Laptop info transfer/

I have a laptop that needs to be reformatted. It doesn't have a cd burner. I
would like to know if I can connect the laptop to my desktop PC and transfer
all necessary files, format, reinstall OS then transfer all data back to
the laptop. Can this be done by a novice? Thanks in advance.

JCW
14 answers Last reply
More about laptop info transfer

    Hi,

    Sure, but how depends on the equipment you have and the type of connections
    available on each of the machines. A crossover cable is fairly easy, and so
    is using a hub or router.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop that needs to be reformatted. It doesn't have a cd burner.
    > would like to know if I can connect the laptop to my desktop PC and
    > transfer
    > all necessary files, format, reinstall OS then transfer all data back to
    > the laptop. Can this be done by a novice? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > JCW

    Can you elaborate on the use of a crossover cable? My desktop is an IBM
    compatible 2.8 P4 w/ 1028 mb RAM, XP Pro using DSL thru a router. The
    laptop is a Gateway P3, 256 mb RAM, ME OS, I would appreciate if you could
    direct me to directions to do what I described. Thanks

    JCW
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sure, but how depends on the equipment you have and the type of
    connections
    > available on each of the machines. A crossover cable is fairly easy, and
    so
    > is using a hub or router.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > >I have a laptop that needs to be reformatted. It doesn't have a cd
    burner.
    > > would like to know if I can connect the laptop to my desktop PC and
    > > transfer
    > > all necessary files, format, reinstall OS then transfer all data back
    > > the laptop. Can this be done by a novice? Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > JCW

    Hi,

    If you have a router, then the easiest way by far is to just connect the
    laptop to it as well. Share a folder on the desktop, then copy across to it
    from the laptop before shutting down to reformat. You might also want to run
    fastwiz and export the file to the desktop:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --

    > Can you elaborate on the use of a crossover cable? My desktop is an IBM
    > compatible 2.8 P4 w/ 1028 mb RAM, XP Pro using DSL thru a router. The
    > laptop is a Gateway P3, 256 mb RAM, ME OS, I would appreciate if you could
    > direct me to directions to do what I described. Thanks
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Sure, but how depends on the equipment you have and the type of
    > connections
    >> available on each of the machines. A crossover cable is fairly easy, and
    > so
    >> is using a hub or router.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have a laptop that needs to be reformatted. It doesn't have a cd
    > burner.
    >> > would like to know if I can connect the laptop to my desktop PC and
    >> > transfer
    >> > all necessary files, format, reinstall OS then transfer all data back
    >> > the laptop. Can this be done by a novice? Thanks in advance.
    >> >
    >> > JCW

    Rick,
    Can I hookup the laptop and share my burner to save files from the laptop?

    JCW
    > Hi,
    >
    > If you have a router, then the easiest way by far is to just connect the
    > laptop to it as well. Share a folder on the desktop, then copy across to
    it
    > from the laptop before shutting down to reformat. You might also want to
    run
    > fastwiz and export the file to the desktop:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > Can you elaborate on the use of a crossover cable? My desktop is an IBM
    > > compatible 2.8 P4 w/ 1028 mb RAM, XP Pro using DSL thru a router. The
    > > laptop is a Gateway P3, 256 mb RAM, ME OS, I would appreciate if you
    could
    > > direct me to directions to do what I described. Thanks
    > >
    > > JCW
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Sure, but how depends on the equipment you have and the type of
    > > connections
    > >> available on each of the machines. A crossover cable is fairly easy,
    and
    > > so
    > >> is using a hub or router.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > burner.

    Hi,

    Not suggested to share the burner, but share the files and then select them
    from the network to burn instead.

    --

    > Rick,
    > Can I hookup the laptop and share my burner to save files from the laptop?
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If you have a router, then the easiest way by far is to just connect the
    >> laptop to it as well. Share a folder on the desktop, then copy across to
    > it
    >> from the laptop before shutting down to reformat. You might also want to
    > run
    >> fastwiz and export the file to the desktop:
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > Can you elaborate on the use of a crossover cable? My desktop is an IBM
    >> > compatible 2.8 P4 w/ 1028 mb RAM, XP Pro using DSL thru a router. The
    >> > laptop is a Gateway P3, 256 mb RAM, ME OS, I would appreciate if you
    > could
    >> > direct me to directions to do what I described. Thanks
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> > connections
    > and
    >> > so

    >> > burner.
    > back

    Rick I appreciate your advice. Can you tell me step by step how to
    accomplish this, I seem to be too illiterate (computer) to make this work.

    JCW

    > Rick I appreciate your advice. Can you tell me step by step how to
    > accomplish this, I seem to be too illiterate (computer) to make this work.
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Not suggested to share the burner, but share the files and then select
    > them
    >> from the network to burn instead.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > Rick,
    >> > Can I hookup the laptop and share my burner to save files from the
    > laptop?
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > the
    >> > it
    >> > run

    > IBM
    > The
    >> > could

    >> > and

    > and
    >> > back

    Hi,

    First, have you got the network established where you can see the files from
    the other machine? Basically, once you do, you open your burning software to
    create a data CD. Where you browse for the files to add to the burn list,
    you go to the network and select files from the other machine. If you can
    see the files from the network in Windows Explorer, you will also be able to
    see them here.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > Rick I appreciate your advice. Can you tell me step by step how to
    > accomplish this, I seem to be too illiterate (computer) to make this work.
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Not suggested to share the burner, but share the files and then select
    > them
    >> from the network to burn instead.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > Rick,
    >> > Can I hookup the laptop and share my burner to save files from the
    > laptop?
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > the
    >> > it
    >> > run

    > IBM
    > The
    >> > could

    >> > and

    > and
    >> > back

    Hello Rick,

    I can't seem to connect the two computers. I get as far as the wizard trying
    to connect and it stalls there. I am using a new cable and followed the
    steps exactly. Any advice?

