NETGEAR MR814 intermittent wireless connection

hi all:
I've got this netgear MR814 (V1) wireless router, and the wireless
connection keeps going on and off.
the wired connections work just fine.
only the wireless connection is intermittent.
i updated the firmware to version 4.14 RC4, and this did not help.
i am using it with a laptop that works fine with all other routers that i've
tried.
i am placing the laptop right next to the router.

pleeeeeeease help
thanks
hilz

no takers?

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 04:47:44 GMT, "hilz" <hilz@noway.com> wrote :

>no takers?

No, nothing I can really say to help as I have no problems with mine.

I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
using WEP with auto authentication.

Your problem could be a faulty MR814 but is more likely to be
interference from a cordless phone or microwave oven or even a nearby
network on the same channel. However, as you are right alongside the
router, the signal strength should be high enough to override any
interference - which indicated it might be the MR814 after all.

I assume you have tried using different channels? if not, that should
be your first step.

As a last resort you might try reverting to the earlier firmware -
perhaps the upgrade didn't take properly.

Good luck.

--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

op

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

>I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
>firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
>using WEP with auto authentication.

This may be a stupid question as I have not yet even taken the router
out of the box and am brand new to seting up a wireless network.

But I just got a new MR814 v2, and was wondering how to find out what
version firmware it came with.

If it's not the latest release 5.3_05, should I upgrade as the first
thing I do?

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 13:23:24 -0400, OP <nospam@no.fak> wrote :

>>I have an MR814 V1 which is working fine - but I'm still using
>>firmware version 4.13 dated 20 Aug 2003. It is running on Channel 1
>>using WEP with auto authentication.
>
>This may be a stupid question as I have not yet even taken the router
>out of the box and am brand new to seting up a wireless network.
>
>But I just got a new MR814 v2, and was wondering how to find out what
>version firmware it came with.
>
>If it's not the latest release 5.3_05, should I upgrade as the first
>thing I do?

I have a V1, but the V2 should use a similar procedure. In your web
browser open up the router config page- usually 192.168.0.2

In the left hand pane navigate to Maintenance and select Router
Status. In the right hand pane, look under Firmware Version to see
your installed version.

I would get the system working before trying to upgrade the software
unless there is a major update - just one less thing to worry about.
But check on the Netgear web site to see what the latest update does -
if it corrects serious errors, then do it once you have the system up
and working, otherwise you can probably leave it until later, or wait
for a more useful update.

I have not installed the latest update to the V1 because it doesn't
change any behaviour I'm interested in or need fixed - it just
corrects some behaviour when using Chinese.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins