Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How do I install Far Cry 2 without a DVD drive?

Last response: in Video Games
March 16, 2009 10:49:26 PM

The Far Cry disk is a DVD-ROM and my DVD drive screwed up on me, I cant buy a new one at the moment. Is there any way to install Far Cry 2 without a DVD drive? Any way at all? It sucks so much to have a new game and not be able to play it :fou: 

EDIT: I have a spare CD-RW drive if that maters. Just throwing that out there, maybe there's a way to emulate DVD drives?

More about : install cry dvd drive

March 16, 2009 11:31:19 PM

Bad news.. CD drives are unable to "emulate" dvd drives. Only other option is to buy it online / download via STEAM....
March 16, 2009 11:35:25 PM

ulysses35 said:
Bad news.. CD drives are unable to "emulate" dvd drives. Only other option is to buy it online / download via STEAM....

Awesome I can download it threw STEAM? Okay how can I do that?
Related resources
March 16, 2009 11:36:37 PM

ulysses35 said:

Far Cry 2 is not a game you want to buy twice.
March 17, 2009 5:36:57 AM

djcoolmasterx said:
Far Cry 2 is not a game you want to buy twice.

just curious, was the game not so good, what exactly sucks?
March 17, 2009 7:35:26 AM

You could torrent the game. Then put in the CD key that came with game.
And it wouldn't be stealing because you already bought the game.
March 17, 2009 7:47:10 AM

Repetative and dull missions, bad plot, bad ending, awful AI, poor controls(no prone), rubbish physics(all scripted) ect. It is an ok game, its just a massive missed oppertunity because ubisoft decided to rush it.

Then there are the bugs, one of the worst being a bug that results in not being to get through certain doors and stopping people progressing. Every time I look on the Farcry2 support forums I see a new bug.

Other annoyances include releasing the game without working widescreen FOV, no SDK, trying to sell the "fortunes pack" and more.

I own 2 copies of the game, one from a store and the other came with my graphics card which I had planed to resell but as it has no box I decided not to bother as new boxed copies are going for only £15.
March 17, 2009 7:56:51 AM

hmm, by scripted physics, do you mean that when something explodes, it's always the same way each time for each particle expelled out of the explosions?

Crysis had an independent physic system, right?
March 17, 2009 2:27:26 PM

Yeah I wouldn't purchase Far Cry 2 over Steam if you already bought the game.

For future purposes, I'd honestly suggest you just buy a DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive for your computer. You're going to need one for just about every game you'll ever buy in the future. Not many games come on multiple CD-ROM disks anymore.

Truth be told, you can buy a DVD-RW drive online for cheaper than you can buy Far Cry 2.

As an example, here's an HP drive at NewEgg.com. I'm not saying to buy this specific drive, but using it as an example:

HP DVD+R/RW $24.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
March 18, 2009 11:02:59 AM

Can't you enter your CD key into STEAM and then download the game? I haven't done any research but I thought you could enter non-steam games into steam and then use steam to manage them... I could be way off, I only saw this once and never really looked into it.
March 18, 2009 11:12:24 AM

No, that only works with a few games. Far Cry 2 is not one of them.
March 18, 2009 4:26:21 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
No, that only works with a few games. Far Cry 2 is not one of them.

I wish they could allow that more often though...would save me a lot of hassle.
March 18, 2009 4:57:11 PM

that sucks... I mean, i tried to do the same thing with Crysis, cause i figured Steam has Crysis for download. But, it didn't work.

Or is it that my copy was one of the earlier ones made in 2007?
March 18, 2009 9:48:11 PM

djcoolmasterx said:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?s=c7d31...

List of games that will work

That's it? i was expecting like, every game on Steam should have a CD key, but...

that's only a page! what about Crysis and the other games?

well, if there's a way to convert my CD key into a Steam-accepted format, that would be awesome.
March 19, 2009 3:34:19 PM

Chronobodi said:
just curious, was the game not so good, what exactly sucks?

initially its fun, but seriously, the amount of time spent travelling from place to place will start grating on your nerves. Don't get me wrong the game is visually beautiful. great landscapes etc. The actual game play on the other hand leaves something to be desired. I cant elaborate enough on how repetative and generic the missions are. No matter what the "story" is behind a mission 90 percent of them are go here, kill some guy, and the only thing thats really different about those missions, is the little story that accompanies the mission, like "A weapons dealer is hiding out..." or "A drug smuggler operates here..." you can friggin interchange the mission details for them all and it wouldnt make a difference.

It may sound fun, but going there and killing some guy really gets annoying when you have to travel real time distances to get there. There are some "fast travel areas" but you still have to do a great deal of the foot work. Just wait till you are in the middle of nowhere and accidentally blow up your car and you have to friggin walk it. (fortunately cars seem to be laying all over the place)

Its a game world full of respawning enemies at certain points, in fact if a mission involves killing someone and you clear out an entire enemy base, a game day or so later they are all back. I never finished the game, and from what i understand im not missing anything with the ending. It really just got too tedious to play and was not having fun.
March 19, 2009 7:04:50 PM

I don't mind FC2, using the bus system alleviates much of the travel, I have not encountered any bugs but am also playing on 360.

As with farcry, I love being able to tackle a mission any way I see fit.
March 19, 2009 9:10:49 PM

My biggest problem with it is the lack of prone...

If that could be added it would make it so much better.
February 26, 2010 11:13:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!