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
Actually WoW is pretty casual, the whole WOTLK end game is clearable in 3 hours, with a decent guild. Blizzard designed with WOTLK to be casual, they are trying to show that mmo's can be casual and appeal to everyone. But yeah, wow shouldn't be called an mmo, theres no diffaculty anymore and everything is soooo spoon fed to you.

delsaber

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Ya but tbh the sort of guilds that clear it in 3 hours have been hardcore raiding types of people. Any average guild with regular people (i.e. people with lives) will take longer to clear it and every wow player knows naxx isnt tough anyway. The OS+3drakes and malygos encounters are harder but still doable for most guilds. My old guild clears naxx in about 3.5 hours usually and they were all semi casual.

I think as uldar and other patches come out casual gamers will not be able to get the best gear like they can now. Im glad I have quit now though

WTS wow account. lol :p

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
WoW...enjoying the content as a Holydin which i didnt see on my rogue for various reasons. Nothing else really attracts me tbh but its more to do with the amount of time i have invested into the game and i dont really want to go through all that again while there are still things to achieve in WoW

delsaber

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I quit wow last week and its like coming off drugs! lol.

Im trying to find my next gaming fix that will make me want to play but just not take up all my spare time like wow!

Ive downloaded atlantica which seems ok so may give that a bit more time. Ive also just got left 4 dead which visually is great but after just a few hours im a bit bored.

The trouble is with wow is that it make you think theres a reason for ploughing in all those hours and theres always somethign to work towards be it a pvp rating, level 80, shiney new epics etc

Now I have tried other games im thinking I dont care about killing a billion zombies in a row or racing around GRID to win a race. Its made other games seem a bit pointless :( I would install guild wars again but i have lost a few discs so ill be missing out on some of it.

Whats the answer?

rage_311

Distinguished
May 23, 2003
Check out savage 2! It's an MMO/RTS/RPG/action game ... and it's free. I just posted a thread about it, actually. It's NOT an mmorpg though, so don't expect that. Definitely worth a look.

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Navyfield. It's very addictive free game with nice graphics. You grind like in any other Korean MMO but instead of fantasy characters you build and grind a crew of a World War II ship or submarine. It's a real time tactical naval game based mainly on player's "twitch" skills: calculating torpedo firing solutions, gun ranges and angles, managing airplane squadrons, operating anti-air guns or anti-submarine weapons. The level and abilities of a sailor have effect on stuff like ship's speed and repair rate, spread of fired gun shells, reload time of torpedoes and guns, firepower of fighter airplanes and types of ships player can use. There are many types of sailors, ships, guns, torpedoes and airplanes. If you join one of the most influential fleets, you can participate in a special strategic event called "Harbor Assault" once a week. During the event one fleet defends their harbor and an invading fleet tries to take the harbor with landing forces.

EQPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
WoW. Been playing since Open Beta... had the same main since release.

Just picked up Age of Conan the other day, heard it had improved a fair bit since it's launch last year. Haven't gotten far yet, but the graphics are amazing, especially cranked up all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.