Not being prompted for action to take

When I plug my camera into the USB port, I am no longer being prompted to
choose what I want to do. I must have turned this off by mistake.

Is there a way to turn this back on? I have tried setting the properties for
AutoPlay for this device to prompt me but it makes no difference. Is there
something else that I can try?
--

Ron P

Sometimes you're the windshield:)
Sometimes you're the bug:(

Either way it is a mess!!
2 answers Last reply
More about prompted action take

    Repair for Camera (or card reader) Autoplay window (or Wizard)
    (02-13-05)

    If you recently installed Real Player 10, this is the likely culprit
    preventing XP to automatically recognize the camera or card reader and open
    the Autoplay window.

    You will have to uninstall Real Player and maybe do something else as
    described below. After you uninstall Real Player 10, reboot your computer
    and then try with your camera or card reader again.

    If you do not want to uninstall RealPlayer, you can go around it and still
    get Autoplay, as given below:

    Open Real Player. Go to Tools then Preferences.
    Click on Automated Services and then Disable Message Center and Auto
    updates. Reboot your computer and then try with your camera or card reader
    again.

    If you do not have Real Player 10, read below for different ways to download
    your pictures and repair the Autoplay.

    Several ways to download your pictures, from your camera or card reader.

    Before you connect your camera to your computer, make sure you have enough
    battery power or better yet use your AC connector if your camera came with
    one. Then, check your camera manual. With most cameras you simply power
    them on and set them to take pictures, with some you need to set them to
    something like connect to PC or set PTP. After connecting your camera to
    your computer via a USB cable, power the camera on and wait about 15-20
    seconds for XP to recognize the camera, you will hear some sound "ding-dong"
    and the LCD screen on your camera will change (the change is dependent on
    the type of camera you have) and you are now ready to transfer, even if the
    Autoplay window does not open automatically. If you do not hear a sound or
    the LCD screen of your camera does not change, the connection with the USB
    port is not correct. Go to the bottom of these directions to repair the USB
    connection.

    After you hear the sound:

    1. Open My Computer, look under Devices with removable storage. Your camera
    (or card reader) will be listed there as an external drive with a drive
    letter E, F, G or H (probably listed below your CD drive). Right click on
    your camera listed as an external drive. A menu will open, click on Autoplay
    listed on the opening menu. This should open the Autoplay window to download
    your photos the same way as when the Autoplay window opens automatically
    when you connect your camera.

    If you want to keep Real Player 10, this would be another way to do it. The
    Autoplay will not open when you connect your camera but you can still get
    the Autoplay from your camera listed as an external drive.

    Or

    2. Open My Computer, look under Devices with removable storage. Your camera
    will be listed there as an external drive (probably listed below your CD
    drive). Double click on it to open it.
    You will see a folder, double click to open it, then another folder, double
    click on it to open it and you will see the list of photo files. Select all
    files
    and copy to a folder on your hard drive. To select all the files, hold the
    Ctrl key down and press the letter A. Or, click on Edit on your top bar and
    then click on Select all on the opening menu. When files are selected, their
    names are highlighted in blue. You can then look at the menu on the left
    of the file names and click on Copy and then select the folder you want or
    make a new folder to save the files into it.

    If you want to repair the automatic Autoplay window (and you do not have
    Real Player 10) you can try the following.

    Different ways to try to repair the Autoplay window for downloading from
    either a camera or card reader.

    Go from steps I to V, although step V may not be needed.

    I. Connect your camera (or card reader) to your computer, and make sure you
    have
    pictures on your memory card. Make sure your batteries are good or better
    yet, use your AC adapter if your camera came with one. If you are trying
    with a card reader, just connect it with a memory card inserted and with
    pictures on the memory card. Power the camera on, wait 10-15 seconds for XP
    to recognize it, you should hear a sound and the LCD screen of your camera
    will change, the change is dependent on the type of camera you have. With a
    card reader, just wait for the sound after you connect it.

    Click on My Computer and look under Device with Removable storage. Your
    camera (or card reader) will be listed there, probably below your CD drive,
    and a drive letter will be assigned to it (something like H, G, etc.) You
    will use this drive letter in a step below, so just note down what the drive
    letter is. With a card reader you may see multiple drives, depending upon
    the card reader you have (you may have a card reader capable of reading a CF
    card, SD card, Memory stick, etc. each one will have a drive letter so
    select the drive letter corresponding to the memory card you have, or select
    any of the drive letters for it and it should still work regardless of the
    type of card you have).
    If you do not see your camera or card reader listed there you will need to
    repair your USB
    connection (see below for repair) or you are on a network and the network
    drive is Z and XP cannot assign a drive letter to your camera. You will need
    to take care of this
    first. The steps below will NOT work if XP cannot assign a drive letter for
    your camera or card reader. In some cases, your camera may be listed but
    with no drive letter. Try the drive letter after the CD or DVD drive under
    which your camera is listed.

    II. Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the textbox:
    REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL
    and press Enter
    Note that there is a space between ...32 and SHI...
    This will take a few seconds to run and you will get a "success" message.

    III. Download the autofix.exe file from the site below. At this Microsoft
    site, you have the option of downloading the autofix.exe file in one of your
    folder (or make a new folder and save the file there), then open the folder
    and double click on the file and then follow directions on the screen. Or,
    let Microsoft scan your computer to make the repair. You will need your
    camera drive letter during this step. After this, reboot your computer.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&DisplayLang=en

    You can leave your camera on and attached or your card reader attached while
    you reboot. However, better to disconnected the camera or card reader after
    you turn your computer of and then reboot.

    IV. After rebooting, connect the camera and power it on (or connect the card
    reader) wait 10-15 seconds for XP to recognize it, you should hear some
    beeping sound and the Autoplay window should now open giving you the option
    of downloading photos from the camera or card reader.

    V. You may have to set the options for this window.
    Click on My Computer, your camera (or card reader) should be listed there
    under Devices with Removable Storage. Right click on it and click on
    Properties. In the opening window, click on the Autoplay tab and under
    Select, scroll to Pictures to
    select it. Select the button Prompt me...

    Another possible solution.

    Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the opening textbox:

    cmd

    and press the Enter key

    A window will open (black and white) and will display the following:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\

    Type the following at the end of the above line after the \

    Net start stisvc

    And press the Enter key

    You will get a message that service is already started (if so this does not
    solve the problem) or that it is starting (if so this may solve the
    problem). Then try connecting your camera after you close this window. To
    close this window, type EXIT at the end of the displayed line and press the
    Enter key.

    "Ron" <spam@kwic.com> wrote in message
    > When I plug my camera into the USB port, I am no longer being prompted to
    > choose what I want to do. I must have turned this off by mistake.
    >
    > Is there a way to turn this back on? I have tried setting the properties
    for
    > AutoPlay for this device to prompt me but it makes no difference. Is there
    > something else that I can try?
    > --
    >
    > Ron P
    >
    > Sometimes you're the windshield:)
    > Sometimes you're the bug:(
    >
    > Either way it is a mess!!

    Thank you for these instructions. As it turns out, I do have Real Player 10
    installed. I will work my way through them as I get the time.

    Thanks again, this looks promising.

    Ron P

Microsoft Windows XP