Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Question about 8 Security (?) updates on 2/11/05

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 14, 2005 7:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I know it seems unrelated, but why would a Windows Media Player that was
installed by the OEM, and worked fine until after this weekend and
above mentioned MS updates... start requesting "set up" information
again... as if it had never been installed or used?

Anyone experienced that before?
bj
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 5:54:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

The update for WMP 9 is actually an *upgrade*, so to Windows it's never been
installed or used before.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

chicagofan wrote:
> I know it seems unrelated, but why would a Windows Media Player that was
> installed by the OEM, and worked fine until after this weekend and
> above mentioned MS updates... start requesting "set up" information
> again... as if it had never been installed or used?
>
> Anyone experienced that before?
> bj
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 12:20:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

PA Bear wrote:
> The update for WMP 9 is actually an *upgrade*, so to Windows it's never
> been installed or used before.

My system came with WMP 9 installed, I had been using it, and thought I
had it set for no updates. I'll have to check that. :) 

Some other information I thought of, a week or so ago, I made MusicMatch
my *default* player. Would that have triggered this behavior? TIA...
bj
Related resources
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 6:38:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

chicagofan wrote:
> PA Bear wrote:
> > The update for WMP 9 is actually an *upgrade*, so to Windows it's never
> > been installed or used before.
>
> My system came with WMP 9 installed, I had been using it, and thought I
> had it set for no updates. I'll have to check that. :) 

Critical Security updates will override that setting.

> Some other information I thought of, a week or so ago, I made MusicMatch
> my *default* player. Would that have triggered this behavior? TIA...

No. The presence of WMP9 on the system is all that's needed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
February 15, 2005 8:42:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

PA Bear wrote:
> chicagofan wrote:
>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>> > The update for WMP 9 is actually an *upgrade*, so to Windows it's never
>> > been installed or used before.
>>
>> My system came with WMP 9 installed, I had been using it, and thought I
>> had it set for no updates. I'll have to check that. :) 
>
>
> Critical Security updates will override that setting.
>
>> Some other information I thought of, a week or so ago, I made MusicMatch
>> my *default* player. Would that have triggered this behavior? TIA...
>
>
> No. The presence of WMP9 on the system is all that's needed.


Thanks for the feedback PA Bear. I went through the setup process
again, and fooled with the file types long enough to get WMP working
again today. Appreciate the info!
bj
!