Is it possible to extract this file,
and run it in Windows XP?
Or.
Is there any other 'simple' Basic
program that will run in XP?
Regards.
9 answers Last reply
More about qbasic

    To run QBASIC, you need to get to DOS. Windows XP is not
    based on the old DOS platform, therefore it will not work.

    Microsoft Visual Basic .NET 2003 Standard Edition
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&type=ovr&pcid=3897bf96-7aa3-41e9-88d0-bc3d075ad436

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

    >To run QBASIC, you need to get to DOS. Windows XP is not
    >based on the old DOS platform, therefore it will not work.

    QBasic will for most purposes run in XP in the DOS emulation

    Yes.

    http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
    "Longfellow" <longfellow@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:TukQd.215$dv2.42@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
    > Windows Me disk, contains Qbasic
    > in a file Tools/oldmsdos.
    > Is it possible to extract this file,
    > and run it in Windows XP?
    > Or.
    > Is there any other 'simple' Basic
    > program that will run in XP?
    > Regards.

    Took advice from ...
    Daily Telegraph 22 Feb.
    qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp
    Copied from Windows Me
    Tool/oldmsdos into my XP
    'My Download Files'.
    It runs with any of my seven
    basic programs correctly.
    Just one small query.
    It opens in a very small 'pane'
    eventually 'it' sets my graphic
    card to full screen.
    Can anyone advise how to get
    this full screen from the start.
    Regards

    "Longfellow" <longfellow@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Me disk, contains Qbasic
    > in a file Tools/oldmsdos.
    > Is it possible to extract this file,
    > and run it in Windows XP?
    > Or.
    > Is there any other 'simple' Basic
    > program that will run in XP?
    > Regards.

    In this thread for the first time I read that it is possible to run Qbasic
    in Win XP. I would like to run Qbasic in my XP. I had tried to run Qbasic in
    My XP without success. Will somebody guide me How to install and run Qbasic
    in my XP.
    TIA.

    > Took advice from ...
    > Daily Telegraph 22 Feb.
    > qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp
    > Copied from Windows Me
    > Tool/oldmsdos into my XP
    > 'My Download Files'.
    > It runs with any of my seven
    > basic programs correctly.
    > Just one small query.
    > It opens in a very small 'pane'
    > eventually 'it' sets my graphic
    > card to full screen.
    > Can anyone advise how to get
    > this full screen from the start.
    > Regards
    >
    > "Longfellow" <longfellow@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows Me disk, contains Qbasic
    > > in a file Tools/oldmsdos.
    > > Is it possible to extract this file,
    > > and run it in Windows XP?
    > > Or.
    > > Is there any other 'simple' Basic
    > > program that will run in XP?
    > > Regards.

    Hi.
    As indicated in this thread. Qbasic can be installed from Windows 95/98/Me
    disks.
    It is not included in the Windows XP disks.
    If you do not have one of these, you need to go to
    www.qbasic.com/
    Here you will find a Newbie section to help you. There are tutorials, the
    program
    and a help file available.
    If you do have one of the older windows disk, follow this route.
    My Computer -> press and hold Shift, pop the older Windows disk into your
    drive.
    after the disk has been 'hit', release the Shift, right click the Windows
    icon,
    click 'Open', find the 'oldmsdos' folder, open this, drag qbasic.exe then
    qbasic.hlp
    into your My Documents folder.
    Good Luck.
    Let me know how you go on.

    "newbie" <newbie16@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > In this thread for the first time I read that it is possible to run Qbasic
    > in Win XP. I would like to run Qbasic in my XP. I had tried to run Qbasic
    > in
    > My XP without success. Will somebody guide me How to install and run
    > Qbasic
    > in my XP.
    > TIA.
    >

    > "Longfellow" <longfellow@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> Took advice from ...
    >> Daily Telegraph 22 Feb.
    >> qbasic.exe and qbasic.hlp
    >> Copied from Windows Me
    >> Tool/oldmsdos into my XP
    >> 'My Download Files'.
    >> It runs with any of my seven
    >> basic programs correctly.
    >> Just one small query.
    >> It opens in a very small 'pane'
    >> eventually 'it' sets my graphic
    >> card to full screen.
    >> Can anyone advise how to get
    >> this full screen from the start.
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> "Longfellow" <longfellow@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> > Windows Me disk, contains Qbasic
    >> > in a file Tools/oldmsdos.
    >> > Is it possible to extract this file,
    >> > and run it in Windows XP?
    >> > Or.
    >> > Is there any other 'simple' Basic
    >> > program that will run in XP?
    >> > Regards.

    Start program
    Hit "alt" then "enter" on the keybd
    Should then appear fullscreen

    BillyK wrote:
    > Start program
    > Hit "alt" then "enter" on the keybd
    > Should then appear fullscreen

    PLEASE quote the post you are replying to. This is NOT a chat room.

    Thank you.

    The original question would have been
    <<How to enlarge the QBasic Start up pane to full screen>>
    And 'alt plus enter' works a treat.
    Have you any idea how to obtain a print-out of the result
    of running a QBasic program.
    PrtScn would send to clipboard for Windows Me and 98
    but this does not work for windows XP.
    Am willing to try any suggestions.

    "BillyK" <bill.cheryll.cox@xtra.co-dot-nz.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Start program