an old motherboard problem

caashford

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
ive got an old motherboard (msi 6178) that i am just upgrading at the moment. it had a 466mhz processor in but i bought a new 900mhz one for $20. ive upgraded the bios to the most up to date one. but....
the problem is when i put it in and turn the power on, nothing shows up on screen. all the power turns on, but there are no sounds from the hard drives of anything loading.
my question is:
does this mean that the chip is broken?
is there any other way to recognise whether it is the chips fault or not?
when i put the old processor back the system comes back online no problem.
there is a setting in the bios that i could adjust for the ratio, but it only goes up to X8 suggesting a 800mhz is the max that can be put in the system, but the cpu support page says it can take a 900mhz chip.

if not any other suggestions? ive tried contacting MSI, but i reckon that the chances of a response are pretty low.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Chris

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The chip has it's own multiplier lock, so it doesn't matter if 8x is the highest you can manually set. Chances are it may be a bad chip. The best way to tell is to try the chip on another board.

I've never heard of a Tualatin Celeron 900, but it is possible Intel may have introduced one. It would say 256k in the chip code in that situation.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>