how to configure XP to make full use of available RAM

I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any great
change in file loading or right click menu opening on the desktop.

Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the available ram
or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is available to make uses
of.

Regards

Set the pagefile to 'Windows managed'.. the increased RAM will not
necessarily make programs open faster, but it will make everything
smoother..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any great
> change in file loading or right click menu opening on the desktop.
>
> Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the available
> ram
> or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is available to make
> uses
> of.
>
> Regards

Thanks for the suggestion,I had already done the same.

Another question how is it true that internet browsing is much faster in win
2000 professional then in win XP pro?
regards
Jagjeet Paul

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Set the pagefile to 'Windows managed'.. the increased RAM will not
> necessarily make programs open faster, but it will make everything
> smoother..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any great
> > change in file loading or right click menu opening on the desktop.
> >
> > Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the available
> > ram
> > or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is available to make
> > uses
> > of.
> >
> > Regards

Hi Jagjeet,

Here's an excellent article on Virtual Memory in Windows XP by Alex
Nichol MS-MVP:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Jagjeet wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz

I think you mean 512MB - MHz means 'megahertz' and is a unit of speed, not
capacity.

on salads.

If your memory wasn't overtaxed you'll see no change.

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
"Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F785BB1E-04C3-4728-8AA1-CFE1926EB4EC@microsoft.com...
>I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any great
> change in file loading or right click menu opening on the desktop.
>
> Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the available ram
> or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is available to make uses
> of.
>
> Regards

To be picky, as you often are.

frequency hertz Hz 1 s-1

not speed.

Though everything else is spot on in your post. I checked.
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message news:Go5Sd.41999$vI5.19454@fe06.highwinds-media.phx...
> Jagjeet wrote:
>> I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz
>
> I think you mean 512MB - MHz means 'megahertz' and is a unit of speed, not
> capacity.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

I think it is clear in the orig. post that the memory is 512MB and 333Mhz. U
guys seem to be nitpicking rather than answer the querry.

In news:F785BB1E-04C3-4728-8AA1-CFE1926EB4EC@microsoft.com,
Jagjeet <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any
> great change in file loading or right click menu opening on the
> desktop.

How much RAM did you have before? Assuming that it was 256MB or 384MB,
that's not surprising.

How much RAM you need for good performance depends on what apps you run, and
that's not the same for all of us. If you are currently using the page file
significantly, more memory will decrease or eliminate that usage, and
improve your performance. If you are not using the page file significantly,
more memory will do nothing for you.

If increasing your RAM did little or nothing for you, you presumably weren't
using the page file much.

> Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the
> available ram or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is
> available to make uses of.

No.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Shell/User
Please Reply to the Newsgroup

"Jagjeet" <Jagjeet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently upgraded my Ram to 512,333mhz but hardly i see any great
>change in file loading or right click menu opening on the desktop.
>
>Do i need to adjust the pagefile size to effecitively use the available ram
>or anything else to inform XP that much of the Ram is available to make uses
>of.
>
>Regards

Adding more memory can noticeably improve performance only if the
added memory results in reduced usage of the virtual memory paging
file. Therefore if the paging file is not currently being used to any
significant extent then adding more memory will not provide a
significant improvement.

Unfortunately there is no ready way of determing actual paging file
usage provided with Windows XP - it does not have an equivalent to the
'Memory Manager - Swap File In Use" reporting provided by the System
Monitor utility in Windows 95/98/Me.

There is a free utility that you can download and run which will
provide this information for you. It was written by MVP Bill James and
you can get if from
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm or from
http://billsway.com/notes_public/WinXP_Tweaks/

If that utility shows actual page file usage of 50 mb or more on a
regular basis then that is indicative of fairly significant paging
file activity. Adding more RAM will reduce or even eliminate entirely
this activity thereby improving performance.

This apples regardless of how much or how little RAM is currently
installed in the computer, at least up to the 4 gb RAM maximum for
Windows XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--