Sign in with
Your question

Asus A7N8X Deluxe and Win 98

Last response: in Motherboards
April 19, 2003 4:58:01 AM

For the past three weeks I have been having the following problem. I purchased a pc with Xp ProSp1, 2800AMD, Asus A7N8X Deluxe,1gig Corsair ram, 80gb Western Digital HD. Wanting to dual boot, I purchased a matching 80gb WD HD. So far, I have been unable to get the motherboard drivers (on Asus disk or Nvidia web site) to install correctly. I even tried the installation trick I gleaned from a flight sim news group of installing Win98 files to C:\Win98SRC but to no avail. I am at the end of my rope. I know the hardware works because the system works under WinXP. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated greatly.

Frustrated Doc

More about : asus a7n8x deluxe win

April 19, 2003 5:41:06 AM

yes. don't use win98. nforce2 chipsets are very unstable and not designed or really intended to be used on win98 boxes. That software is almost 5 years old, what other software do you have that is 5 years old that you are running, much less your latest software. Windows XP has a compatibility mode built in that can run all your win98 software if it doesn't work with XP, try that out.
April 19, 2003 6:00:37 AM

I can't give up on this. I have six flight sims that will not work under any mode in XP. Besides, I belong to a LAN wing and want to fly with the gang on my new hardware.
Related resources
April 19, 2003 9:48:07 AM

Maybe you ought to get another MOBO that will run on 98. Nforce doesn't like 98 at all. It doesn't like XP either. It needs XP SP1 to get it's drivers right.

One guy I built for had the same problem as you. We ended up putting as big of CPU on his old board as it could handle. That's the machine he has to use for the Flight Sims. Bought another case & he uses the fast machine for web surfing. He's happy that he didn't loose his planes & such for the Flight Sim though. That game cost me some head aches on that build. I'll say this, those that like/live it have a problem being locked into 98 when it comes to building some of the new machines now days.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!
April 19, 2003 11:58:31 AM

I believe nothing run correctly on WinXP if you don't have it patch to SP1 because without SP1, WinXP is just a [-peep-]. But it's kind of funny when nVidia provides nForce2 driver for Win98/NT where thing could never run correctly on these platforms. nForce2 is a great chipset but it is not meant for older OS... maybe nVidia has another treaty with Micro$oft (besides XBox) that nForce2 would not run stable in Win98/NT so that people will upgrade to WinXP SP1...

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 19, 2003 2:11:42 PM

Could it by any chance have anything to do with Win98 not supporting USB2?

You could try Using Win98SE which might or how about disabling USB2 support in the BIOS?

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
April 19, 2003 3:12:54 PM

Yea, you do have to wonder about the whole thing.

April 19, 2003 4:17:50 PM

I think you need to install Win98 first and then XP. Won't work if XP is installed first.
April 19, 2003 5:33:33 PM

Hmm, have you by any chance looked for any patches for these games? Most games have put out patches or updates that will allow them to run on xp. Search google for them even, sometimes people will write their own
April 19, 2003 6:47:26 PM

Gang,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have downloaded the patches available for the games. Some just don't like WinXP. I will try to disable Usb2.0 and let you know. Fortunately, my WinXP Pro drive is working fine and my older pc with the Amd 1800 is still Win98 and working. This is one of those things that just drives me nuts.
Thanks again
Doc
April 19, 2003 6:51:17 PM

RC,
I guess I will have to keep my old Amd 1800 with Win98 around just as you said your client did. I really was looking forward to trying the games with the 2800. Thanks for the advice.
Doc
April 19, 2003 6:56:07 PM

Soul,
I just ordered a copy of Win98SE (talk about desparate) and will let you guys know if it helps. I really wonder if Nvidia is in cahoots with Billy Boy to force an upgrade. Capitalism at work for you.
Doc
April 19, 2003 7:04:27 PM

Have you tried using winME to run yer flight sims games? WinME might work better on nforce2.

** Before i get blasted in here, i am in no way/shape/form condoning anyone using the horrible o/s winME, im just offering it as a suggestion **
April 19, 2003 7:26:48 PM

Fiask0,
Man you and I think alike because I just called an early adopter buddy of my who bought WinME to see if he still had it laying around. I did just order Win98SE from ebay and will let you know if it works.
Doc
April 19, 2003 7:32:30 PM

Hmm.. so back to your dual boot issue.. you couldn't get your drivers to load, or what exactly with win98? Did you use any dual boot software that might help, or just use windows dual boot feature
April 20, 2003 12:37:20 AM

I gotta disagree with what fiask is saying, on just about everything he says.

I have the same motherboard with a dual 98/xp boot. I have had no problems with this at all. I'm not saying that it is error free, but it can be done, and I didn't do any tweaking to get it to work either.

First, wipe the drive clean. You can't install xp then revert to an older os. When it's clean, I suggest you hook it up to another computer, and make a single fat32 partition on it. Don't touch any of the other unused space. Then put it in your first computer and install 98. It'll do it really bloody fast.

Then, install XP. Give XP it's own partition from the unused space. Install it. Once that's done, partition the remaining free space as you desire.

