New Motherboard/HD Problem Help!

Amarony

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Hey guys (and gals),
I have recently upgraded the motherboard for a PIII system and am having problems getting the computer to boot properly.

Old System: Pentium 3 1.0 ghz with Asus Cusl2-m, 512 mb generic ram, 20gb Seagate Barracude ATA II drive, windows xp.

New System: Changed to MSI 694T Pro Motherboard, all else left the same.

Upon installing the new motherboard, the system does the initial Bios boot, and somewhere while trying to get to windows( never gets to the splash screen) I get an error and the system reboots on its own, coming up with the next boot option of booting in safe mode etc. No options I can find will get it to boot all the way. There is a momentary blue screen after the initial bios moot, which I think is an operating system error message (blue screen with white letters) but the damn thing reboots about 0.1 seconds after that blue screen comes up and I don't have time to read it before the system restarts. I believe the problem has to do with the hard drive/mobo combo because I quick threw in another hard drive and it will boot to windows off of that old win98 hard drive (new model of hard drive though Maxtor 90845D4). I really can't afford to wipe the old hard drive with the xp system on it, but am not sure what conflict would be for just the one Seagate drive. Any ideas guys? Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
When you change motherboars, most often it scraggs the operating system because it no longer has the correct drivers for the chipset and IDE. In windows chipset, IDE, I/O, etc. hardware on the motherboard is detected only during install.

Re-install your OS and it should be fine.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

Amarony

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Thx for the tip. Sorry to be a newb but another question. If I reinstall xp on the root drive, will it completely wash the entire hard drive, or will it just reinstall the os and leave the installed programs and files intact?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you use the repair fuction of the installer it should (no promises) attempt to rebuild your system for you.

However... it's been my experience that only a clean install (format the drive during install) is going to give you a nice smooth running system. There are lots of things the repair process can't fix.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---