What is the best Mobo for the upcomeing p4 3ghz800

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
Recently my Mobo blew, so I have decided to upgrade my system. I was useing a amd athlon xp 2000+, the stupid things about a year and 3 weeks old to so the warntee expired! yay. lol. Anyway, I'm considering upgradeing to the upcomeing 3.0 GHZ P4 with 800 MHZ fsb. The probelm is I haven't been keeping up with hardware as I expected my CPU to last at least another 6-9 months. Anyway, I'm trying to determain what the best motherboard to purchase would be. Right now I'm looking at <A HREF="http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=875P_NEO-FIS2R" target="_new">http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=875P_NEO-FIS2R</A>
Now according to the specs it will support the Prescott core. (I belive that is the one coming out in the next few months that is supposed to be amazeing, please correct me if I am wrong).
I intend to use the system for heavy gameing, and I currently have the Ati Radon 9700 Pro.
So my questions are
1. Does anyone know of a better motherboard. (this one costs around $200, ill consider spending up to about $300 if it will last and i can upgrade it. I care about, in order of desire, Speed, Stability, features)
2. (this one should be in the cpu section but my main question is for the motherboard)Do you suggest i just buy a 2.4 ghz p4 and then wait for the prescot to be released, and what are the differances between the two?
3. Anything else you guys think I should know.
and thanks alot!

CrowScape

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I think Prescott is going to have a completely different socket; a 775 pin land grid array. So their classification of a socket 478 supporting both a Northwood and a Prescott core seems to be incorrect. For a Prescott chip you'll need a Grantsdale chipset, which won't be out until 2004.

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Right now options are kinda limited, some models of the 845pe? (i think) and the 875p. I believe sis is putting out an 800mhz chipset shortly too but I don't know anything about it at all. As far as brand goes the usual suspects, msi, asus, abit, gigabyte. Shrug. Most of the new 875 boards seem to run about 170-250 range. They have a pretty nice feature set.

Shadus

devren

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
*smiles*
I think ill stay clear of gigabyte, I used them for my last motherboard and it only lasted about a year and a day lol and I didnt overclock or mess with anything. *sighs*
But thanks guys, ill keep looking, and if anyone else has anything to say I would appreciate it.
thanks again.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I had a Soyo board that blew up after 2 months, it took 6 attempts and 8 months to get an RMA which they wanted to charge me $15 for!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>