Sign in with
Your question

Free Microsoft Anti virus/ Security software

Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2009 9:09:54 AM

Microsoft has finally released its free security software Essentials :o  .

Available for download at
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials

a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2009 10:08:23 AM

Hmm MS's attempts at security software in the past (defender etc) have not been that good. plenty of free AV software that works (AVG / Avast)
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2009 12:17:58 PM

This one's getting much better reviews so far... I think I'll try it on my Win7 machine! :)  It's supposed to be lightweight (means less memory used and faster boots) and simple enough for novices to understand while still offering advanced settings and control for experienced users.
Related resources
September 30, 2009 12:24:24 PM

I downloaded and tried it, although I do have a mainstream AV program, MSE took 2 hrs and 40 minutes to run a full scan, and it checked 840,000 items. I don't have anywhere near that many files on my system. Quick scan finished in approx two minutes but it didn't catch or remove any of the DATA MINER type cookies that some sites put on your system, items that my other AV program routinely finds and deletes. :fou: 
a b $ Windows 7
September 30, 2009 2:37:41 PM

mikey5802 said:
I downloaded and tried it, although I do have a mainstream AV program, MSE took 2 hrs and 40 minutes to run a full scan, and it checked 840,000 items. I don't have anywhere near that many files on my system. Quick scan finished in approx two minutes but it didn't catch or remove any of the DATA MINER type cookies that some sites put on your system, items that my other AV program routinely finds and deletes. :fou: 

If you don't mind my asking, what's your "other AV"?
October 2, 2009 8:48:26 PM

Bolbi said:
If you don't mind my asking, what's your "other AV"?

Trend Micro...
October 5, 2009 9:37:37 AM

AVG has this in it software.(AVGRSSTX.DLL )

We suggest you to remove AVGRSSTX.DLL from your computer as soon as possible. AVGRSSTX.DLL is Trojan/Backdoor. Kill the file AVGRSSTX.DLL and remove AVGRSSTX.DLL from Windows startup.
a b $ Windows 7
October 5, 2009 11:24:33 AM

mighttuss said:

We suggest you to remove AVGRSSTX.DLL from your computer as soon as possible. AVGRSSTX.DLL is Trojan/Backdoor. Kill the file AVGRSSTX.DLL and remove AVGRSSTX.DLL from Windows startup.

Unless you have proof please do not post misinformation that could cause a user to create a needless problem for themselves. :non: 
October 16, 2009 9:09:47 PM

mighttuss said:

I don't have the AVG anti-virus program...I have Trend Micro Internet Security and I dn't have the file AVGRSSTX.DLL on my system....
!