Multiple/similar user accounts in My Documents

My kids (and OK, me, too) have pretty much filled up the C: partition, and I
want to move, and then point, all our 'stuff' over to the D: partition. I
know how to do the move and point part (TweakUI). My problem is that several
of the user accounts listed under C: \Documents and Settings seem to be
similarly named. This is how it looks in File Manager:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (a hidden file)
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User.WINDOWS (another hidden file)
C:\Documents and Settings\Jessica
C:\Documents and Settings\Jessica.HOMEXP
C:\Documents and Settings\John
C:\Documents and Settings\John.HOMEXP
C:\Documents and Settings\Meagan
C:\Documents and Settings\Meagan.HOMEXP

I'd be happy to move just the C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My
Documents...that would get documents, pictures, and music onto the D: drive,
and solve my space problem. However, I'm not sure whether the USERNAME or
USERNAME.HOMEXP is what's being pointed at by Windows. Both versions of each
user are dated fairly recently, and have completely different 'stuff' in
them. I am willing to combine the My Documents folders into one, and delete
the other one, but how do I tell which is the 'right' one? While I'm asking,
why isn't there a duplication of the Administrator, and why do some end with
..WINDOWS and some end with .HOMEXP? My suspicion is that it's because of an
XP reload or two. Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about multiple similar user accounts documents

    "Steve335DOT" <Steve335DOT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My kids (and OK, me, too) have pretty much filled up the C: partition, and
    > want to move, and then point, all our 'stuff' over to the D: partition. I
    > know how to do the move and point part (TweakUI). My problem is that
    > several
    > of the user accounts listed under C: \Documents and Settings seem to be
    > similarly named. This is how it looks in File Manager:
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Default User (a hidden file)
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Default User.WINDOWS (another hidden file)
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Jessica
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Jessica.HOMEXP
    > C:\Documents and Settings\John
    > C:\Documents and Settings\John.HOMEXP
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Meagan
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Meagan.HOMEXP
    >
    > I'd be happy to move just the C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My
    > Documents...that would get documents, pictures, and music onto the D:
    > drive,
    > and solve my space problem. However, I'm not sure whether the USERNAME or
    > USERNAME.HOMEXP is what's being pointed at by Windows. Both versions of
    > each
    > user are dated fairly recently, and have completely different 'stuff' in
    > them. I am willing to combine the My Documents folders into one, and
    > delete
    > the other one, but how do I tell which is the 'right' one? While I'm
    > asking,
    > why isn't there a duplication of the Administrator, and why do some end
    > with
    > .WINDOWS and some end with .HOMEXP? My suspicion is that it's because of
    > an
    > XP reload or two. Thanks.

    You are correct in the thought that the multiple instances (with a suffix)
    are the result of a couple of reloads.
    If the Usernames already exists and you create that same username again on
    the first reload, the system will add a suffix to it (being the windows
    foldername of the new loaded instance of windows) to distinct it from the
    old one.

    To find out which one is the current one, on your desktop, My Documents
    icon, right-click and see where it is pointing to.
    That is (part of) the structure that you are currently using and that is
    also the place where you can type a new location to have the lot moved to.

    hth

    george

User Accounts Windows XP