Sign in with
Your question

Warmonger runs poorly with GTX260

Last response: in Video Games
March 6, 2009 12:38:16 AM

I have been having a problem with Warmonger running smoothly. Everything sets up nicely, but when the game is running about every 4 seconds the game pauses for about 1/2 second, and it repeats itself, over and over again, like clockwork. It does it on the opening page and when I play the Tutorial and Offline Training. It has done this ever since I first installed Warmonger and I'm now trying my third reinstalllation. It has done it on the 178-182 drivers and I recently installed 182.08. I have never had any problems with my GTX260 on any of my other games. I recently installed a 8600GT to be used for dedicated PhysX so now I would really like to test it out. If anyone has any advice It would be appreciated.
March 6, 2009 11:02:26 AM

You have both GTX260 and 8600GT installed ? Surely the GTX260 will be able to run the PhysX on the card as well as the graphics. After all Nvidia produced CUDA to take care of PhysX, and I beleive only required 10% ofthe GPU power to do so.

I would remove the 8600GT and see if that is the cause of your problems.
March 6, 2009 11:28:03 AM

dennisburke said:
I have been having a problem with Warmonger running smoothly. Everything sets up nicely, but when the game is running about every 4 seconds the game pauses for about 1/2 second, and it repeats itself, over and over again, like clockwork. It does it on the opening page and when I play the Tutorial and Offline Training. It has done this ever since I first installed Warmonger and I'm now trying my third reinstalllation. It has done it on the 178-182 drivers and I recently installed 182.08. I have never had any problems with my GTX260 on any of my other games. I recently installed a 8600GT to be used for dedicated PhysX so now I would really like to test it out. If anyone has any advice It would be appreciated.

If the 8600 gt isnt the prob i would check to make sure you uninstalled all your previous video drivers completely and only have the newest ones installed.

This would include physically removing nvidia drivers folders from your c drive and your personal settings folders. That might help as well.

Also is the 260 overclocked? temperatures? If its custom overclocked you might have it up a lil too high, or you might need to turn the fan speed up to keep it cooled down.

hope this helps.
March 7, 2009 3:15:05 PM

Thanks for the replys...Below is how I have been installing drivers for the last month:

1- ) downloaded and saved new driver
2- ) removed nTune (from Add or Remove)
3- ) " PhysX ( " )
4- ) " V driver ( " )
5- ) rebooted
6- ) deleted unnecessary files
7- ) rebooted
8- ) ran Windows Live OneCare Clean-up tool
9- ) rebooted
10-) disabled internet connection
11-) shutdown ZA Security Suite
12-) ran Driver Cleaner (used nVidia and nVidia PhysX filters)
13-) rebooted
14-) shutdown ZA
15-) installed driver
16-) rebooted
17-) installed nTune

Absolutly, my 260 should be fine for PhysX. My problem actually goes deeper than what I posted at Tom's. Here is a link to a rather lengthy post I placed at EVGA:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100511811&mpage=1&k...

In essence...I'm not certain PhysX is working, with or without the 8600GT. I have downloaded a couple of other Physx demos
from Nvidia and with the 260 I cannot really tell the difference between Enabled or Disabled, but they do play well. I do have a trained artists eye for such things. My 260 replaced my GT and I paid for the GT so I might as well put it to work. From a performance point of view a multi-card setup is the way to go...from what I have read, and if a multi-card setup is suppose to work it should.

I have tried to edit my profile and hopefully my specs (signature) will be posted. I have created a performance profile in nTune and only use it when I play demanding games. After I installed the 260 I invited my friend Ben over to try out Warhead. Ben built my computer using the GT and I have also upgraded the psu and cpu cooler since. Ben has been playing video games since he was four years old (he is a lot younger than me) and knows a lot about computers, but even he is stumped by my problem. Ben has not paid any attention to PhysX as of yet, so he promised me he would eventually get around to installing one of his two 8800GT's to go with his 8800GTX and play with PhysX. Ben was using his GT's in SLI as an alternative upgrade to his GTX, but he recently had problems and switched back to his GTX. Anyway getting back to Warhead Ben played for about an hour. We had everything maxed with 4xAA. Temps for the 260 maxed around 60C and Fraps was showing fps in the 20's, which Ben found very playable.

Again, thanks for your ideas...Dennis

MARCH 7th UPDATE:

I downloaded a program today _PhysX FluidMark v1.0.0_ to test my PhysX setup and everything looks like it's working.
I had a misunderstand about how PhysX and PhysX games work. I thought that by disabling PhysX in the control panel, PhysX would be turned off...not so. I'm sure my PhysX setup is fine so I'm going to try to contact the makers of Warmonger and see what they have to say...thanks.
!