March 16, 2009 10:23:41 PM

This seems like a problem that I've seen all over the web. I've built a new PC:

Intel i7 920
EVGA X58
EVGA 295 GTX
4 GB Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit
Direct X10

Is the direct x 10 really the problem, are there any other known problems and solutions that i have not found. With this rig the game still runs at only about 10 FPS on very high settings. My screen resolution is only 1024x768 could this be a problem as well?
March 16, 2009 11:13:44 PM

DX9 wont do anything, turning off sli wont do anything, no matter what setting i put it on (low, medium, high) i always get the same framerate.
March 16, 2009 11:51:38 PM

hmm i know this isnt super helpful but i just built a similar system for my bro

i7 920 OC @ 3.6 Ghz
ATI 4870 x2
6GB DDR 3 tri channle
vista ultimate 64 bit
dx 10

at very high and AA x 2 , 1440 x 900 we get an average of 40 FPS

id make sure the game was set to full screen, that seemed to reduce the average FPS a bit when it wasnt ticked

Related resources
March 17, 2009 8:50:44 PM

It seems that almost every game is running slow, spore i can only get about 20 fps. Could it be that the CPU isn't processing correctly and it's bottlenecking the card, if so how would i fix that?
March 17, 2009 9:03:45 PM

You have a EVGA 295 GTX with a 1024x768 monitor....
March 17, 2009 9:53:40 PM

so your saying the small monitor is the problem?
March 17, 2009 9:54:57 PM

No but why the hell would you get an ultra high end graphics card and play on such a small monitor?
March 18, 2009 1:27:21 AM

because i dont have the money yet to buy the new monitor, i was going to right away, then i hit a dip in money, now are you here to help me out or question me
March 18, 2009 7:12:30 AM

actually the monitor is part of the problem, running at that low res will use your CPU more than your Graphics card, the CPU will limit your games. get a friend to bring you over a hi res monitor and try that.
March 18, 2009 8:01:00 AM

A larger monitor won't help if it is performing this badly at low resolution if anything he should be getting very high frame rates.

OP have updated your video drivers?
March 18, 2009 12:52:02 PM

Flakes said:
actually the monitor is part of the problem, running at that low res will use your CPU more than your Graphics card, the CPU will limit your games. get a friend to bring you over a hi res monitor and try that.

*facepalm* So, a LOWER resolution requires more work? Sure, the GFX card has less to do, but its not like the CPU has to do extra work at a lower res...

I'm guessing really bad vid card drivers. Vantage scores?
March 18, 2009 1:32:08 PM

I suspect that the OP hasn't installed any drivers and is just running windows ones.
March 18, 2009 3:37:36 PM

If he's running the windows plain vanilla driver I doubt the game would even run.

Do any frame issues with any other games bearing in mind that should be getting uber frame rates with that video card and at that resolution? If you suspect other games aren't performing as well as thy should uninstall the card and drivers and reinstall the latest forceware driver from Nvidia. If it's only Crysis that plays like a hog then uninstall the game and reinstall it.

If none of that fixes it try using a different PCi-ex 16x slot.
March 18, 2009 4:27:03 PM

Hold up. whats your PSU?
March 18, 2009 6:38:50 PM

i have a 1000W thermaltake psu, im running on the latest drivers from nvidia, every game i try is preforming horribly, i can only get a max of like 30 frames out of spore. evga said the monitor was the problem that at that low of resolution the cpu is bottlenecking the gpu but i've heard a ton of people, including a computer engineer, say that is not the problem.

gamerk316 how do your run vantage i tried to do the free trail but it wont let me do anything after they granted the trail to me
March 18, 2009 7:18:18 PM

There should be a button somewhere to run a benchmark test...

I don't use it, but its a good way to get an overall view of performance. In the meantime, try running a CPU benchmark utility like SuperPi. We need to figure out where the issue is.

Again, a low resolution won't add extra work to the CPU, it just makes the CPU do more IN COMPARISION to the GPU. Hence, why low res testing is such a good way to gauge a CPU's performance. But a low resolution will NEVER slow a system down if that resolution is native to the moniter.
March 19, 2009 9:55:22 AM

gamerk316 said:
There should be a button somewhere to run a benchmark test...

I don't use it, but its a good way to get an overall view of performance. In the meantime, try running a CPU benchmark utility like SuperPi. We need to figure out where the issue is.

Again, a low resolution won't add extra work to the CPU, it just makes the CPU do more IN COMPARISION to the GPU. Hence, why low res testing is such a good way to gauge a CPU's performance. But a low resolution will NEVER slow a system down if that resolution is native to the moniter.

And this is why every CPU test you see that is benchmarked with games they use a low resolution so the GFX doesnt come into play...

put AA and AF on maximum and try a higher res.... just trust me. Then if the games do not speed up there is something else at fault either power or GFX related.

when you run games at a low resolution the graphics card offloads most of the work to the CPU therefore the CPU becomes the bottleneck, especially on the games that you have listed as trying....
March 22, 2009 1:33:58 AM

No, No, NO! No work is offloaded from the GPU to the CPU at lower res. There is simply less work for the GPU to do (less advanced rendering effects), so the CPU does more work in comparison (hence, the CPU becomeing the bottleneck).

