NETGEAR MR814 intermittent wireless connection

hi all:
I've got this netgear MR814 (V1) wireless router, and the wireless
connection keeps going on and off.
the wired connections work just fine.
only the wireless connection is intermittent.
i updated the firmware to version 4.14 RC4, and this did not help.
i am using it with a laptop that works fine with all other routers that i've
tried.
i am placing the laptop right next to the router.

pleeeeeeease help
thanks
hilz
4 answers Last reply
More about netgear mr814 intermittent wireless connection

    no takers?

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:47:44 GMT, "hilz" <hilz@noway.com> wrote :

    >no takers?

    No, nothing I can really say to help as I have no problems with mine.

    I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
    firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
    using WEP with auto authentication.

    Your problem could be a faulty MR814 but is more likely to be
    interference from a cordless phone or microwave oven or even a nearby
    network on the same channel. However, as you are right alongside the
    router, the signal strength should be high enough to override any
    interference - which indicated it might be the MR814 after all.

    I assume you have tried using different channels? if not, that should
    be your first step.

    As a last resort you might try reverting to the earlier firmware -
    perhaps the upgrade didn't take properly.

    Good luck.

    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

    >I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
    >firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
    >using WEP with auto authentication.

    This may be a stupid question as I have not yet even taken the router
    out of the box and am brand new to seting up a wireless network.

    But I just got a new MR814 v2, and was wondering how to find out what
    version firmware it came with.

    If it's not the latest release 5.3_05, should I upgrade as the first
    thing I do?

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:23:24 -0400, OP <nospam@no.fak> wrote :

    >>I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
    >>firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
    >>using WEP with auto authentication.
    >
    >This may be a stupid question as I have not yet even taken the router
    >out of the box and am brand new to seting up a wireless network.
    >
    >But I just got a new MR814 v2, and was wondering how to find out what
    >version firmware it came with.
    >
    >If it's not the latest release 5.3_05, should I upgrade as the first
    >thing I do?

    I have a V1, but the V2 should use a similar procedure. In your web
    browser open up the router config page- usually 192.168.0.2

    In the left hand pane navigate to Maintenance and select Router
    Status. In the right hand pane, look under Firmware Version to see
    your installed version.

    I would get the system working before trying to upgrade the software
    unless there is a major update - just one less thing to worry about.
    But check on the Netgear web site to see what the latest update does -
    if it corrects serious errors, then do it once you have the system up
    and working, otherwise you can probably leave it until later, or wait
    for a more useful update.

    I have not installed the latest update to the V1 because it doesn't
    change any behaviour I'm interested in or need fixed - it just
    corrects some behaviour when using Chinese.
    --
    Regards,
    Peter Wilkins

Wireless Connection Netgear Wireless Networking