messenger service

Could someone with some pc knowledge please tell me the idiot guide steps for
me to prevent my pc having messenger service pop up's. I did this once
before in a previous set up, before kids decided to mangle etc.

ta v much
6 answers Last reply
More about messenger service

    In news:143724D6-7852-48B8-A436-08DAC26A4692@microsoft.com,
    Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Could someone with some pc knowledge please tell me the idiot
    > guide
    > steps for me to prevent my pc having messenger service pop
    > up's.

    Enable the Windows firewall, or better, one of the third-party
    ones. You're running without a firewall, and such popups are the
    *least* of the problems that doing so is likely to cause you.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I think it is
    Controlpanel/administrative tools / Services../ Disable or Shop Messenger

    Jay wrote:
    > Could someone with some pc knowledge please tell me the idiot guide steps for
    > me to prevent my pc having messenger service pop up's. I did this once
    > before in a previous set up, before kids decided to mangle etc.
    >
    > ta v much

    Simply put: Install and enable a firewall.

    Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"

    This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    helpful?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Santa wrote:
    > I think it is
    > Controlpanel/administrative tools / Services../ Disable or Shop Messenger

    I realize that you're trying to help, and that such an intent is
    commendable, but please don't post potentially harmful advice.

    Merely disabling the messenger service, as you suggest, is a
    dangerous "head in the sand" approach to computer security that leaves
    the PC vulnerable to threats such as the W32.Blaster.Worm.

    The real problem is _not_ the messenger service pop-ups; they're
    actually providing a useful service by acting as a security alert. The
    true problem is the unsecured computer, and your only advice, however
    well-intended, was to turn off the warnings. Was this truly helpful?

    Equivalent Scenario: You over-exert your shoulder at work or play,
    causing bursitis. After weeks of annoying and sometimes excruciating
    pain whenever you try to reach over your head, you go to a doctor and
    say, while demonstrating the motion, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." The
    doctor, being as helpful as you've been, replies, "Well, don't do that."

    The only true way to secure the PC, short of disconnecting it from
    the Internet, is to install and *properly* configure a firewall; just
    installing one and letting it's default settings handle things is no
    good. Unfortunately, this does require one to learn a little bit more
    about using a computer than used to be necessary.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    in addion to a good firewall/ virus protector/ try going to www.grc.com
    run the "shoot the messenger"/"unplug and pray" etc also you can have your
    ports probed"shields up" to see if you are open to any threats.. i have used
    this site many times with good results..
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    here is a free firewall if you need it..as far as free ones go its one of
    the best

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    > > Could someone with some pc knowledge please tell me the idiot guide steps for
    > > me to prevent my pc having messenger service pop up's. I did this once
    > > before in a previous set up, before kids decided to mangle etc.
    > >
    > > ta v much
    > >

    > Simply put: Install and enable a firewall.
    >
    > Does the title bar of these pop-ups read "Messenger Service?"
    >
    > This type of spam has become quite common over the couple of
    > years, and unintentionally serves as a valid security "alert." It
    > demonstrates that you haven't been taking sufficient precautions while
    > connected to the Internet. Your data probably hasn't been compromised
    > by these specific advertisements, but if you're open to this exploit,
    > you may well be open to other threats, such as the Blaster Worm that
    > swept across the Internet last year and the currently active Sasser
    > Worm. Install and use a decent, properly configured firewall.
    > (Merely disabling the messenger service, as some people recommend,
    > only hides the symptom, and does little or nothing to truly secure
    > your machine.) And ignoring or just "putting up with" the security
    > gap represented by these messages is particularly foolish.
    >
    > Messenger Service of Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893
    >
    > Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement
    > Appears
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904
    >
    > Stopping Advertisements with Messenger Service Titles
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/communicate/stopspam.asp
    >
    > Blocking Ads, Parasites, and Hijackers with a Hosts File
    > http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    >
    > Oh, and be especially wary of people who advise you to do nothing
    > more than disable the messenger service. Disabling the messenger
    > service, by itself, is a "head in the sand" approach to computer
    > security. The real problem is not the messenger service pop-ups;
    > they're actually providing a useful, if annoying, service by acting as
    > a security alert. The true problem is the unsecured computer, and
    > you've been advised to merely turn off the warnings. How is this
    > helpful?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

    Another Firewall software to look into is Sygate Personal Firewall.
    They have a free download to try. I just installed this recently after
    removing Norton Internet Security 2004(what a POS that app is). It really is
    user friendly and I like the fact that when you open it from the Systray it
    shows you with icons what services, apps are actually running. We use the
    Enterprise version at work to replace BlackIce. I used to use ZoneAlarm,
    but I didn't like the way it worked. To me it caused more headaches when
    trying to connect to the Internet. It is more of a personal
    preference....Hope this helps.

    "Jay" wrote:

    > Could someone with some pc knowledge please tell me the idiot guide steps for
    > me to prevent my pc having messenger service pop up's. I did this once
    > before in a previous set up, before kids decided to mangle etc.
    >
    > ta v much

Messenger Microsoft Windows XP