HP Netserver E60 CPU Upgrade?

Craig

Hi, I have an HP Netserver E60. Problem is that if any CPU over 600Mhz. It
brings up a CPU Microcode not installed error.

Has anyone come across this error? Is there a way to fix it? Why does this
happen?

On the seventh day, Craig wrote...

> Hi, I have an HP Netserver E60. Problem is that if any CPU over 600Mhz. It
> brings up a CPU Microcode not installed error.
>
> Has anyone come across this error? Is there a way to fix it? Why does this
> happen?

Starting with the Pentium Pro, intel introduced the uploadable microcode to
be able to fix errors in software. This way, the infamous F0-bug in the
original Pentium could have been fixed easily.

AFAIK this happens if the CPU core is unknown to the BIOS which does the
part of identifying the CPU core and chosing which microcode to upload.

You have two possibilities:
First, update the BIOS of your E60. This won't help if you're already using
the most recent BIOS.
Second, install an older CPU, i.e. don't use a coppermine core but a Katmai
one (unfortunatley, they're having a higher power consumption).

HTH

People must not do things for fun. We are not here for fun.
There is no reference to fun in any Act of Parliament.

The other possibility is that the E60 motherboard has limited support for
Pentium III voltages. At and above 600MHz, the operating voltage drops from
2.05v down to 1.65v or so... Ben Myers