Magic TrackPad

Tags:
  • Mac OS X
Last response: in Mac Os X
October 2, 2011 2:27:25 AM

Any members using the Magic Track Pad and what are the pros and cons? Thanks

More about : magic trackpad

October 2, 2011 10:35:43 AM

Yep, I use one, it's the same as using a MBP TrackPad (but bigger), good for applications that make use of Gestures (like Safari) and rubbish for others (like Pages) where the MagicMouse is a better option.
m
l
October 2, 2011 11:49:04 AM

Yeahp, it simpy adds the convenience you have with your MacBook Pro's trackpad to the Mac Pro and iMac. It's a large surface for gesturing but the trackpad on your 13" MacBook Pro remains second to none. There's no benefit for you to get a Magic Trackpad unless you're planning on getting an external monitor and keyboard and want to compute with your MBP's lid closed.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 12:31:55 PM

For me, magic trackpad with Lion is an unbeatable combination. I now use it for almost everything, even though I do have a magic mouse.
m
l
October 3, 2011 2:41:37 AM

halcyon said:
Yeahp, it simpy adds the convenience you have with your MacBook Pro's trackpad to the Mac Pro and iMac. It's a large surface for gesturing but the trackpad on your 13" MacBook Pro remains second to none. There's no benefit for you to get a Magic Trackpad unless you're planning on getting an external monitor and keyboard and want to compute with your MBP's lid closed.
I thought it will help my severe wrist pain on my right hand by using it. Thanks
m
l
October 3, 2011 10:20:55 AM

It may, but I'm not sure it would more than using the MBP's own trackpad. You may also want to look at using an ergonomic mouse, if you're not doing so already... http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergmouse.htm
m
l
October 4, 2011 3:18:48 AM

halcyon said:
It may, but I'm not sure it would more than using the MBP's own trackpad. You may also want to look at using an ergonomic mouse, if you're not doing so already... http://www.fentek-ind.com/ergmouse.htm
I am using a mouse pad with a gel wrist on it. The ergonomic pad was not that good for me. Any more suggestions. Thanks Marv
m
l
October 4, 2011 11:37:16 AM

musical marv said:
I am using a mouse pad with a gel wrist on it. The ergonomic pad was not that good for me. Any more suggestions. Thanks Marv

Microsoft used to make a ergnomic mouse but it looks like it didn't sell well and they no longer make it. I think those listed at the Fentek site are probably some of your most ergonomic solutions today.
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:23:56 AM

halcyon said:
Microsoft used to make a ergnomic mouse but it looks like it didn't sell well and they no longer make it. I think those listed at the Fentek site are probably some of your most ergonomic solutions today.
Someone told me if i use the LION OS there is less pressure for my right wrist to have pain because there is not that much scrolling to do. Thanks Marv
m
l
October 6, 2011 11:23:14 AM

musical marv said:
Someone told me if i use the LION OS there is less pressure for my right wrist to have pain because there is not that much scrolling to do. Thanks Marv

I think someone is deceiving you. I can't see where scrolling has been reduced in Lion and I use it every day. If you're still using 10.6.8 that's great, its a solid OS. I don't think you're missing anything of consequence on 10.7. ...just my opinion.
m
l
October 7, 2011 2:42:37 AM

halcyon said:
I think someone is deceiving you. I can't see where scrolling has been reduced in Lion and I use it every day. If you're still using 10.6.8 that's great, its a solid OS. I don't think you're missing anything of consequence on 10.7. ...just my opinion.
Thanks I value your opinion quite a bit. I am just thinking about my wrist pain.
m
l
October 7, 2011 10:58:29 AM

musical marv said:
Thanks I value your opinion quite a bit. I am just thinking about my wrist pain.

How's the wrist pain while using your Mac Pro's touchpad? Is it less than using a conventional mouse?
m
l
October 8, 2011 2:25:44 AM

halcyon said:
How's the wrist pain while using your Mac Pro's touchpad? Is it less than using a conventional mouse?
I take a medication the doctor gave me a type of anti-inflammatory gel and therapy also. I scroll a lot reading the Huffington Post and other news also. I have 2 mousepads with gel which I use also. A mouse really does not alleviate the pain. Thanks Marv
m
l
October 11, 2011 2:42:37 AM

halcyon said:
If you were me personally would you sell your mbp that I bought 7 months ago account of this pain or keep it? Thanks Marv
m
l
October 11, 2011 3:03:23 AM

musical marv said:
If you were me personally would you sell your mbp that I bought 7 months ago account of this pain or keep it? Thanks Marv

That's hard to say. If its increasing the pain or causing further damage I'd say be careful. However, are you going to stop using a computer? I'd say continue to look into getting some more ergonomic input devices and see if that helps. I can't imagine not having a computer.