Lowering res will NOT give the CPU any extra work; nothing is offloaded from the GPU to the CPU.

Give 3dmark scores, and we'll get an idea where the problem is located.
March 23, 2009 11:42:35 AM

but but its an i7...show me a game that will bottleneck it and ill give you a penny to buy yourself something pretty with.
March 23, 2009 4:31:40 PM

To the OP: we need some system specs to get an idea of whats going on here: PSU and 3dMark scores would help a ton.
March 24, 2009 5:42:27 AM

sorry ive been away

ive given the systems specs throughout this forum but i cant get 3dmark to work for me. i get a trial, download the software, and when i boot it up, it just asks me for a registration key that was never given to me
March 24, 2009 11:38:16 AM

Whats your PSU then?
March 24, 2009 1:38:46 PM

its the drivers. there is NO reason other than drivers for this problem. if you installed the newest drivers, you forgot to uninstall older ones or there was a problem. drivers drivers drivers drivers.
March 24, 2009 3:15:56 PM

werxen said:
its the drivers. there is NO reason other than drivers for this problem. if you installed the newest drivers, you forgot to uninstall older ones or there was a problem. drivers drivers drivers drivers.

Or a bad PSU, overheating card, overheating processer, botched OS install...
March 24, 2009 3:46:33 PM

hamster crapping on the RAM.....
March 24, 2009 4:03:33 PM

^ lol yeah it could be anything, maybe intel forgot one super important transistor!

but seriously, format the HD completely and update the bios + drivers. seriously your rig is the bomb diggity - it has to be software side.

im inclined to think if it was hardware based you would notice a huge problem such as shut downs or restarts.
March 24, 2009 7:34:15 PM

Maybe if someone who uses 3dmark can explain to him how to get it to work? And I REALLY want the PSU listed...its a prime suspect right now.
March 26, 2009 4:35:26 AM

evo8306 said:
sorry ive been away

ive given the systems specs throughout this forum but i cant get 3dmark to work for me. i get a trial, download the software, and when i boot it up, it just asks me for a registration key that was never given to me

Dude somethings broken you got a pretty fast rig there is no reason for your problem other than a driver hasnt been installed or you got a bunk video card
March 26, 2009 4:42:09 AM

not true just built a rig phenom II x4 940 denab asus motherboard m3a79 t deluxe 8 gig OCZ 1066 ddr2( i know my 1st sets heatsink got in the way of cpu heatsink so got some 1 without fat heatsink and just decided to move the other 2 down the line), nvida 9800 and ht omega claro plus oh and a massive 140mm thermaltyke cpu fan. but i didnt notice any thing wrong except woul occasionally slow down and chug a lug in some games then one day did a full diag on hardware and had bad capacitor on motherboard switch to M4a79 deluxe and my machine is like a dream if had extra grand wouldve opted i7
March 27, 2009 2:24:33 AM

its a 1000w psu thermaltake, everything else runs fine except for games, but i've noticed that when i play games the cpu does no work at all, which reinforces the belief that the low res is causing the cpu to put all the stress on the gpu
March 27, 2009 11:12:56 AM

evo8306 said:
its a 1000w psu thermaltake, everything else runs fine except for games, but i've noticed that when i play games the cpu does no work at all, which reinforces the belief that the low res is causing the cpu to put all the stress on the gpu

Wrong, but informative. Its sounding like the CPU may be not running 100%...

Download CPUz and give us a screenshot of your system (preferably from I site my company doesn't block...I hate not seeing screenshots.)
March 27, 2009 4:41:54 PM

do you really think the cpu is limited somehow? how is that even possible?
March 27, 2009 5:04:08 PM

I think a clean installation of vista will fix it.
because I think your problem is the drivers, be sure to install the drives in order, first of all the mobo drivers, then the vista updates, then GPU drivers.

Something similar happened to me and I seriously thought my ati 4850x2 was broken, I couldn't play CoD4 with medium setting in a 1024 res, I was getting like 10fps.

But after a clean installation everything is working fine since then. If after that you have the same problem then try maybe a different Graphic card and see the performance. Good Luck :) 
March 27, 2009 5:28:53 PM

Sounds like bad video hardware to me. Try another card if you can (buy and return if needed).
March 27, 2009 5:51:45 PM

gamerk i will get some pictures up of the cpu-z and the computer itself

werxen the cpu isn't limited it just seems like it's doing nothing when i run a game

jassao im definitly going to try the clean installation tonight
March 8, 2010 12:53:02 PM

evo8306 said:
gamerk i will get some pictures up of the cpu-z and the computer itself

werxen the cpu isn't limited it just seems like it's doing nothing when i run a game

jassao im definitly going to try the clean installation tonight

hey,i know this is an acient post but what the heck was the problem? i
have a 295 gtx on a m4a79 deluxe board/phenom 2 940 and it blows
your results away,which it shouldnt?let me know what happened please.

and if you never got anywhere i have some idea's
March 8, 2010 2:32:24 PM

As it was nearly a year ago that this thread was started I doubt the OP will return to answer your questions.
!