FTP Uploader

Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with XP to
transfer small web page files to a site?

Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
haven't found yet?
13 answers Last reply
More about uploader

    Henry wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with
    > XP to transfer small web page files to a site?
    >
    > Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
    > haven't found yet?

    WS_ftp is a good one, and free. YOu'll have to search for it though; forget
    the address.

    --
    ---
    No, I won't get dressed.

    I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
    create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
    "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard from
    the left panel.

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:08:50 -0000, Henry wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with XP to
    > transfer small web page files to a site?
    >
    > Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
    > haven't found yet?

    There is a command line ftp tool included with XP. You execute it by
    typing ftp.exe in a command prompt window.

    If you want a graphical interface, I like FileZilla from
    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    "Pop" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Henry wrote:
    > > Can anyone suggest a simple upload facility (freeware?) for use with
    > > XP to transfer small web page files to a site?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, is there anything built into XP for this purpose that I
    > > haven't found yet?
    >
    > WS_ftp is a good one, and free. YOu'll have to search for it though;
    forget
    > the address.

    Yes, I've seen that one, didn't realise it was free though.

    Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    > I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
    > create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
    > "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard from
    > the left panel.

    I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I
    follow you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address, username,
    password) so that you can upload / download transparently as if it were
    just on a local LAN, or a local disk?

    Thanks,

    nuk

    "nuk" <nuk@panix.com> wrote in message
    > Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    >> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
    >> create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
    >> "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
    >> from the left panel.
    >>

    > I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I follow
    > you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address, username, password)
    > so that you can upload / download transparently as if it were just on a
    > local LAN, or a local disk?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > nuk

    Yes. I set it up after having my computer for only a few days after changing
    from a Mac. It was simple. I just used the Wizard and it worked.

    "Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
    > create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
    > "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
    from
    > the left panel.

    Thanks - sounds interesting.

    Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    > "nuk" <nuk@panix.com> wrote in message
    >> Dennis M. Marks wrote:
    >>> I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload,
    >>> download, create folders, and delete just as though they are in
    >>> your computer. Open "My Network Places" folder and select the "add
    >>> a network place" wizard from the left panel.
    >>>

    >> I'm looking at returning to M$ after a several year absence... if I
    >> follow you correctly you can set everything up (ftp address,
    >> username, password) so that you can upload / download transparently
    >> as if it were just on a local LAN, or a local disk?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> nuk
    >
    > Yes. I set it up after having my computer for only a few days after
    > changing from a Mac. It was simple. I just used the Wizard and it
    > worked.

    That does work, and it works well. Only trouble I've run into is getting
    the initial upload up there. Seems like I always have to get a couple of
    embryonic files up there before it'll work.
    Oh, you can sort of double-save too; both to the site, and to your hard
    disk wiht one Save command. For whatever reason, it's not defaulted to do
    that.
    --
    -----
    How long did the 100 Year War Last?

    "Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I use the "My Network Places" facility built into XP. Upload, download,
    > create folders, and delete just as though they are in your computer. Open
    > "My Network Places" folder and select the "add a network place" wizard
    from
    > the left panel.

    I looked for it last night, but couldn't find it.

    This is a brand new Packard Bell machine with Windows XP Media with SP2.

    Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
    real folder. If it is not there then:

    right click start button
    select properties
    select start menu customize
    select advanced
    scroll start menu items
    check my network places

    > Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
    > real folder. If it is not there then:
    >
    > right click start button
    > select properties
    > select start menu customize
    > select advanced
    > scroll start menu items
    > check my network places

    I can find "My Network Places" but I cannot find the "add a network place"
    wizard

    "Henry" wrote:

    > "Dennis M. Marks" <denmarks@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Should be near the middle of the right side of the start menu. It is not a
    > > real folder. If it is not there then:
    > >
    > > right click start button
    > > select properties
    > > select start menu customize
    > > select advanced
    > > scroll start menu items
    > > check my network places
    > >

    > I can find "My Network Places" but I cannot find the "add a network place"
    > wizard
    >

    > Henry....Did you ever get your uploading ability?
    I would like someone to follow up. I know nothing about uploading. I have
    a Dell and tried the above option. It set it up through MSN, but I only have
    a MSN page and not them as an internet connection. Could that be why it
    didn't *take*?

    I'm wanting to upload *my* recipes to a cookbook that BH& Gardens has built
    for me at Abode. I really don't have a clue!

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:25:04 -0800, jatfla wrote:

    > I would like someone to follow up. I know nothing about uploading. I have
    > a Dell and tried the above option. It set it up through MSN, but I only have
    > a MSN page and not them as an internet connection. Could that be why it
    > didn't *take*?
    >
    > I'm wanting to upload *my* recipes to a cookbook that BH& Gardens has built
    > for me at Abode. I really don't have a clue!

    I suggest starting at the BH&G site. Look for support pages regarding
    uploading to their provided recipe area. Internet Explorer can do the
    uploading for you if BH&G has it setup that way. Or they may have an
    uploading interface built in to their site. Or they will tell you to use a
    third party ftp program. Whichever method they recommend, they should
    supply you with all of the information that needs to be typed in before the
    actual uploading can happen.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User