Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

FTP Uploader

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
February 16, 2005 5:08:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with XP to
transfer small web page files to a site?

Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
haven't found yet?

More about : ftp uploader

February 16, 2005 5:08:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Henry wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with
> XP to transfer small web page files to a site?
>
> Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
> haven't found yet?

WS_ftp is a good one, and free. YOu'll have to search for it though; forget
the address.

--
---
No, I won't get dressed.
I'm retired!
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:16:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
"My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard from
the left panel.

"Henry" <henry@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
news:cuvk6p$gsm$1@rdel.co.uk...
> Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with XP to
> transfer small web page files to a site?
>
> Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
> haven't found yet?
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:26:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:08:50 -0000, Henry wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with XP to
> transfer small web page files to a site?
>
> Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
> haven't found yet?

There is a command line ftp tool included with XP. You execute it by
typing ftp.exe in a command prompt window.

If you want a graphical interface, I like FileZilla from
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
February 16, 2005 5:35:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:#IVIHLDFFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Henry wrote:
> > Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with
> > XP to transfer small web page files to a site?
> >
> > Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
> > haven't found yet?
>
> WS_ftp is a good one, and free. YOu'll have to search for it though;
forget
> the address.

Yes, I've seen that one, didn't realise it was free though.
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 5:38:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Dennis M. Marks wrote:
> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard from
> the left panel.
>

I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I
follow you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address, username,
password) so that you can upload / download transparently as if it were
just on a local LAN, or a local disk?

Thanks,

nuk
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 10:40:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"nuk" <nuk@panix.com> wrote in message
news:cv0i1g$o99$1@reader2.panix.com...
> Dennis M. Marks wrote:
>> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
>> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
>> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
>> from the left panel.
>>
>
> I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I follow
> you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address, username, password)
> so that you can upload / download transparently as if it were just on a
> local LAN, or a local disk?
>
> Thanks,
>
> nuk

Yes. I set it up after having my computer for only a few days after changing
from a Mac. It was simple. I just used the Wizard and it worked.
February 17, 2005 6:59:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eoyJmUHFFHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
from
> the left panel.

Thanks - sounds interesting.
February 17, 2005 11:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Dennis M. Marks wrote:
> "nuk" <nuk@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:cv0i1g$o99$1@reader2.panix.com...
>> Dennis M. Marks wrote:
>>> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload,
>>> download, create folders, and delete just as though they are in
>>> your computer. Open "My Network Places" folder and select the "add
>>> a network place" wizard from the left panel.
>>>
>>
>> I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I
>> follow you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address,
>> username, password) so that you can upload / download transparently
>> as if it were just on a local LAN, or a local disk?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> nuk
>
> Yes. I set it up after having my computer for only a few days after
> changing from a Mac. It was simple. I just used the Wizard and it
> worked.


That does work, and it works well. Only trouble I've run into is getting
the initial upload up there. Seems like I always have to get a couple of
embryonic files up there before it'll work.
Oh, you can sort of double-save too; both to the site, and to your hard
disk wiht one Save command. For whatever reason, it's not defaulted to do
that.
--
-----
How long did the 100 Year War Last?
February 18, 2005 1:18:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:eoyJmUHFFHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
from
> the left panel.

I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it.

This is a brand new Packard Bell machine with Windows XP Media with SP2.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:21:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
real folder. If it is not there then:

right click start button
select properties
select start menu customize
select advanced
scroll start menu items
check my network places

"Henry" <henry@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
news:cv4ffs$q67$1@rdel.co.uk...
> "Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:eoyJmUHFFHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
>> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
>> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
> from
>> the left panel.
>
> I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it.
>
> This is a brand new Packard Bell machine with Windows XP Media with SP2.
>
>
February 21, 2005 12:12:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:#zUMRwwFFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
> real folder. If it is not there then:
>
> right click start button
> select properties
> select start menu customize
> select advanced
> scroll start menu items
> check my network places
>

I can find "My Network Places" but I cannot find the "add a network place"
wizard
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 9:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Henry" wrote:

> "Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:#zUMRwwFFHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
> > real folder. If it is not there then:
> >
> > right click start button
> > select properties
> > select start menu customize
> > select advanced
> > scroll start menu items
> > check my network places
> >
>
> I can find "My Network Places" but I cannot find the "add a network place"
> wizard
>
>
>
> Henry....Did you ever get your uploading ability?
I would like someone to follow up. I know nothing about uploading. I have
a Dell and tried the above option. It set it up through MSN, but I only have
a MSN page and not them as an internet connection. Could that be why it
didn't *take*?

I'm wanting to upload *my* recipes to a cookbook that BH& Gardens has built
for me at Abode. I really don't have a clue!
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:57:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:25:04 -0800, jatfla wrote:

> I would like someone to follow up. I know nothing about uploading. I have
> a Dell and tried the above option. It set it up through MSN, but I only have
> a MSN page and not them as an internet connection. Could that be why it
> didn't *take*?
>
> I'm wanting to upload *my* recipes to a cookbook that BH& Gardens has built
> for me at Abode. I really don't have a clue!

I suggest starting at the BH&G site. Look for support pages regarding
uploading to their provided recipe area. Internet Explorer can do the
uploading for you if BH&G has it setup that way. Or they may have an
uploading interface built in to their site. Or they will tell you to use a
third party ftp program. Whichever method they recommend, they should
supply you with all of the information that needs to be typed in before the
actual uploading can happen.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
!