Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 told me I had to get a license key, but I already have one.

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 26, 2010 4:23:13 PM

Hey guys,

I had a really strange problem this morning when I booted my computer. After the windows loading screen, just before the desktop appears, an information window appeared and told me "It appears your version of windows may be counterfeit" and then it game me two choice "buy key" or "ask later", then there was a strange little 0x0 at the bottom left of the window in this size of font, there was also a cancel button. I pressed cancel, and it gave me the desktop. I entered system info, and my cd key is still visible. As far as I am concerned I ordered this copy of Windows 7 through NCIX.com the computer store, and I've been using it for almost a year but never had this problem until today.

What's going here... am I the only one, is this a common bug with windows? Is somebody using my key to power a pirated version?

More about : windows told license key

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 4:26:24 PM

I've seen this happen with a couple of systems I hadn't used for a couple of months. What I did was to re-enter my key (Start -> right-click "Computer" and select "Properties" -> click the "Change Product Key" link at the bottom) and re-activated and it solved the problem.
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2010 6:28:22 PM

Failing that, give Microsoft a ring and they can check if blocked and explain to them that it is legit and they "may" issue a new key.
m
l
Related resources
September 4, 2010 6:39:50 AM

I thank you both for your help, but it seems like my problem might be related to a faulty SSD drive. Well... that's my big issue right now. So a windows re-install is in order here.
m
l
September 4, 2010 6:40:13 AM

Best answer selected by senvae.
m
l
!