Now, could an iPad/tablet meet your needs and be more comfortable to use? Perhaps.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:19:35 PM

At the heart of it, the macbook pro is not an unusual laptop. You won't have a markedly different experience with other touchpads or configurations with the possible exception of an intellipoint cursor(Thinkpads.) Using an external mouse is probably the best bet. I know a lot of long time desktop users that simply don't use their touchpads because of wrist pain or habit.
I'd keep the laptop and carry an external mouse if it were me. I'd most likely get one of the gyroscopic mice so i could use it at any orientation. www.gyration.com
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:23:17 AM

halcyon said:
That's hard to say. If its increasing the pain or causing further damage I'd say be careful. However, are you going to stop using a computer? I'd say continue to look into getting some more ergonomic input devices and see if that helps. I can't imagine not having a computer.

Now, could an iPad/tablet meet your needs and be more comfortable to use? Perhaps.
I tried the i pad to small to view. Not for me at all. It hurts to sell this 7 month old MBP I have believe me. Thanks Marv
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:24:27 AM

starzty said:
At the heart of it, the macbook pro is not an unusual laptop. You won't have a markedly different experience with other touchpads or configurations with the possible exception of an intellipoint cursor(Thinkpads.) Using an external mouse is probably the best bet. I know a lot of long time desktop users that simply don't use their touchpads because of wrist pain or habit.
I'd keep the laptop and carry an external mouse if it were me. I'd most likely get one of the gyroscopic mice so i could use it at any orientation. www.gyration.com
I have a mouse and it stinks compared to the trackpad.Thanks
m
l
October 12, 2011 9:19:39 AM

musical marv said:
I tried the i pad to small to view. Not for me at all. It hurts to sell this 7 month old MBP I have believe me. Thanks Marv

Marv, I don't think you should sell your MacBook Pro. What will you use instead?
m
l
October 13, 2011 3:23:20 AM

halcyon said:
Marv, I don't think you should sell your MacBook Pro. What will you use instead?
Nothing what do you suggest? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
October 13, 2011 10:05:41 AM

musical marv said:
Nothing what do you suggest? Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd keep the computer and continue a search for a more ergonomic mouse. You'd miss your computer I think.
m
l
October 14, 2011 3:16:35 AM

halcyon said:
I'd keep the computer and continue a search for a more ergonomic mouse. You'd miss your computer I think.
Someone suggested the magic track pad.I hate the mouse really.Thanks
m
l
October 14, 2011 11:33:53 AM

musical marv said:
Someone suggested the magic track pad.I hate the mouse really.Thanks

I guess I'm not really seeing the big difference between the MacBook Pro's trackpad and the Magic TrackPad.
m
l
October 15, 2011 1:04:16 AM

The only alternative I can think of is a pen tablet. Most alternatives to the magic trackpad are far more unpleasant to use
m
l
October 15, 2011 2:58:38 AM

halcyon said:
I guess I'm not really seeing the big difference between the MacBook Pro's trackpad and the Magic TrackPad.
Thanks what is the correct way to use the track pad with your wrists? Straight or at a 45 degree angle? marv
m
l
October 15, 2011 12:35:47 PM

musical marv said:
Thanks what is the correct way to use the track pad with your wrists? Straight or at a 45 degree angle? marv

Oh, I don't think there's a "correct" way. I'd say whichever way is the most comfortable for you.
m
l
October 16, 2011 2:18:39 AM

halcyon said:
Oh, I don't think there's a "correct" way. I'd say whichever way is the most comfortable for you.
Truthfully which way do you use your track pad? Thanks
m
l
October 16, 2011 3:12:46 PM

musical marv said:
Truthfully which way do you use your track pad? Thanks

I place it directly to the right of my wireless keyboard and just use there...but I don't use it all that often really. I use my Logitech Performance MX mouse most of the time.
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:03:14 AM

halcyon said:
I place it directly to the right of my wireless keyboard and just use there...but I don't use it all that often really. I use my Logitech Performance MX mouse most of the time.
Someone wants to trade me the newest ipad 2 wifi for my 7 month old mbp plus 200 cash involved. Good deal or not? thanks Marv
m
l
October 17, 2011 3:13:01 AM

musical marv said:
Someone wants to trade me the newest ipad 2 wifi for my 7 month old mbp plus 200 cash involved. Good deal or not? thanks Marv

