joeharrison

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Hello. I am having a weird computer problem and don’t know what to do. I recently put together a computer with a Biostar M7VIG Pro motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 256MB of PC2100 RAM, 8GB Hard drive, a floppy drive and CDRW. After getting it together, I installed Windows XP and it worked with no problems for about a month. Then one day, it shut off and appeared to be rebooting, but nothing ever came up on the screen. After that, it would not power on at all. And I don’t mean that it wouldn’t boot. You press the power button on the front, and NOTHING happens, no fans, no lights, nothing.

I first thought it was the power supply, so I tried a different power supply. Still nothing. I then tested the Power Supply that I thought was broken on another computer, and it worked.

Ok, so it’s not the power supply. What else could it be? I figure it HAS to be the motherboard. If something were wrong with the processor or memory, the computer would turn on but just not do anything. The motherboard signals for the power supply to activate when the front power switch is pressed, and it isn’t doing that.

So, I think I’ve narrowed it down, so I prepare the motherboard for RMA. I got it at Directron.com, so I go through the whole process. I finally got a package from them the other day. But, it is the same motherboard! Written on the RMA slip says “TESTED GOOD”. I then installed the motherboard in a new case, with a new power supply. I checked and double checked all connections, and STILL NOTHING!

I just called Directron to see how they tested it. I didn’t know if they just plug in some sort of testing device, but they claim that they actually plug in a processor and memory, and run diagnostics.

So somehow this motherboard tested good for them, but I cannot get it to work at all. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Maybe there is just something I don’t realize or don’t know.

Thanks,
Joe

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Have you tried bypassing the case power switch which could be faulty? - use a jumper instead to briefly short the 2 pins the plug from the power switch connects to.

One day I'll look back at my current rig the way I do my old ZX Spectrum.......Would have been interesting to say the least if Sir Clive had Bill G's business skills

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
If you figure out how to fix this problem PLEASE tell me, I have a amd antlon xp 2000+ 512mb pc 2100 Ram, 200GB HD, Floppy drive, CDRW, DVD, and ATI Radion 9700 Pro, under windows xp and I'm having the exact same problem. I replaced the powersupply and was about to purchase a new motherboard and cpu, but if I can fix my old one with something as simple as a new switch, that would be awsome.
The only differance is If I plug in a usb keyboard the light does go on, and if i switch the powersupplies breaker off and then back on the fan spins for half a second and a light on the mother board turns on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit - I just finished testing my system, again. I tried turning on the system without the switch and its still not working, But I seem to have a short on the motherboard, as im not getting an open signal when i test the board.
Has anyone heard anything about ati radion 9700 pro shorting out motherboards?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Devren on 04/17/03 04:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Do the fans spin?

If not it could be the power switch as suggested.

But it cold also be video or ram causing your problem. Try them in a different machine and see if they test good.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
If I turn the breaker off and then back on and try to powerup the system the fans spin for about 1/4 of a second then i lose all power.

If it is the ram or video card, wouldnt that fry any other system i tested it in?

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Tried bypassing your breaker?

One day I'll look back at my current rig the way I do my old ZX Spectrum.......Would have been interesting to say the least if Sir Clive had Bill G's business skills

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your mobo might be touching the case (short to ground). Remove it out of the case, and try to boot it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I think Teq is probably right. I've had this problem twice in my life and both times it was the video card. (Actually, once it was the AGP port on the motherboard itself.)

<-----Insert witty sig line here.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
PLEASE consider this- newer power supplies will tend to shut down if they do not detect a good ground. Check out the ground connection on your wall socket. I doubt if it's the breaker. If you don't have a tester, pick one up at a hardware store or a Rat Shack.

I actually thought it might be your CPU, but on reading the rest of your replies, I think you've got bad power to the machine. Especially since I just read of another case just like yours.

=== Never assume ANYTHING ===

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Regarding your breaker, I take it you mean a circuit breaker between your mains socket and PC power lead? - need to test it on another high powered device or change it with a known good one.

I doubt it's a short in your PSU if you've tried a different known good one. Could be a fault thats developed on your motherboard from a component failing so give it a good look over checking all the electolytic capacitors (one thats bulged at the top or leaking a brown like substance would indicate a fault).

Lastly, is your CPU fan ok? - some boards have a setting in the BIOS that powers off the system immediately as soon as it detects the CPU fan is not spinning.

joeharrison

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Have you tried bypassing the case power switch which could be faulty?
No, but I tried 2 different cases.

Do the fans spin?
No, nothing comes on.

Your mobo might be touching the case.
I did try 2 different cases. And the first one worked for a month, but then shut off, which is when this problem started.

newer power supplies will tend to shut down if they do not detect a good ground:
I have another computer running on the same outlet. Also, I am in a dorm room, so the power is pretty heavy duty.

Could be a fault thats developed on your motherboard from a component:
Somehow, directron said that this motherboard “Tested Good”.

Lastly, is your CPU fan ok?
I’m not sure. I guess I should try a different processor, but I don’t have one lying around.

I guess I should test the RAM also, but I thought the computer would at least power up and beep if the RAM was faulty.

Thanks to everyone replying. I appreciate it.

-Joe

joeharrison

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Here is a thought I had and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Say that the processor is completely non-functional. Something happened and now it is not working at all. Would the motherboard NOT power up if it knew that there processor was damaged?

I have been assuming that it would still power up, but give a beep code. I don’t know why I have been assuming this.

Or maybe, the processor is so messed up that it appears to the motherboard that it doesn’t even exist. Again, I thought it would still power up, but beep or somehting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
In a PC the cpu does <i>everything</i> including beeping the speaker.

If you've got a dead CPU nothing is going to happen no matter what you do.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---