Dual CPU for use with cubase??

JonSwift

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
I have a project in mind.

I write music using Cubase SX. I've been thinking of building myself a new PC. Cubase uses a plugin environment called "VST" for those who don't know, it allows you to integrate synths and other effects in with the mother app. The more processing power the more VST plug ins you can use at once. I immediately thought of a dual processor system. I have been constantly building my current PC for a few years now, although until a week ago I knew nothing of the dualie world. After much research I found that A dual CPU only really helps you out when you have multiple apps running (unless its a dual optimized app, wich cubase is not). Does anybody have any experience with Cubase on a dual CPU system? Do the VST plugs get distributed between the two CPUs, or do they factor in as a part of cubase and therefor are forced to all run on the same CPU. That would in effect make the whole dual dream a waste of money, since I would use the computer as a dedicated audio PC, and not be running any other apps.

And a side note...
Assumeing I go with a dualie, does anybody know if there's a dual CPU board with the canterwood chipset on it? Serial ATA looks to be a big benifet, and as far as I can find, canterwood's the only board that supports it on board (or am I wrong?).

Thanks in advance to anybody who can point me in the right direction.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I'm not so sure that you would benefit from a dual system with Cubase. Unless they recently started to support duals, Steinberg usually writes specifically for the current Intel desktop processors. Nowadays that means a p4. From reading interviews with the man himself he stated (upon the first full VST release (version 9 wasn't it) that their main focus has changed from mac to intel partly because of userbase, but also because the extensions are well suited for their purposes. Anyways, I hope this helps..

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.