Not a good deal! Your laptop is worth way more than an iPad and they know it.
m
l
October 18, 2011 10:11:21 AM

halcyon said:
Thanks for your response back to me. I guess when you reach 67 years old your sense starts to crumble.I just don't like the i pad to small and no Ethernet Connection.I guess I will suffer with this arthritic pain.
m
l
October 20, 2011 2:54:46 AM

halcyon said:
what about the new MBA to buy. Lighter for me to carry.
m
l
October 21, 2011 2:42:28 AM

halcyon said:
What happened to your response? thanks Marv
m
l
October 23, 2011 1:56:48 AM

musical marv said:
what about the new MBA to buy. Lighter for me to carry.

Heya Marv, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Well, if you carry your laptop a lot the lighter MBA would make a difference...2.9lbs vs. 4.5lbs. Also, the screen is higher resolution on the MBA. However, if you're going to lose a bunch of money upgrading I'm not thinking it'd be worth it. The 13" you have is a nice laptop, but I understand the concerns with arthritis. :(  ...I doubt the MBA would help much with that though.
m
l
October 23, 2011 2:02:03 AM

halcyon said:
Heya Marv, sorry I didn't respond sooner. Well, if you carry your laptop a lot the lighter MBA would make a difference...2.9lbs vs. 4.5lbs. Also, the screen is higher resolution on the MBA. However, if you're going to lose a bunch of money upgrading I'm not thinking it'd be worth it. The 13" you have is a nice laptop, but I understand the concerns with arthritis. :(  ...I doubt the MBA would help much with that though.
Thanks I am sheer frustrated with this arthritis and am willing to do anything to keep my computer.I thought the MBA will be good for me? I really never carry the laptop at all.
m
l
October 23, 2011 2:10:36 AM

musical marv said:
Thanks I am sheer frustrated with this arthritis and am willing to do anything to keep my computer.I thought the MBA will be good for me? I really never carry the laptop at all.

Well, the MBA is a nice laptop but you already have a 13" MBP which is nice. Unless you really want that 1.6lb weight savings and the 1400x900 resolution (vs. 1280x800) I don't see a lot that would make it worth it...again, especially if you'd lose money.
m
l
October 24, 2011 2:49:16 AM

halcyon said:
Well, the MBA is a nice laptop but you already have a 13" MBP which is nice. Unless you really want that 1.6lb weight savings and the 1400x900 resolution (vs. 1280x800) I don't see a lot that would make it worth it...again, especially if you'd lose money.
Someone wants to buy this in Halifax Novia Scotia and je has only a Paypal account which I do not have. What would you do? Thanks
m
l
October 24, 2011 11:32:21 PM

musical marv said:
Someone wants to buy this in Halifax Novia Scotia and je has only a Paypal account which I do not have. What would you do? Thanks

I'd have to be paid before I shipped anything. Its pretty easy to create a Paypal account but I'd recommend seeing if you can get the same money from someone a little closer.
m
l
October 25, 2011 12:05:36 AM

Have you thought about a trackball? Logitech has a new one that's laser based. I use it, my wife now uses it, and my mom picked one up as well. In my personal experience nothing really beats them for doing regular things on the computer with minimal strain on your body.

It's called the M570 and they sell it at newegg or your local retailer. You can catch them for 35 USD on sale, and yes, they're mac compatible. Older models work just as great if you don't need the extra accuracy from the laser.
m
l
October 25, 2011 3:04:14 AM

halcyon said:
I'd have to be paid before I shipped anything. Its pretty easy to create a Paypal account but I'd recommend seeing if you can get the same money from someone a little closer.
He wants it shipped before it is paid into this pay pal account sounds like crap to me.The new MBP came out today what do you think about that? thanks Marv
m
l
October 30, 2011 1:01:02 AM

musical marv said:
He wants it shipped before it is paid into this pay pal account sounds like crap to me.The new MBP came out today what do you think about that? thanks Marv

I'd stay away from that. New MacBook Pros look good...they always seem to look good to me.
m
l
!