XP Corrupt or missing file

February 14, 2005 9:24:20 PM

Hi

I have recently upgraded Windows ME to XP using an Upgrade CD and everything
was fine until browsing the Internet and I clicked on a message to update my
antivirus. System shutdown and will not now load XP, I get the following
message

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

\windows\system32\config\system

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original Set-Up CD-ROM. Select r at the first screen to start repair."

I have tried to run the the CD-ROM but the PC starts to boot from the CD and
then I get the above message, also the keyboard is disabled even though the
lights on the keyboard flash during POST routine. Also, I have tried
inserting a boot floppy and attempted to format the "C" drive but a message
is displayed that says no drive with FAT or FAT332 could be found. The
message goes on to say that some viruses can hide the C drive from the OS.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, or any suggestions as to the cause
and how to repair?

Thanks

Nick

More about : corrupt missing file

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:49:18 PM

"Nick1966" <nickbradbury@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have recently upgraded Windows ME to XP using an Upgrade CD and everything
>was fine until browsing the Internet and I clicked on a message to update my
>antivirus. System shutdown and will not now load XP, I get the following
>message
>
>"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
>
>\windows\system32\config\system

Your computer has a corrupted registry (system is one of the registry
files).

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
Article ID : 307545
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=307545

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

February 15, 2005 11:39:48 PM

Nick1966 wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have recently upgraded Windows ME to XP using an Upgrade CD and everything
> was fine until browsing the Internet and I clicked on a message to update my
> antivirus. System shutdown and will not now load XP, I get the following
> message
>
> "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
>
> \windows\system32\config\system
>
> You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
> original Set-Up CD-ROM. Select r at the first screen to start repair."
>
> I have tried to run the the CD-ROM but the PC starts to boot from the CD and
> then I get the above message, also the keyboard is disabled even though the
> lights on the keyboard flash during POST routine. Also, I have tried
> inserting a boot floppy and attempted to format the "C" drive but a message
> is displayed that says no drive with FAT or FAT332 could be found. The
> message goes on to say that some viruses can hide the C drive from the OS.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar problem, or any suggestions as to the cause
> and how to repair?
>

> Thanks
>
> Nick

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:58:24 AM

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, however onr of the problems I have is that the when
I boot from the CD-ROM I cannot access the recovery console screen. Is there
an alternative way through DOS I can try.

Many thanks

Nick

!