Problem communicating with server using XP

I just recently upgraded to win xp from win me. I was not able to register
xp or office through the internet. I needed to reinstall Norton anti-virus
2004 after the upgrade but there is a "problem communicating with server"
possibly due to an inactive internet connectivity. I also am not allowed at
the iTunes music store, again possibly due to an inactive connection (error
message). All this, yet I can still surf the web otherwise using internet
explore and I am still able to download files off the internet (e-mail
attachments, etc). I connect to broadband internet through a router and then
modem attached to a "primary" computer so there is only one IP address
between two computers. Haven't checked other computer yet. I never had a
problem with win me despite the same internet connections. Please help.
2 answers Last reply
More about problem communicating server

    look at this site
    http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
    peter
    "jeffwes" <jeffwes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just recently upgraded to win xp from win me. I was not able to register
    > xp or office through the internet. I needed to reinstall Norton
    > anti-virus
    > 2004 after the upgrade but there is a "problem communicating with server"
    > possibly due to an inactive internet connectivity. I also am not allowed
    > at
    > the iTunes music store, again possibly due to an inactive connection
    > (error
    > message). All this, yet I can still surf the web otherwise using internet
    > explore and I am still able to download files off the internet (e-mail
    > attachments, etc). I connect to broadband internet through a router and
    > then
    > modem attached to a "primary" computer so there is only one IP address
    > between two computers. Haven't checked other computer yet. I never had
    > problem with win me despite the same internet connections. Please help.

    An hour after posting, I realized that my zone alarms program wasn't on my
    program bar. I clicked on it, changed the trusted zone setting to medium
    instead of high, and I was able to register, and other programs were able to
    connect. I'm not sure why its not on the program bar after I start the
    computer up every time. Now I'll try figuring out how to get it to start up
    on its own. Thanks for the reply.
    Jeff

    "peterk" wrote:

    > look at this site
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
    > peter
    > "jeffwes" <jeffwes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just recently upgraded to win xp from win me. I was not able to register
    > > xp or office through the internet. I needed to reinstall Norton
    > > anti-virus
    > > 2004 after the upgrade but there is a "problem communicating with server"
    > > possibly due to an inactive internet connectivity. I also am not allowed
    > > at
    > > the iTunes music store, again possibly due to an inactive connection
    > > (error
    > > message). All this, yet I can still surf the web otherwise using internet
    > > explore and I am still able to download files off the internet (e-mail
    > > attachments, etc). I connect to broadband internet through a router and
    > > then
    > > modem attached to a "primary" computer so there is only one IP address
    > > between two computers. Haven't checked other computer yet. I never had
    > > problem with win me despite the same internet connections. Please help.

Windows XP Internet