Problem communicating with server using XP

February 19, 2005 4:57:05 PM

I just recently upgraded to win xp from win me. I was not able to register
xp or office through the internet. I needed to reinstall Norton anti-virus
2004 after the upgrade but there is a "problem communicating with server"
possibly due to an inactive internet connectivity. I also am not allowed at
the iTunes music store, again possibly due to an inactive connection (error
message). All this, yet I can still surf the web otherwise using internet
explore and I am still able to download files off the internet (e-mail
attachments, etc). I connect to broadband internet through a router and then
modem attached to a "primary" computer so there is only one IP address
between two computers. Haven't checked other computer yet. I never had a
problem with win me despite the same internet connections. Please help.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:19:59 AM

look at this site
http://www.homenethelp.com/connection-sharing.asp
peter
"jeffwes" <jeffwes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recently upgraded to win xp from win me. I was not able to register
> xp or office through the internet. I needed to reinstall Norton
> anti-virus
> 2004 after the upgrade but there is a "problem communicating with server"
> possibly due to an inactive internet connectivity. I also am not allowed
> at
> the iTunes music store, again possibly due to an inactive connection
> (error
> message). All this, yet I can still surf the web otherwise using internet
> explore and I am still able to download files off the internet (e-mail
> attachments, etc). I connect to broadband internet through a router and
> then
> modem attached to a "primary" computer so there is only one IP address
> between two computers. Haven't checked other computer yet. I never had
> problem with win me despite the same internet connections. Please help.
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:55:03 AM

An hour after posting, I realized that my zone alarms program wasn't on my
program bar. I clicked on it, changed the trusted zone setting to medium
instead of high, and I was able to register, and other programs were able to
connect. I'm not sure why its not on the program bar after I start the
computer up every time. Now I'll try figuring out how to get it to start up
on its own. Thanks for the reply.
Jeff

!