Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Far Cry 2 after DX10 is enabled, unplayable on new Core2

Last response: in Video Games
March 15, 2009 6:35:46 PM

Hey all

I'm having trouble with Far Cry 2 and I'm wondering if it's the game or my new build. My previous rig was a SKT 939 X2 4400 with 2GB of ram. I could play FC2 on high with no trouble and even played it with DX10 enabled (ran like junk but I could still enter the game). I just upgraded to the system below and now I can't even get to the menu it's so laggy. The benchmark also freezes and crashes during the load. Surely my current system can handle this, is this a problem with the game or something going on with my computer?

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R P45
G-Skill 4GB DDR2 1066
XFX 9800GT 512MB
Enermax Noisetaker 485W
WD Cavier 250GB 16MB cache
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
March 15, 2009 8:03:45 PM

The first thing I would do is go into the nvidia control panel and turn off vsync. then I would make all settings point to "let application decide". Then I would select single monitor vs whatever it's set to. Pre-rendered frames to at least 3.

Make sure in game settings aren't overly demanding. FarCry2 is tough on cards...also that card you're running isn't the greatest and DX10 will hit it a little harder than it would in DX9. If physics is enabled turn it off.

You have enough memory.... but the processor isn't the fastest neither..... but in this case shouldn't be an overwhelming factor but might have a dual core vs quad core hurt...... I think the quad works better here.

I use one of those mother boards..... good choice.

For upgrades when you can........ gtx260 at least......... no 4870/512 card. FarCry2 slays it.
!