Configuring Taskbar Opening Times

My task bar is popping up at inconvenient times. For example, when I
download a file from the web, the Firefox download manager window opens and
as a result, the task bar pops up and flashes the Firefox icon in the task
bar. I would like the task bar to not pop up in this case. Also, the task
bar will not close until I move my mouse to the download manager window. I
don't like this behavior either. Basically, I would like to configure the
task bar to open only when I move the mouse to the taskbar and to never
steal focus. Can this be done? If so, how?

XP Home
Firefox browser
Taskbar autohide is enabled
Theme: Windows XP Modified
Windows and Buttons: Windows XP style
Color Scheme: Silver
Font Size: extra Large fonts

Firefox is not part of Windows XP. I suggest finding a Firefox newsgroup.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"John Smithe" <JS@huh.wha> wrote in message
> My task bar is popping up at inconvenient times. For example, when I
> download a file from the web, the Firefox download manager window opens
> and
> as a result, the task bar pops up and flashes the Firefox icon in the task
> bar. I would like the task bar to not pop up in this case. Also, the task
> bar will not close until I move my mouse to the download manager window. I
> don't like this behavior either. Basically, I would like to configure the
> task bar to open only when I move the mouse to the taskbar and to never
> steal focus. Can this be done? If so, how?
>

> XP Home
> Firefox browser
> Taskbar autohide is enabled
> Theme: Windows XP Modified
> Windows and Buttons: Windows XP style
> Color Scheme: Silver
> Font Size: extra Large fonts

TweakUI
[+] General
Focus

Focus
[[Enables to user to "prevent applications from stealing focus" from the
window you are working in. Instead, their taskbar icon will flash to
indicate that the application is trying to get your attention.]]

[[When an application needs your attention-or when it simply wants to annoy
you-it steals the focus from the application in which you're currently
working. This leads to frustration as you flip back and forth between
windows. The settings in the Focus category prevent that scenario by causing
applications to flash their taskbar buttons to get your attention rather
than stealing focus from the application in the foreground.]]
----

Download TweakUI here >>>

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP

Tweak UI
TweakUI.exe
===

Tweak UI for Windows XP Guide
http://www.winxpsolution.com/Tweakuixppro.aspx

----

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Value Name: ForegroundFlashCount
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 thru X
0 = taskbar button flashes until you click it
1 thru X = flashes the number of times for value set

Value Name: ForegroundLockTimeout
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 00030d40
The default value is 0x00030D40 (200000)
This value is the time in milliseconds before Windows XP allows an
application to steal the focus from the foreground application. To convert
200000 to seconds, divide it by 1000 (200 seconds).

Microsoft® Windows® XP Registry Guide
Chapter 5 Mapping Tweak UI
http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6232.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Xns95FE34E8F8373DQ1V55H078NX3AGH5MJX@130.133.1.4,
John Smithe <JS@huh.wha> hunted and pecked:
> My task bar is popping up at inconvenient times. For example, when I
> download a file from the web, the Firefox download manager window
> opens and as a result, the task bar pops up and flashes the Firefox
> icon in the task bar. I would like the task bar to not pop up in this
> case. Also, the task bar will not close until I move my mouse to the
> download manager window. I don't like this behavior either.
> Basically, I would like to configure the task bar to open only when I
> move the mouse to the taskbar and to never steal focus. Can this be
> done? If so, how?
>

> XP Home
> Firefox browser
> Taskbar autohide is enabled
> Theme: Windows XP Modified
> Windows and Buttons: Windows XP style
> Color Scheme: Silver
> Font Size: extra Large fonts

_Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE_, martedì 15/feb/2005:

> Firefox is not part of Windows XP. I suggest finding a Firefox newsgroup.

Uh? It was an interesting question about the taskbar, Firefox was only an
example made by John Smithe to explain the issue.
--
Maria Luisa C - 15/02/2005 20.43.13

Thanks for your reply. I've got TweakUI installed and setup as you suggest.
Unfortunately, the taskbar still insists on opening. I guess it opens so
that one can see the button flash when an app' wants to get one's
attention. My issue is that the taskbar will not close until I move the
cursor to the appropriate window. So, even though the app' doesn't steal
focus, I have to shift focus to the offending app' myself to get the
taskbar to close! Actually, I'd prefer that the task bar not open at all
even though some app' may want to get my attention. I even tried to set the
number of flashes to zero to no avail. Let me be clear, my issue is not
that focus is being stolen, instead it is that the taskbar is opening and
staying open until I manually shift foucs to the app' attempting to get my
attention.

Thanks
JS

On 15 Feb 2005 13:12:01 GMT, John Smithe wrote:

> My task bar is popping up at inconvenient times. For example, when I
> download a file from the web, the Firefox download manager window opens and
> as a result, the task bar pops up and flashes the Firefox icon in the task
> bar. I would like the task bar to not pop up in this case. Also, the task
> bar will not close until I move my mouse to the download manager window. I
> don't like this behavior either. Basically, I would like to configure the
> task bar to open only when I move the mouse to the taskbar and to never
> steal focus. Can this be done? If so, how?
>

> XP Home
> Firefox browser
> Taskbar autohide is enabled
> Theme: Windows XP Modified
> Windows and Buttons: Windows XP style
> Color Scheme: Silver
> Font Size: extra Large fonts

What about skipping Autohide. Instead uncheck the box in Taskbar/StartMenu
Properties to keep the taskbar on top of other windows. The taskbar should
stay out of view unless you press Windows key or Ctrl+Esc.

Or try a combo of Autohide and letting the taskbar fall into the
background.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User