Linksys "range expanders" versus Linksys APs in Repeater m..

Anyone have experience with both?

Basically, I have a centrally placed Linksys WRT54GS router and I want
to extend its range through some problematic thick walls and ceilings
but I don't want to have to hardwire over to another AP.

I have a couple of the Linksys "range expanders" (WRE54G)
(http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=629). I am not
impressed. They help a bit, but they are not boosting the signal
enough.

My guess is that a Linksys Access Point like the WAP54G configured in
Repeater Mode (so I don't need to cable between it and the wireless
router), might be better than those little range expanders.

Any opinions on these or other suggestions are appreciated.
1 answer Last reply
More about linksys range expanders versus linksys repeater

    Problem with repeaters IME is that with one radio, they slow your
    network 50%, the radio has to receive your traffic and then send it on.
    I've had better success using 200mW access point/routers rather than the
    30mW stuff from Linksys, Dlink, etc. And no, I don't work for these
    people, just bought their stuff.

    http://www.senao.com.tw/english/product/Product_wireless01_all.asp

    LarsW wrote:
    > Anyone have experience with both?
    >
    > Basically, I have a centrally placed Linksys WRT54GS router and I want
    > to extend its range through some problematic thick walls and ceilings
    > but I don't want to have to hardwire over to another AP.
    >
    > I have a couple of the Linksys "range expanders" (WRE54G)
    > (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=629). I am not
    > impressed. They help a bit, but they are not boosting the signal
    > enough.
    >
    > My guess is that a Linksys Access Point like the WAP54G configured in
    > Repeater Mode (so I don't need to cable between it and the wireless
    > router), might be better than those little range expanders.
    >
    > Any opinions on these or other suggestions are appreciated.

Wireless Routers Linksys Internet Wireless Networking