COD WaW "unhandled exception caught" fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
*NOT THE SOUND FIX*

i just bought cod waw and after numerous error messages, i found a fix to "unhandled exception caught" after the sound fix does not work.

insert the cod waw disc and click on "my computer"

right-click on the cod waw disc

click on directx

let it update

done

*note the directx update did not work from M$ for me*

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I have been struggling to find a fix for this error. The sound "fix" has not worked, updating punkbuster did not work, re-installing did not work, deleting my profile did not work, updating my sound card drivers did not work, updating my ethernet drivers did not work.

I have my fingers crossed for this. I really enjoy the game and would love to play online for more than 10 minutes before getting the crash :p

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
Well no go on the fix. :( However, after the directx update I was play for about 30min before the crash!

I'm not sure what to do now. Activision has still no replied to my tech support request, it has been over a week.

Yeah just to make things a bit weirder, with the rigs, I'm using a 22" Samsung 2253BW and a Logitech G5 as well. Lol.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
So I tried playing on a bunch of different servers today, after installing the directx from the COD: WaW disc. It's seems that the error only occurs on a few servers, the rest seem to be entirely fine. Not sure what this exactly means, but i'm glad to finally be able to play in the majority of servers.

Thanks for the help :)

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
the directx reinstall from cd didn't work for me either. I don't understand this problem. I've been playing CodWaW for 3 months and this started about a two weeks ago when the sound stopped working. and yes I had already used the work around by changing the sound quality settings. but then the sound came back and I get the "unhandled Exception Caught" error.

has anyone been able to fix this issue?

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
as if you were to install the 1.3 patch again, run it. it will ask you if u want to reinstall the patch and choose yes. the re-install the patch. also installing my sound drivers helped

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
can not reinstall 1.3 patch. I did update my sound drivers and no luck.

is this something to do with buffer memory?

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
im not sure but i wonder if treyarchs tech support could help, as there are alot of problems with this game and if ANYBODY knows how to fix it, its treyarch

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
I'm running an asus motherboard M3A78-EM with a triple core amd processor 8450,maybe. 4gig ram and a power color 4830 video card(amd).

I installed on my other hard drive windows 7 beta and then only codwaw. and I still got the unhandled exception caught error.

the odd thing is that I played the game with out a hitch for over 3 months. like the day after it came out, was it november? well anyway, when I patched and had the sound issue I changed my setting to the 24bit 48000 settings and then sound was ok. then out of the blue the sound goes out again. I had a work trip and when I returned 4 days later...bam , it worked again. then it started with the unhandled exception caught error not to long after.

one thing I think I've noticed is that I can play on servers without voice chat. and on the ones with voice chat I can play for a short period then unexpectedly the error shows itself. But I never hear anyone voice chatting. so I'm thinking that my issue is related to voice chat. and when someone engages voice chat that is when I'm getting the unhandled exception caught error.

does anyone else notice the same thing? If I'm right then it must have to do with my physical setup. hardware or bios perhaps. becasue if it was a registry issue then cod waw should have played without errors with the fresh windows 7 install.

I'm stumped!!! but not quiting!

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
So I haven't had a crash for almost a week.

I updated my realtek HD audio drivers directly from the realtek site, not from ASUS. Also, I enabled stereo mixing in my audio (recorder tab).

To enable stereo mixing in vista, go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording Tab (right click and check show disabled devices) from there enable stereo mixing.

Not sure why this works, but seems to be doing the trick so far.

ryanb213

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
do you have a mic? try plugging one in even if u wont use it (im not saying go buy one) because i know cod4 crashes for me without a mic plugged in. maybe thats your problem with voice chat or whatever........
dont waste your $$ on a mic because it might not be the problem, only a suggestion

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
It blows me away that the Treyarch and Activision do not even seem to be addressing this problem. So much for customer support, I'm so happy this game came as a freebie with my video card and I didn't pay money for it.

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
yeah well, I paid $50.

they are not addressing it because they don't have a solution.

the error doesn't have anything to do with my mic. what I was saying was that it is when voice chat is recieved from the game of other players.

I will try the mixing issue and let you know.

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
YES, it's official. we have a fix for the Unhandled Exception Caught error!!!

If your error stems from the voice chat enabled servers then this should work.

To enable stereo mixing in vista, go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording Tab (right click and check show disabled devices) from there enable stereo mixing.

good luck!

if you try this and it works for you, please post here to let everyone know.

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
BUMP!!!

Glad the fix works. I had read about a similar fix in another forum (sorry I don't recall which one, I've read so many), so I will not take credit for it.

Just spread the word everybody. Happy gaming!

Rbbrick

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
It doesnt work for me using 7057 release + Creative xFi board. It doesnt a tab you're referring too.
Thanks
Roger :(

Icyman

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Roger, use the right click botton while over the recording row. it will give you options. select show disabled devices.

not a tab, ok.

G

Icyman, i've tried what you said but it doesn't work for me, maybe its coz i have a crappy graphics card, i'm not sure ,heres wot it is:

ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
I know its rubbish but cod 4 works when i fixed the glitch. Please help :)

carson45

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
Ok I tried this fix, Ive tried all the others....and so far so good! I joined 3 different games played about 10 min a piece and no problems. I can even hear people talk now which i havent heard before. Thanks alot this needs to be posted on the web all over because this is the first spot I seen this fix. THANKS

shorttimer

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I have found that some maps do not download properly and this seems to cause an issue. Go to your maps folder for WAW
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Activision\CoDWaW\usermaps and delete the maps in that folder.

The next time you start WAW the map will download again.
It works for me and I hope it works for you.

zbiernacki

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I have the same problem. Here are the fault specs:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CoDWaWmp.exe
Application Version: 1.4.1144.0
Application Timestamp: 49dbf15c
Fault Module Name: pbcl.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 499c1d73
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00036782
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 2c64
Additional Information 2: 6b8d37ba529b51810a5fe302ae7c3468
Additional Information 3: 524c
Additional Information 4: 06791dc08abc9c47a2afac7444e21537

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

Will this help?

shorttimer

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
I still had a few times the unhandled exception occurred.

I looked at the bios and discovered Hyperthread was off by default. I turned it on and rebooted.
I cannot confirm but i have not had the error since i turned Hyperthread on.

Check your bios on system boot to see if it is on. Post here if it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.