need help with Motherboard damage.

hjhussain

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2003
I bought the following motherboard: Asus A7N8X Deluxe
while I was trying to fix the Heatsink I made a mistake and scratched the board towards the edge. some of the connections on the outside layer appear to be damaged (the first 6 or 7 from the edge) . I don't know if there are any important connections in the underneath layers and if they are damaged or not.

Is this kind of damage reparable? If so how?
and are there any special tools available to fix the heat sink on the CPU socket in a way that would decrease the chances of making such mistakes.

Thanks

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Generally, modern motherboards are not humanly repairable.

Does the board work? Does it pass diagnostics?

If yes, count your lucky stars.
If no, it's time for a new motherboard.

(and I doubt very much the warranty will cover this one.)

As for special tools, it depends on the heatsink but most AMD sinks can be mounted with a flat blade screwdriver. There are pockets in the ends of the spring clip into which a small screwdriver should fit... bend the bottom out slightly(pull the screwdriver toward the fan), push down and it should latch right up.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Guessing that the damage was caused by the tool you were using slipping off the heatsink clip, consider next time placing something over the board (like a PCI blanking plate) to take the impact.

I've noticed a couple of plastic stickers on my A7N8X which are there for just that purpose so you might be ok. The PCB's are coated with a varnish so it may be thats all thats damaged.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>