    JCW
    > Hi,
    >
    > First, have you got the network established where you can see the files
    from
    > the other machine? Basically, once you do, you open your burning software
    > create a data CD. Where you browse for the files to add to the burn list,
    > you go to the network and select files from the other machine. If you can
    > see the files from the network in Windows Explorer, you will also be able
    > see them here.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > Rick I appreciate your advice. Can you tell me step by step how to
    > > accomplish this, I seem to be too illiterate (computer) to make this
    work.

    > > JCW
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Not suggested to share the burner, but share the files and then select
    > > them
    > >> from the network to burn instead.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > laptop?

    > > the

    > > IBM
    > > The

    > > and

    Hi,

    Open the "Network Places" applet and see if you can see the other machine
    and the folders on it.

    --

    > Hello Rick,
    >
    > I can't seem to connect the two computers. I get as far as the wizard
    > trying
    > to connect and it stalls there. I am using a new cable and followed the
    > steps exactly. Any advice?
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> First, have you got the network established where you can see the files
    > from
    >> the other machine? Basically, once you do, you open your burning software
    >> create a data CD. Where you browse for the files to add to the burn list,
    >> you go to the network and select files from the other machine. If you can
    >> see the files from the network in Windows Explorer, you will also be able
    >> see them here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > Rick I appreciate your advice. Can you tell me step by step how to
    >> > accomplish this, I seem to be too illiterate (computer) to make this
    > work.
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> > them

    >> > laptop?

    >> > the
    > across
    > want

    > an
    >> > IBM
    >> > The
    > you

    > cd
    >> > and
    > data

    No, I get as far as the computers looking for each other then it stalls
    there. I am using a Direct Cable Connection pc to pc male to male parallel
    cable. Should I be using a different cable?

    JCW
    > Hi,
    >
    > Open the "Network Places" applet and see if you can see the other machine
    > and the folders on it.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > Hello Rick,
    > >
    > > I can't seem to connect the two computers. I get as far as the wizard
    > > trying
    > > to connect and it stalls there. I am using a new cable and followed the
    > > steps exactly. Any advice?
    > >
    > > JCW
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> First, have you got the network established where you can see the files
    > > from
    > >> the other machine? Basically, once you do, you open your burning
    software
    > >> create a data CD. Where you browse for the files to add to the burn
    list,
    > >> you go to the network and select files from the other machine. If you
    can
    > >> see the files from the network in Windows Explorer, you will also be
    able
    > >> see them here.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > work.

    > > across
    > > want

    > > an
    > > you

    > > cd
    > > data

    Hi,

    No, that should be fine. Read up on creating these connections:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

    --

    > No, I get as far as the computers looking for each other then it stalls
    > there. I am using a Direct Cable Connection pc to pc male to male
    > parallel
    > cable. Should I be using a different cable?
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Open the "Network Places" applet and see if you can see the other machine
    >> and the folders on it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > Hello Rick,
    >> >
    >> > I can't seem to connect the two computers. I get as far as the wizard
    >> > trying
    >> > to connect and it stalls there. I am using a new cable and followed the
    >> > steps exactly. Any advice?
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >> > from
    > software
    > list,
    > can
    > able

    >> > work.

    > select

    >> > across
    >> > want

    > is
    >> > an
    > if
    >> > you

    > of

    >> > cd
    >> > data

    Hello Rick,
    I finally made the connection by setting up a network using the router and a
    cat5 cable. Worked like a charm once I figured it out. Thanks again for your
    patience and advice.

    JCW
    > Hi,
    >
    > No, that should be fine. Read up on creating these connections:
    > http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > > No, I get as far as the computers looking for each other then it stalls
    > > there. I am using a Direct Cable Connection pc to pc male to male
    > > parallel
    > > cable. Should I be using a different cable?
    > >
    > > JCW
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Open the "Network Places" applet and see if you can see the other
    machine
    > >> and the folders on it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message

    > > software
    > > list,
    > > can
    > > able

    > > select

    > > is
    > > if

    > > of

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No problem, glad to see (or hear) that you worked it through.

    --

    > Hello Rick,
    > I finally made the connection by setting up a network using the router and
    > cat5 cable. Worked like a charm once I figured it out. Thanks again for
    > your
    > patience and advice.
    >
    > JCW
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> No, that should be fine. Read up on creating these connections:
    >> http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "JCW" <jcw@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    >> > No, I get as far as the computers looking for each other then it
    >> > stalls
    >> > there. I am using a Direct Cable Connection pc to pc male to male
    >> > parallel
    >> > cable. Should I be using a different cable?
    >> >
    >> > JCW
    >> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > machine

    > the