Now about your games. Despite what anyone here says, there are a significant number of games that WILL NOT WORK on XP, no matter what you do. It will be impossible to get them to function. The only thing you can do is use these games on your 98 partition. Forget ME. You'll be lucky to get the computer to post with ME, let alone function. ME is the worst operating system in existence.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528
April 20, 2003 1:21:29 AM

It's about the only thing we could come up with.

April 20, 2003 1:59:47 AM

hey good point. But the dual boot problem seems to be significant on nForce2 platform. My old PIII-700MHz on Epox CU133+ is running ME/XP dual boot and I don't have any single problem. And the strange thing is I didn't install both windows on seperate partition i.e. both windows are on same partition (FAT32). I don't remember why I did this but so far no issues has been met. Are there anyone else having the same situation?

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 20, 2003 2:36:06 AM

That's pretty crazy. How did you pull it off? Seems like walking a razor's edge to me. I'm not ballsy enough to risk it. Waste of time if it didn't work, at least IMO. Plus, reinstalling one or the other would be hard work. I like my separate partitions. That way, they are effectively isolated from each other. My win98 doesn't know my XP exists, though XP knows 98 is there, but it doesn't really care either way.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2256Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500 @ 265/570
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio
3DMark 2001 SE - 10528
April 20, 2003 4:27:40 AM

I have to disagree with you, no disrespect of course. If you have no problems with win98 you are a lucky one. There are MANY, MANY people out there that have terrible problems with win98. I suppose alot of them however choose not to find the correct drivers, update win98, have quality hardware, etc. It probably can be made to work, im a firm believer that almost anything can be made to work with enough effort.
April 20, 2003 5:36:23 AM

It's just that I did none of that. I put all the pieces together, turned it on, put the disk and the drive and went, no problems. I haven't updated any drivers, or anything. The only thing I have done is setup my network on it, and it worked like a charm the first time I tried.

All I'm saying is that to play those old games, you have to have 98. XP just won't cut it.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 198x11.5@.185v
Thermalright SLK-800
Thermaltake Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti500@265/570
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Soundstorm
April 20, 2003 6:47:28 AM

well my friend, you lucked out =)
April 20, 2003 6:49:23 AM

Wait, i just read something about your dual boot problem.. Didn't i read that win98 has a problem handling any memory over 512mb?? Anyone out there verify this or can disprove it? Maybe try taking out a stick of ram and trying it. It's just a shot in the dark, might work though, sure cant hurt anything.
April 20, 2003 11:51:42 AM

You probably hit the nail on the head there - I know for certain ME don't like more than 512meg of memory (it don't like anything really). Not sure what 98se can handle but if it's got the same problem you can limit the amount of memory it uses to under 512 in MSCONFIG. Could try giving it a go with your current 98

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>
April 22, 2003 9:35:26 AM

Soul and Fiask0,

You guys are right again about Win98 and the memory issue. You have to change the vcache setting to 512 mb in the system.ini file to get it to work. By the way, the chage to Win98SE made a big difference and now I at least have all but two of the ! in device manager corrected. The Usb and serial controller will not take drivers from the 2.03 set from Nvidia. Now I have two eighty gig drives with working with A7N8X deluxe, one with Win98SE and the other with WinXP. (I am writing you from the WinXP drive now the other is sitting here in its static bag) I wonder which I should put as the C drive and get the dual boot to work?
You guys have been a huge help.
Thanks
Doc
April 22, 2003 9:44:27 AM

Umheit,

I have two drives working with the A7N8X deluxe now that the Win98SE disk came in. One has WinXp and the other Win98SE. Which do you think I should put as Primary master to get the dual boot to work. The WinXP drive has a 2gig FAT32 partition on it as well (it came that way from ABS) I had installed BootMagic8 on that small partition but when I had the Win98SE set to Primary master and the WinXp set to Primary slave, Boot Magic set the WinXp partition to no status and I could not get it to boot even though the dual boot menu showed up. I deleted Boot Magic from there, used Paritition Magic 8 rescue disks to reset it as active and am now using the WinXp drive to write to you guys for advice.
Thanks
Doc
April 22, 2003 4:12:46 PM

This is just my opinion, but I think you'd have to put the 98 as the primary master, because you probably won't even be able to install 98 without that drive being the master. I know XP can install anywhere.

If it's already installed, you might have issues. I suggest reinstalling XP because then it will recognize the presence of the other OS and configure the startup and everything else accordingly (like generating the boot.ini, and other such stuff). Can't say I've tried it that way before, you might luck out.

The problems will also lie in your boot up options. With the a7n8x, you can specify which drive is the primary boot drive. If you select one and not the other, you may not be able to boot from the other (again, haven't tried), so that is another reason why it won't work.

Personally, I would suggest having both OSs one one drive, and leave the other as a storage drive for games and music and movies and whatever. I've encountered less problems doing it that way.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 198x11.5@1.85v
Thermalright SLK-800
Thermaltake Smartfan II
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
BBA 9700 Pro AIW
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Soundstorm
!