jchristman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
Would like to know, sorry if this is a stupid question, if the Asus P2B rev. 1.02 MoBo supports anything higher than AGP 1x. I got this board free but it doesn't seem worth thr trouble if the AGP port is only 1x. Thanks in advance.

No it supports 1x and 2X Which is rev1 of AGP. rev2 supported 1x,2x and 4x.
very good solid motherboard. will run 133fsb with a decent videocard that can handle the elevated agp speed. Geforge2 or Radion or better.

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 04/21/03 09:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jchristman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
I guess I stated it oddly in the title but the rev. 1.02 refers to the mobo version. What I'm trying to do, as cheaply as possible, is assemble a good gaming system using a Geforce2 64mb card. I get confused with the AGP 1x, 2x, 4x stuff. Just wanted to make sure this board would use the video card to the max. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
which GeForce2 64MB card? Your board will run the GeForce2 Ultra near it's peak. It will run the GTS or Pro nearer it's peak. And it will be far more than enough for the mundane MX/MX400. And the MX200 would be a waist of money on any board. All these cards were available with 64MB, all were GeForce2. The fastest Ultra card is about 4x as fast as the slowest MX200.

Anyway, you have a great board, if you have any limits at all it will be the card's fault.

Your board is AGP2x and can run ANY standard video card.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

jchristman

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
I'm going to be running the geforce2 mx400 card. Also, yes, the cpu in question is not Coppermine, its the Katmai version. I know I should do a serious upgrade but I get a kick out of making use of what I have cheaply.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That board can give you 100% of that card's potential. The BX is the fastest chipset available for the PIII or Celeron.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I just told you the board is AGP2x. The card is AGP4x but too weak to need more than AGP2x to make it perform at it's peak.

The only time you see boards say 1x AGP is when they are talking about the number of slots (ie, 1x AGP, 5x PCI: means one AGP slot and 5 PCI slots). There are no AGP1x boards, the earliest LX chipset boards were still AGP2x.