Re-install XP format left garbage on disk?

QUESTION: Is there any way previous data could have survived a correct
re-format/re-install of XP Pro, booting from its installation CD?
BACKGND: After fatal corruption from an early release of Office Pro 2003 i
inflicted on my new XP Pro system, I booted from XP's installation CD,
deleted & re-created the only partition of 156+GB (NTFS) (with 8MG
unpartitioned space), re-installed XP Pro, & tossed the Office CD. On my
"clean" system, I see much garbled data in the MSN app I had to re-download
to use my MSN browser. Their techs swear the data viewed in their Calendar is
on my computer & not their server. Indeed it is data Calendar previously
imported from the buggy Outlook app. I am baffled, but want a "clean"
install. Thanks for any insights! (I'm on my 3rd re-install in 2 weeks &
getting very good at it, unfortunately)
2 answers Last reply
More about install format left garbage disk

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 04:31:01 -0800, Silver <Silver@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    Stupid as this sounds, but it is fact. You can install garbage by having a
    thumbprint on the CD.
    If the only version having that problem is yours, you've located the source. I
    keep a roll of toilet paper on the desk just for dirty CD's.
    Just finished a game that crashed in the same place every time. Thumbnail on
    the CD. uninstalled, cleaned CD, reinstalled, runs fine now.

    >QUESTION: Is there any way previous data could have survived a correct
    >re-format/re-install of XP Pro, booting from its installation CD?
    >BACKGND: After fatal corruption from an early release of Office Pro 2003 i
    >inflicted on my new XP Pro system, I booted from XP's installation CD,
    >deleted & re-created the only partition of 156+GB (NTFS) (with 8MG
    >unpartitioned space), re-installed XP Pro, & tossed the Office CD. On my
    >"clean" system, I see much garbled data in the MSN app I had to re-download
    >to use my MSN browser. Their techs swear the data viewed in their Calendar is
    >on my computer & not their server. Indeed it is data Calendar previously
    >imported from the buggy Outlook app. I am baffled, but want a "clean"
    >install. Thanks for any insights! (I'm on my 3rd re-install in 2 weeks &
    >getting very good at it, unfortunately)

    Perhaps your hard drive is damaged. You mentioned having to reformat and
    reinstall 3x over the past 2 weeks. Another issue could be if your version
    of XP does not have SP1 or SP2 imbedded then it can't format a drive larger
    that 137GB. Your drive is larger and therefore might not have been
    completely reformatted. You can create a slipstream version of XP by
    following the instructions here
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Silver" <Silver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > QUESTION: Is there any way previous data could have survived a correct
    > re-format/re-install of XP Pro, booting from its installation CD?
    > BACKGND: After fatal corruption from an early release of Office Pro 2003 i
    > inflicted on my new XP Pro system, I booted from XP's installation CD,
    > deleted & re-created the only partition of 156+GB (NTFS) (with 8MG
    > unpartitioned space), re-installed XP Pro, & tossed the Office CD. On my
    > "clean" system, I see much garbled data in the MSN app I had to
    re-download
    > to use my MSN browser. Their techs swear the data viewed in their Calendar
    is
    > on my computer & not their server. Indeed it is data Calendar previously
    > imported from the buggy Outlook app. I am baffled, but want a "clean"
    > install. Thanks for any insights! (I'm on my 3rd re-install in 2 weeks &
    > getting very good at it, unfortunately)

Windows XP CD-Rom Format