Robert

I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and quarantined
and erased.
Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or will I
have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?
--
Thanks for any help ----
Robert

Robert

I may have "fumbled" towards a solution.
Coulldn't I send the other files as a list to either another CD-RW, or to
the Hard Drive, then erase the CD-RW and burn the other programs back to the
disk.
One question I'm still not sure of though, how can I tell if erasing the bad
location won't affect the other programs?? As in sharing locations and
tasks.
I really appreciate your time and assistance.
Robert

"Robert" wrote:

> I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and quarantined
> and erased.
> Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
> shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
> I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
> Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or will I
> have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?
> --
> Thanks for any help ----
> Robert

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Unless you're using a packet drive (which permits using a CD-RW like a
magnetic media), you've hit on exactly the right solution. Copy off the
other files, erase the media, and reburn. Whether loss of the bad file
affects anything else depends entirely on what kind of file it is - part of
a program? a data file?
--

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I may have "fumbled" towards a solution.
> Coulldn't I send the other files as a list to either another CD-RW, or to
> the Hard Drive, then erase the CD-RW and burn the other programs back to
> the
> disk.
> One question I'm still not sure of though, how can I tell if erasing the
> bad
> location won't affect the other programs?? As in sharing locations and
> tasks.
> I really appreciate your time and assistance.
> Robert
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and
>> quarantined
>> and erased.
>> Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
>> shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
>> I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
>> Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or
>> will I
>> have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?
>> --
>> Thanks for any help ----
>> Robert

Robert

GTS ...
Thanks for your prompt reply.
It's showing up in a zip folder, but the actually program has an extension
named ".fil" ---
There is one that has an execute ( .exe ) extension, but I'd" rather zap it
and take my chance the others will work. Most are trialware and shareware
small programs I downloaded ( and probably how I picked up the bug ), and
had been saving them to CD's. I'm amused and the longest updates to XP
platform that came out this past week ... seems my pc was more stable before
that.
Once again, thanks for the help
---Robert

---GTS wrote:

> Unless you're using a packet drive (which permits using a CD-RW like a
> magnetic media), you've hit on exactly the right solution. Copy off the
> other files, erase the media, and reburn. Whether loss of the bad file
> affects anything else depends entirely on what kind of file it is - part of
> a program? a data file?
> --
>
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I may have "fumbled" towards a solution.
> > Coulldn't I send the other files as a list to either another CD-RW, or to
> > the Hard Drive, then erase the CD-RW and burn the other programs back to
> > the
> > disk.
> > One question I'm still not sure of though, how can I tell if erasing the
> > bad
> > location won't affect the other programs?? As in sharing locations and
> > tasks.
> > I really appreciate your time and assistance.
> > Robert
> >
> > "Robert" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and
> >> quarantined
> >> and erased.
> >> Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
> >> shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
> >> I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
> >> Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or
> >> will I
> >> have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?
> >> --
> >> Thanks for any help ----
> >> Robert

Robert

"GTS" wrote:

> Unless you're using a packet drive (which permits using a CD-RW like a
> magnetic media), you've hit on exactly the right solution. Copy off the
> other files, erase the media, and reburn. Whether loss of the bad file
> affects anything else depends entirely on what kind of file it is - part of
> a program? a data file?
> --
>
> "Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I may have "fumbled" towards a solution.
> > Coulldn't I send the other files as a list to either another CD-RW, or to
> > the Hard Drive, then erase the CD-RW and burn the other programs back to
> > the
> > disk.
> > One question I'm still not sure of though, how can I tell if erasing the
> > bad
> > location won't affect the other programs?? As in sharing locations and
> > tasks.
> > I really appreciate your time and assistance.
> > Robert
> >
> > "Robert" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and
> >> quarantined
> >> and erased.
> >> Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
> >> shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
> >> I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
> >> Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or
> >> will I
> >> have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?
> >> --
> >> Thanks for any help ----
> >> Robert

At last Resort try this

Open Wordpad

Write a sentence in word pad
Save the file as a TXT file , But remember where u saved it

open windows Explorer
Rename the TXT file you made to the Same Name As the one you want to Get
rid of on the Cd-rw
you will get an ERROR that says something about Changing the File extention
do it anyways

Now Take that renamed file and Try to Save it To the Cd-rw.. It may
OVERWRITE the VIRUS file and make it useless If it overwrites it, Then
it isnot a Virus anymore !!

Robert wrote:
> I recently had a small virus that my virus protector trapped and quarantined
> and erased.
> Before it did, I had downloaded some programs on a CD-RW and I scanned it
> shortly after, and the virus showed up on the CD.
> I have tried to erased from the CD, but it won't work.
> Is there ANY way to just get rid of this small file bug on the CD, or will I
> have to totally erase the CD-RW, and start over again?

For 2 bucks throw the damn CD away and use a new one..

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)