Mar 17, 2009
This seems like a problem that I've seen all over the web. I've built a new PC:

Intel i7 920
EVGA X58
EVGA 295 GTX
4 GB Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
Direct X10

Is the direct x 10 really the problem, are there any other known problems and solutions that i have not found. With this rig the game still runs at only about 10 FPS on very high settings. My screen resolution is only 1024x768 could this be a problem as well?

evo8306

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
DX9 wont do anything, turning off sli wont do anything, no matter what setting i put it on (low, medium, high) i always get the same framerate.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
hmm i know this isnt super helpful but i just built a similar system for my bro

i7 920 OC @ 3.6 Ghz
ATI 4870 x2
6GB DDR 3 tri channle
vista ultimate 64 bit
dx 10

at very high and AA x 2 , 1440 x 900 we get an average of 40 FPS

id make sure the game was set to full screen, that seemed to reduce the average FPS a bit when it wasnt ticked

evo8306

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
It seems that almost every game is running slow, spore i can only get about 20 fps. Could it be that the CPU isn't processing correctly and it's bottlenecking the card, if so how would i fix that?

evo8306

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
because i dont have the money yet to buy the new monitor, i was going to right away, then i hit a dip in money, now are you here to help me out or question me

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
actually the monitor is part of the problem, running at that low res will use your CPU more than your Graphics card, the CPU will limit your games. get a friend to bring you over a hi res monitor and try that.

*facepalm* So, a LOWER resolution requires more work? Sure, the GFX card has less to do, but its not like the CPU has to do extra work at a lower res...

I'm guessing really bad vid card drivers. Vantage scores?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
If he's running the windows plain vanilla driver I doubt the game would even run.

Do any frame issues with any other games bearing in mind that should be getting uber frame rates with that video card and at that resolution? If you suspect other games aren't performing as well as thy should uninstall the card and drivers and reinstall the latest forceware driver from Nvidia. If it's only Crysis that plays like a hog then uninstall the game and reinstall it.

If none of that fixes it try using a different PCi-ex 16x slot.

evo8306

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
i have a 1000W thermaltake psu, im running on the latest drivers from nvidia, every game i try is preforming horribly, i can only get a max of like 30 frames out of spore. evga said the monitor was the problem that at that low of resolution the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu but i've heard a ton of people, including a computer engineer, say that is not the problem.

gamerk316 how do your run vantage i tried to do the free trail but it wont let me do anything after they granted the trail to me

There should be a button somewhere to run a benchmark test...

I don't use it, but its a good way to get an overall view of performance. In the meantime, try running a CPU benchmark utility like SuperPi. We need to figure out where the issue is.

Again, a low resolution won't add extra work to the CPU, it just makes the CPU do more IN COMPARISION to the GPU. Hence, why low res testing is such a good way to gauge a CPU's performance. But a low resolution will NEVER slow a system down if that resolution is native to the moniter.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005

And this is why every CPU test you see that is benchmarked with games they use a low resolution so the GFX doesnt come into play...

put AA and AF on maximum and try a higher res.... just trust me. Then if the games do not speed up there is something else at fault either power or GFX related.

when you run games at a low resolution the graphics card offloads most of the work to the CPU therefore the CPU becomes the bottleneck, especially on the games that you have listed as trying....

No, No, NO! No work is offloaded from the GPU to the CPU at lower res. There is simply less work for the GPU to do (less advanced rendering effects), so the CPU does more work in comparison (hence, the CPU becomeing the bottleneck).

Lowering res will NOT give the CPU any extra work; nothing is offloaded from the GPU to the CPU.

Give 3dmark scores, and we'll get an idea where the problem is located.

evo8306

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
sorry ive been away

ive given the systems specs throughout this forum but i cant get 3dmark to work for me. i get a trial, download the software, and when i boot it up, it just asks me for a registration key that was never given to me

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
its the drivers. there is NO reason other than drivers for this problem. if you installed the newest drivers, you forgot to uninstall older ones or there was a problem. drivers drivers drivers drivers.

Or a bad PSU, overheating card, overheating processer, botched OS install...

Status
Not open for further replies.