Slow startup new computer (XP)

New box ASRock Motherboard
333MHz FSB 128 MB RAM WinXP
Takes 3-4 minutes to finish booting

Yes, RAM is a bit too small, but it ought to boot faster than this.
Possibly too many programs loading at startup, but I can't seem to find where
to stop them from loading.

HELP!!!!

Vox

In news:B42ACAC4-8046-4678-89E1-C11B2DD08DA9@microsoft.com,
Vox <Vox@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> New box ASRock Motherboard
> 333MHz FSB 128 MB RAM WinXP
> Takes 3-4 minutes to finish booting
>
> Yes, RAM is a bit too small, but it ought to boot faster than
> this.
> Possibly too many programs loading at startup, but I can't seem
> find where to stop them from loading.

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the speed is
otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most
people start their computers once a day or even less frequently.
In the overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up
isn't very important. Personally I power on my computer when I
get up in the morning, then go get my coffee. When I come back,
it's done booting. I don't know how long it took to boot and I
don't care.

But if you want to turn off programs loading at startup, on each
program you don't want to start automatically, check its Options
to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily and
best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from
the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
time. You can get more information about these with at
http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
to get rid of.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Thanks Ken. This was really helpful.

> My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
> long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the speed is
> otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most
> people start their computers once a day or even less frequently.
> In the overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up
> isn't very important. Personally I power on my computer when I
> get up in the morning, then go get my coffee. When I come back,
> it's done booting. I don't know how long it took to boot and I
> don't care.

Problem is, the thing is like walking hip-deep in pudding. And has been that
way since before getting it online (so not a problem w/virus, spyware,
adware, etc).

> But if you want to turn off programs loading at startup, on each
> program you don't want to start automatically, check its Options
> to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily and
> best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from
> the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
> programs you don't want to start automatically.

Must've had a senior moment. Of course, MSCONFIG. Doh!!!
And thanks for the other info as well. I'll look into the URL you suggested.

Vox

In news:5D7E82DE-0614-482D-882A-9F52D55BCA02@microsoft.com,
Vox <Vox@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Thanks Ken. This was really helpful.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

>> My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how
>> long it takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the speed
>> is
>> otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about.
>> Most
>> people start their computers once a day or even less
>> frequently.
>> In the overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start
>> up
>> isn't very important. Personally I power on my computer when I
>> get up in the morning, then go get my coffee. When I come
>> back,
>> it's done booting. I don't know how long it took to boot and I
>> don't care.
>
> Problem is, the thing is like walking hip-deep in pudding.

You mean it's not just slow booting, but slow all the time? Yes,
then there's a problem that clearly needs addressing.

> And has
> been that way since before getting it online (so not a problem
> w/virus, spyware, adware, etc).
>
>> But if you want to turn off programs loading at startup, on
>> each
>> program you don't want to start automatically, check its
>> to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily and
>> best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
>> from
>> the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
>> programs you don't want to start automatically.
>
> Must've had a senior moment. Of course, MSCONFIG. Doh!!!
> And thanks for the other info as well. I'll look into the URL
> you
> suggested.

You're welcome again.

Please reply to the newsgroup

qwerty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002

i just had the same problem with my computer even after running
msconfig...added 128 ram much faster now