Networking home computers with WRT54G

Hello,

I recently went from a wired router to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router
in my home network. Previously, I had internet capability and could
share files and drives within my netwok. With the wireless router, I
have internet capability on all machines but I can no longer share
drives/folders between them.

How can I set up the network so I can share folders within my network?
Is there something I need to do in the router setup? I have run the
network setup wizards several times and each time I think it is good but
it tell me I don't have permission to access the usergroup when I try to
open a machine's files. It will show me the machines in the usergroup
but not let me access any further. Anything I overlooked in setting it up?

Thanks much,
Mike.
2 answers Last reply
More about networking home computers wrt54g

    "Mike" <plusty@indy.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I recently went from a wired router to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router
    > in my home network. Previously, I had internet capability and could
    > share files and drives within my netwok. With the wireless router, I
    > have internet capability on all machines but I can no longer share
    > drives/folders between them.
    >
    > How can I set up the network so I can share folders within my network?
    > Is there something I need to do in the router setup? I have run the
    > network setup wizards several times and each time I think it is good but
    > it tell me I don't have permission to access the usergroup when I try to
    > open a machine's files. It will show me the machines in the usergroup
    > but not let me access any further. Anything I overlooked in setting it
    up?

    > Thanks much,
    > Mike.

    I had this same problem. Tried adjusting & tweaking all the network settings
    with no luck. Finally, I removed File & Printer sharing from the network
    properties, re-installed it, and all was fine!

    Thanks Doc. That and some tweaking of my firewall settings worked good.

    Mike.

    Doc Shock wrote:
    > "Mike" <plusty@indy.rr.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I recently went from a wired router to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router
    >>in my home network. Previously, I had internet capability and could
    >>share files and drives within my netwok. With the wireless router, I
    >>have internet capability on all machines but I can no longer share
    >>drives/folders between them.
    >>
    >>How can I set up the network so I can share folders within my network?
    >>Is there something I need to do in the router setup? I have run the
    >>network setup wizards several times and each time I think it is good but
    >>it tell me I don't have permission to access the usergroup when I try to
    >>open a machine's files. It will show me the machines in the usergroup
    >>but not let me access any further. Anything I overlooked in setting it
    >
    > up?
    >
    >>Thanks much,
    >>Mike.
    >

    > I had this same problem. Tried adjusting & tweaking all the network settings
    > with no luck. Finally, I removed File & Printer sharing from the network
    > properties, re-installed it, and all was fine!

Wireless Router Computers Networking Internet Wireless Networking