jamesdcarroll

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
My new motherboard has three connectors: CPU, AGP, and Sys. The CPU one seems pretty straight-forwaurd, but I have a question about the other 2.

Oh before we start:
P4 2.66
ATI 9700 AIW
Shuttle AS45GT/R Mobo
Enermax 465W PSU

First, I have two unused connectors, but 4 fans. At the store they have these "Y" connectors for connecting two fans to one connector. Are these any problem? I'm 99.999999999% they are ok, I just wanna check.

Second, my vid card has it own power connect and the fan is connected to the vid card board, thus freeing the one on the MB. This is just like the other ones, right? I could split it off for my other two fans, right?

Sorry to be such a "nervous nelly". Life sure was easier when Dell did all the thinking, but I wouldn't trade my new machine for anything they could offer.

Thank you very much!

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I would not suggest you try running 2 fans off one 3 pin motherboard connector. If you pull too much current you will end up damaging the motherboard which will void your warranty.

Leave the VGA the way it is. You might void your warranty if you mess with it.

Hook your case fans to a disk drive power connector with Y adaptors, not to the motherboard. A stalled case fan is seldom immediately disastrous, in fact people have run for months with stalled case fans.

Hook the CPU fan to the motherboard. It's the only one that really needs monitoring anyway.

Leave the two VGA and SYS headers on your motherboard open. This too is a harmless thing to do.

--->It ain't better if it don't work<---