Greetings. Someone told me I have too many program icons scattered on my
Windows XP (Home) desktop, so I should delete some of them because they waste
RAM. Would it be OK if I made a folder on my desktop and dump these icons
there, so all I have to do is open the folder to find the program icons? By
doing so am I saving RAM? Or does the fact that they are still on the
desktop, albeit in the special folder, still waste RAM? Thanks.

There's a Wizard to do it for you...

[[When the Desktop Cleanup Wizard runs, it places unused shortcuts into a
folder on the desktop called Unused Desktop Shortcuts. However, if you want,
these shortcuts can be recovered from this folder.]]

A Description of the Desktop Cleanup Wizard
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293154

HOW TO: Use the Desktop Cleanup Wizard in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306542

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:37B0AEF6-9154-448B-94EF-D9F816833D7F@microsoft.com,
Rebecca <Rebecca@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Greetings. Someone told me I have too many program icons scattered
> on my Windows XP (Home) desktop, so I should delete some of them
> because they waste RAM. Would it be OK if I made a folder on my
> desktop and dump these icons there, so all I have to do is open the
> folder to find the program icons? By doing so am I saving RAM? Or
> does the fact that they are still on the desktop, albeit in the
> special folder, still waste RAM? Thanks.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I keep a very clean desktop by doing exactly as you are describing. I have
6 folders such as "Applications", "Graphics", "Games", "Communications",
"Multimedia" and "Utilities". I then drag the icons into these folders by
description. That way I know where everything is located.
In the taskbar I have it show "desktop" and can see any all my applications
without actually going to the desktop. This works very well for me.

BTW I also make these same folders in the "Programs" folder for all users
and my name and drag the icons into these folders. This makes my "All
Programs" list very similar to my desktop and keeps "All Programs" very
short and compact.

Good luck