Sign in with
Your question

My First Question..

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2003 7:27:14 AM

Hello all, this is my first post on these boards. I am glad I found this resorce. So, without further delay, on to my questions...

I am looking to build a new system and I have been researching various forums for information on all the new mobo's and RAM, and cpu's that are out, and I need some advice from users of the current technology. This means you...

Let me start by saying I have NO plans to overclock anything, and much of what I come across seems to relate in one way or another to overclocking, making it difficult to get an accurate picture of the performance of the items in question. I want a mobo that is not finiky about RAM, I plan to use the good stuff, any recommendations for RAM are appreciated as well. Planning on going with DDR333.

I am looking to build a system that is at least 2.0 GHz but no more then 2.4 GHz. I will not skimp on the mobo. The system will be for home use; gamming, internet, video editing, some business applications. In particular, I play DAoC an online roleplaying game that gets serious lag at times with my current setup; 900 MHz T-Bird with 512 RAM, 32 MB GeForce2 MX.

As far as P4 mobo's go, I don't think I need a Granite Bay chipset, the E7205 I believe, I was thinking the 845PE would be sufficient as this will support up to 3.06GHz if I'm not mistaken. Is there a better choice on chipset? I am not averse to spending up to $150 on the mobo. If I understand correctly, the new Canterwood/Springdale chipsets will only support the fastest cpu's avaiable, so that is not an option. What manufacturer(s) do you recommned? How do the SIS 655 chipsets stack up?

On the dark side, an AMD system, seems to be nVidia nForce2 mobo's are the order of the day. Am considering a 2400+ cpu, what mobo manufacturer do you recommend? I have read many horror stories about components, RAM not working in these boards, and corrupted BIOS. Was that problem resolved with later revisions?

Finally, the video card I am looking at is the GeForce4 Ti 4200 128 MB.

Sorry for the length of my post, and thank you in adavance for you input.

Stone Monkey...

More about : question

April 23, 2003 8:21:37 AM

Well, not sure why you need to limit your CPU at 2.4GHz though but if that's what you want:

CPU
Intel: Pentium IV 2.4GHz Northwood
AMD: Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08GHz Thoroughbred-B

Motherboard
Intel: Abit IT7 MAX2 (i845PE)
AMD: MSI K7N2-L (nForce2)

RAM
Intel: Corsair XMS2700 CL2 512MB
AMD: Corsair XMS2700 CL2 256MB x2 sticks

Graphic
Both: ATi Radeon 9500 Pro

These would give you a performance system without overclocking.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
April 23, 2003 9:15:54 AM

Thank you for the reply. As for why 2.4GHz upper limit, it is not that I want to limit myself to 2.4, it was a price issue more then anything else.
April 23, 2003 11:23:56 AM

I see, just to remind you that even the fastest Athlon XP 3000+ is running at 2.16GHz, so the price issue is only applicable to Intel CPU.

You never know how stupid you are until you have done something stupid enough for you to realize it.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
!