Port Forwarding question

nh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004

I have a Linksys Wireless Router (54G) with which I setup port
forwarding to port 3389 and the internal IP 192.168.1.101 to be able
to access remotely my main computer (Remote Desktop in WinXP Pro).

The problem that i have is that when i boot-up my computers they get
assigned different IP Addresses by the router each time (depending
upon the booting order??). how can i make my main computer's IP
address fixed, since the router is the one assigning the IP addresses?

thank you very much for your help,
NH

Lance

NH said the following on 9/2/2004 1:09 PM:

> I have a Linksys Wireless Router (54G) with which I setup port
> forwarding to port 3389 and the internal IP 192.168.1.101 to be able
> to access remotely my main computer (Remote Desktop in WinXP Pro).
>
> The problem that i have is that when i boot-up my computers they get
> assigned different IP Addresses by the router each time (depending
> upon the booting order??). how can i make my main computer's IP
> address fixed, since the router is the one assigning the IP addresses?
>
> thank you very much for your help,
> NH

What you want to do is set up a static IP address on your main computer.
This address will remain the same no matter what order you boot the
computers:

How to set a static IP address in Windows behind a Linksys Router
Answer ID 534
http://tinyurl.com/6t56m

Linksys defaults to assigning dynamic IP addresses starting at
192.168.1.100. I suggest giving your main computer a static IP address
below that range, eg, 192.168.1.50. This will eliminate the possibility
of a dynamic IP computer getting your static IP address.

Lance
*****

simply go to your network properties and assign yourself a static ip
address:

ip address: 192.168.1.50
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
dns: 192.168.1.1
gateway 192.168.1.1

If you have a laptop - checkout www.netswitcher.com

--

To reply via e-mail, remove the "-nospam-" from the reply to address
"NH" <NH@cox.com> wrote in message
>I have a Linksys Wireless Router (54G) with which I setup port
> forwarding to port 3389 and the internal IP 192.168.1.101 to be able
> to access remotely my main computer (Remote Desktop in WinXP Pro).
>
> The problem that i have is that when i boot-up my computers they get
> assigned different IP Addresses by the router each time (depending
> upon the booting order??). how can i make my main computer's IP
> address fixed, since the router is the one assigning the IP addresses?
>
> thank you very much for your help,
> NH

nh

Distinguished