upgrading to xp, memory, cdrom burner, overdrive stuff

2-19-05 Since last post my preinstalled CD-RW writer plus gave up. What do
you gurus think about not replacing the CD-RW driver if I only use for b/u's?
I now use Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u; it is
irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact,easy, and removable!
So is there any reason to replace the burner if I do not make CD's other
than for b/u? Would uninstallation be advised to free up a bay and some
harddrive space?
I upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my
browser reactivity. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/
unused programs and files but could purge deeper if necessary with
screensavers, themes, and the burner.
Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?.
Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run Wxp? Is
there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
What is the opinion of "overdrive" processor upgrades, and is my processor a
candidate, and if so where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp 8665c
Pentium III, 600MHz
with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and 255MB
SDRAM

CD-RW's are cheap enough that it pays to have one, if only for occasional
use..

Your computer would handle XP but you need to up the memory to 512mb..

Download and run the upgrade advisor..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jaguardmymail@yahoo.com" <jaguardmymailyahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:AD2DE2D8-6308-45E2-A5CF-B93882849743@microsoft.com...
> 2-19-05 Since last post my preinstalled CD-RW writer plus gave up. What do
> you gurus think about not replacing the CD-RW driver if I only use for
> b/u's?
> I now use Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u; it is
> irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact,easy, and removable!
> So is there any reason to replace the burner if I do not make CD's other
> than for b/u? Would uninstallation be advised to free up a bay and some
> harddrive space?
> I upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my
> browser reactivity. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/
> unused programs and files but could purge deeper if necessary with
> screensavers, themes, and the burner.
> Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?.
> Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run Wxp?
> Is
> there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
> What is the opinion of "overdrive" processor upgrades, and is my processor
> candidate, and if so where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp
> 8665c
> Pentium III, 600MHz
> with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and 255MB
> SDRAM

2-19-05 Hi Mike, Thanks for the link and thoughts. My understanding, from the
hp online specs page, is my computer has a 256MB SDRAM memory limitation
currently.
(http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&tool=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&product=59910&dest_page=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&docname=bph05440).
Computer is eligible for upgrade to wxp, and meets basic requirements. Also
hp supports replacement to Pentium III650MHz (Socket370). Would that make
much of a difference, and would it be worthwhile considering before
upgrading? Any other options to let Wxp function reasonably well on my
system? (W98SE was @ 128MB was extremely slow prior to memory doubling.)
Increase harddrive? Overdrive processor upgrade? Local tech shop told me "my
5 yr old wasn't worth upgrading" and "upgrading only worthwhile within first
year" and "cheaper to go newer".
TIA to all, Janet

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> CD-RW's are cheap enough that it pays to have one, if only for occasional
> use..
>
> Your computer would handle XP but you need to up the memory to 512mb..
>
> Download and run the upgrade advisor..
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/advisor.mspx
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "jaguardmymail@yahoo.com" <jaguardmymailyahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:AD2DE2D8-6308-45E2-A5CF-B93882849743@microsoft.com...
> > 2-19-05 Since last post my preinstalled CD-RW writer plus gave up. What do
> > you gurus think about not replacing the CD-RW driver if I only use for
> > b/u's?
> > I now use Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u; it is
> > irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact,easy, and removable!
> > So is there any reason to replace the burner if I do not make CD's other
> > than for b/u? Would uninstallation be advised to free up a bay and some
> > harddrive space?
> > I upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my
> > browser reactivity. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/
> > unused programs and files but could purge deeper if necessary with
> > screensavers, themes, and the burner.
> > Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?.
> > Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run Wxp?
> > Is
> > there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
> > What is the opinion of "overdrive" processor upgrades, and is my processor
> > candidate, and if so where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp
> > 8665c
> > Pentium III, 600MHz
> > with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and 255MB
> > SDRAM

Looking at the HP support, I would agree with the tech shop.. the memory
limit is very restrictive, the processor change would cost as much as a new
system.. go for a system from a computer store that just sells the tower..
all of the other peripherals are ok, I assume..

As it stands, your computer would run XP but you may not be pleased with the
performance.. even removing the eye candy would not help too much..

With whatever you decide, I wish you luck..